Cob Lovers Question

Merlod

Visit site
Around here there seems to be an incorrect mixture of trads hogged with feathers left or pulled mane with feathers clipped. Personally I prefer to see full mane and feather or completely hogged and feather clipped off.

ihatework

Visit site
For marketing & sales - gypsy cob = all the hair left on (assuming feather is good!)
If it's not true enough type but you are thinking a switch to show cob, then get the lot off!

meleeka

Visit site
I prefer them hairy, but I always trim beards. I don't think many can carry off the trimmed look, a hogged main will make a plain head look like a breeze block! I don't like clipped legs unless it's dine very well and often. The ones I know that have feathers clipped look like they have swollen fetlocks.
Mine has a stunning mane which is what makes him so handsome imo. I rarely brush it either.

Lydiamae

Visit site
My personal opinion is that the heavy cobs over about 15.2ish look nice hogged and clipped out.

Below this height I think they look much better natural with fairly long manes and full feather ��

Its all personal preferance though I suppose x

w1bbler

Visit site
I like the look of feathers on, but have got bored of looking after them & clipped off. In fairness he had a bit of feather mite & it has made checking the scabhing has healed much easier.

Jo1987

Visit site
I don't show mine so he's kept in a a practical way rather than worrying about looks - his legs are clipped March - October and left to grow for a bit of protection from the wet and mud in the winter.
I've hogged him over the summer the last couple of years to make it easier to wash him off but I'm letting it grow at the moment, not sure how far I'll let it go before I've had enough of it though, it's about 4" long and still sticking straight up 😂

Nasicus

Visit site
Prefer long hair and feathers, but my mare has manky legs, so long hair and clipped legs it is!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I don't own a cob but used to work for someone who used to show clipped and hogged but they were the right type to carry it off, I think unless they are the right type they should be left natural with their hair but full hair can be just as hard work especially if they are a true traditional the hair in the winter is a nightmare, they are prone to mites in the feathers when they are left on so I understand why people decide to clip.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I prefer them hairy, but I always trim beards. I don't think many can carry off the trimmed look, a hogged main will make a plain head look like a breeze block! I don't like clipped legs unless it's dine very well and often. The ones I know that have feathers clipped look like they have swollen fetlocks.
Mine has a stunning mane which is what makes him so handsome imo. I rarely brush it either.

I agree you never brush a full mane on any horse it just pulls it all out.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Mine's got three foot of mane and full feather. I love it.

WR23_zpsxgkw8hb5.jpg

Last edited:

Beth206

Visit site
My mare is all feather, mane and forelock which I LOVE but do often think about pulling it shorter as I forever spend my life plaiting it before riding as it gets in the way or plaiting it to turn her out to try help her stay cool. On a plus note it's a great fly fringe

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I kept my traditional, he would have looked silly hogged.

If your not showing I would keep the way that suits you and life style the best.

It can be a lot of work.

spacefaer

Visit site
I'm currently schooling a 16.1hh traditional type. The owner has left his feathers on, but hogged him over the winter. She is now regrowing the mane, as he's about to be put on the market, and he has 6" of vertical mohican at the moment! New owner can choose whether to continue to grow, or whether to hog again!

ponies4ever

Visit site
i hate feather mine kept treading on it so it was impractical as well as ugly (in my eyes obvi!). her mane is short and was viciously raked this week to get it down to being vaguely thin enough to plait. I would hog it but i like her slightly messy look it was a foot long but how people cope i don't know she was sweating horribly and i couldn't pat her when ridden ;(