Cob mare with her head on the floor!

emmajt93

New User
Visit site
Hi,

I've been riding a mare for about 7/8 months now. When I first started riding her she was very strong for me. However, I've cracked this with a lot of transitiong work and soft hands in the school. However, I took her jumping a few months ago, we approached a double and she hesitated with the first but did go over it, so the second one she didnt have enough momentum at all, refused and I came off. Ever since then when approaching a jump she tried to run out or stops dead. She will proceed to go over them if you are really forceful. But its as if she gets anxious and she canters off with her head really low so I struggle to slow her down. Last time I tried to jump her she refused with me, a more able rider got on and she continued to refuse, the girl came off. However she got back on and she did jump but she also reared which really isnt like her!

I'm thinking of going back to basics so trotting poles to get her comfortable. She always jumped and loves it, so I'm so confused!!!

Any advice???

Clare85

Visit site
How old is the mare and how far along in her education is she? If she is fairly green it may be that the initial problem with the double frightened her a bit and she's lost confidence. In which case, back to basics for a bit and lots of confidence building with poles on the floor and reducing the size of any fences.

If she's not particularly green she may just have realised that she can take the mick and get away with minimum effort, i.e. not jumping. In which case, again I would reduce size of fences so you're more confident riding into a fence, she needs to feel that you want to jump and are willing and able to get her to the other side. Then you can slowly build up again to more challenging questions.

Have you tried lungeing her over fences at all to see how she reacts?

emmajt93

New User
Visit site
She's about 17 and has done numerous jumping shows! Yes she could of been frightened. When she first started refusing I lunged her over the jump, well tried, she kept trying to refuse again. So unlike her! Yes maybe trotting poles and small fences would be better.

be positive

Visit site
At 17 and acting like that it sounds as if something hurts her, the first time she stopped was because she lacked impulsion which may have caused it to become more of an issue for her now, if the rearing is out of character it seems that she is trying very hard to get someone to help her, rather than forcing her get a vet to check her over, back, teeth and saddle need looking at also.