cob owners - ever thought about moving to a comp yard?

cheekywelshie

Visit site
I put this on the competition forum but am curious to hear from anyone -esp those with native breeds - has anyone moved to be near or at a comp yard because of lack of transport??

I am thinking of moving yards...partly because I have no transport. Now I am wondering whether it is silly moving to something that runs competitions when I have a Welsh Sec D and not an event horse! Trouble is I sort of got the bug after going on one of those Active Rider camps! We did XC and SJ and I loved it! I want to get out more but without transport it is difficult and it is an expensive hobby to hire transport all the time just to try out an XC course so your horse gets experience before the stress of a show. I know he isn't going to be BSJA or anything like that but I do like XC and the pony enjoys it too!! .the downside of competition yards is that a)they're expensive and b ) probably have restricted turnout... I guess the other alternative is to find a yard near a competition yard...or am I thinking too much about myself and not about what's best for the pony. He has lived out, lived in all the time before that (before I got him) and currently is on part livery but on restricted turnout - although out all Summer.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Well I keep my cob at home but if I had to be on livery then yes I would definitely think about moving to a Comp Yard, preferable somewhere that held unaff jumping/ trailblazers. I would have to be somewhere that did have all year turn out, even if just in the day, as Bodey doesn’t appreciate being stuck in the stable. Also had somewhere I could store the horse box.

Unfortunately it’s one of those things that you won’t really know if it’s for you and your horse until you try it.

Judziah

eumenides.deviantart.com
Strangely enough...I'm looking for livery for my section D x Traditional cob...and I considered Keysoe but one of the reasons I chose against it was the fact it's competition based! It doesn't help that my horse is rising 4 so only a real baby!!
I certainly don't think a section D would be out of place!!
grin.gif

cheekywelshie

Visit site
I can't find one without restricted turnout tho - they have to be in at 4 in winter and 5 in summer! WHich means Id have to pay for someone to bring him in..hmmm

kizzywiz

Visit site
I don't think you would be out of place, but if it will cost more as you say you will have to pay someone to bring him in, then could you not save that money towards some transport?

Squeak

Visit site
I think its a brilliant idea to move to a competition yard, when I was in your situation thats what I did and it worked really well, just make sure you get the right one. And no your welsh D wont look out of place
laugh.gif
Where are you based?

cheekywelshie

Visit site
Am based in Milton Keynes - near Brickhills. He is'nt too bothered about whether he's in or out, but if he were out on his own he would definetly want to come in!! He's lived in (when at a riding school for 6 months - they had no fields as it was in London), out - at the livery yard I had before i moved up here and currently on part livery, restricted to afternoon turnout (so I try get down in my lunch hour some days to lunge, less pressure to ride in evening)

The set times for coming in make me a bit concerned...and whether the competitions mean less time to use the facilities...but i guess i won't know unless i meet some of the people. The XC course there is fabulous - and we love doing XC - plus I want to do ODE (v low key one) there later in year

Not sure I would want him on working livery - the riding school he was at sold him because they found him hard work for novices (being a welsh D he probably took the mick a bit) and I think a one to one relationship (well two, as I have a sharer) works better with him. There's never a dull moment!

Gleeful Imp

Visit site
Not all comp yards are for big event horses - a lot attract riding club bods who enjoy riding club comps. So you'll find like minded people there which is good! Have a look at a few, and also see if there are any yards nearby you could hack from. There is a great comp venue near me I wouldn't want to livery at (no turnout) but there is a lovely little livery yard just opposite!

Good luck and enjoy
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

hollyandivy123

Visit site
be prepared for a new type of b***ch.................my cob type and me went to a dressage show when i was on an event yard with someone from the yard in their lorry......................i ended up beating them...............................they wrote to british dressage to complain how could something like my horse beat them....................i also was not good enough for lessons with the visiting trainers and my horse was not important enough for the back person