Cobs and jumping (again)

[131452]

Visit site
Apologies for posting again!
I'm viewing a 5 yo cob (pretty hefty) who's schooling nicely but hasn't jumped yet.
Just looking for ideas on how I could assess if he would jump in the future? IME you get cobs that jump very well with a nice technique and enjoy it, and then you get cobs that kind of scramble over the jump and don't seem to enjoy it. Max I would jump would be 3ft but I'd like the horse to have some technique so we could go to low level clinics and the odd clear round when he's a bit older.

So is there anything I should or could look out for other than asking them to take him over a cross pole and see what he does?
Sorry for all the questions , I'm a bit excited about this one!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Yes, but does the canter have a natural rhythm, is it flat, is it uphill, is his hind leg active, etc. Some are in an "outline" but really just pulling themselves around in their forehand. Yes, this can be fixed with work. However, if I see a horse with a natural rhythmic canter, not rushy, and a good natural balance, it makes my life easier, so to speak.

Could still be a crap jumper, but when your important work is done at the canter (jumping), it's an important gait to evaluate. And some horses simply don't care for jumping, so there is that. Feel it out and see what you think.

Nari

Visit site
Ask to see him loose schooled over a small fence. I don't think I'd want a lane set up, certainly nothing more than a single pole to guide in, because I'd want to see if he was happy to give it a try rather than jumping because he has no option. I'd like to see him do it a few times to see if anything changes on the second or third go. Attitude is nearly as important as technique to me, though clearly willingly falling over it isn't terribly useful!

GTRJazz

Visit site
Our Cob Sammy who is quite a lump would not go over a pole on two jump cups age 4 now he clears a five bar gate.

[59668]

Visit site
My cob didn't really understand how to trot over a pole when I got her age 4. Now, 3 years on, she LOVES jumping. We have done a lot of work on her canter, and just taking our time, getting her to find her feet and find that it's fun. I don't think theres really much you can do to assess to be honest.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I think most horses (bar drafts) can jump or be schooled on. Have you got a decent instructor? You’ve seen a lot of pics from cob owners, this is your 2nd thread on the same theme.If you’re keen on jumping, then are you sure you want a cob? They can jump, but it’s a never ending job to keep them slim and fit enough, totally do-able, but if you’re after a jumper, it might be an idea to buy something a bit more established.

utter-nutter

Visit site
i jump and hunt a 'gypsy' cob over some pretty big country! he was brought as a 'ploddy cob' for my mum and novice brother and bar seeing him pop a 80cm fence in the school, (which he did nice enough but nothing special) i didn't realise he had a such a 'ping' until he got naughty and got my mum off, so i rode and hunted him and never really gave him back :rolleyes: he's bloody awesome and such a safe jumper, my mum now hunts and jumps him. i don't think the previous owners had ever got him fit enough so that he could be more athletic and use himself a lot better, good luck! Attitude outweighs ability 10x over, he believes he can get over fences that physically he definitely isn't designed too! but he thinks he can, so he does! If i can work out how to attach an image i will!

abbijay

Visit site
woah hope you don't mean full irish draughts? i know plenty that jump! my one included!
I know plenty of actual drafts who jump! Mine included and they're both schooled properly.
Many modern british draught horses are much lighter than some of the cobs that are produced. Looking at pictures from working cob classes I think there are many fit heavies who are better placed than they are!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
woah hope you don't mean full irish draughts? i know plenty that jump! my one included!

I dunno if people are deliberately misconstruing what I’m saying today or I’m just being incredibly unclear (although I’m pretty convinced my spelling is correct!) Drafts as in for example a Shire or a percheron. I’d be far too concerned about their joints to want to go round a course on one! They were the 2 breeds I had in mind.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I think the issue is that the vague US term 'draft' and the Webster's spelling has crept into UK use.

Heavy Draught Horses - Shires, Clydesdales, Suffolk Punch, etc...
Light Draught Horses - Irish Draught, Cleveland Bay, Hackney, etc...

A Draught horse is just a horse that pulls something. So that can be a plough, a gig, a spider phaeton or whatever. Just using the word 'draught/draft' doesn't really tell you about the build of the horse, although they do use the word that way in the US. It's why 'heavy horses' was always the norm here. I hope it doesn't disappear as it's much more accurate.

abbijay

Visit site
I dunno if people are deliberately misconstruing what I’m saying today or I’m just being incredibly unclear (although I’m pretty convinced my spelling is correct!) Drafts as in for example a Shire or a percheron. I’d be far too concerned about their joints to want to go round a course on one! They were the 2 breeds I had in mind.
Firstly draft is the american spelling of draught. An Irish Draught is a specific breed, draughts generally are any horse used to haul large loads.
And i do know plenty of fit shires and clydesdales who jump. Ok, they'll never get round badminton or the hickstead derby but they do just fine for a nice days hunting or a farm ride.

Last edited:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I think the issue is that the vague US term 'draft' and the Webster's spelling has crept into UK use.

Heavy Draught Horses - Shires, Clydesdales, Suffolk Punch, etc...
Light Draught Horses - Irish Draught, Cleveland Bay, Hackney, etc...

A Draught horse is just a horse that pulls something. So that can be a plough, a gig, a spider phaeton or whatever. Just using the word 'draught/draft' doesn't really tell you about the build of the horse, although they do use the word that way in the US. It's why 'heavy horses' was always the norm here. I hope it doesn't disappear as it's much more accurate.

As I have explained, I was thinking of the very heavy types, like the 2 examples I gave.

Firstly draft is the american spelling of draught. An Irish Draught is a specific breed, draughts generally are any horse used to haul large loads.
And i do know plenty of fit ones who jump. Ok, they'll never get round badminton or the hickstead derby but they do just fine for a nice days hunting or a farm ride.

I’ve referenced what I was thinking of, no need for me to carry on. I’m well aware of what an ID is, thanks, had one stand on my leg some years ago. ?

[131452]

Visit site
The horse wasn't right for me, bit too reactive and I could see a potential for sharpness if he ever loses the weight. Tried him with a cross pole and his effort couldn't have been weaker. He may suit someone who wants to show and do dressage but he's not for me.
Thank you for all the opinions.
And yes I do want a cob or cross or something that's got a leg in each corner as opposed to a TB or a sports horse. I only jump about 2ft6 at the moment so not looking for a show jumper as such.

L&M

Visit site
i have a cob x connemara - he looks like a l/w show cob when hogged and trimmed in the summer, then a connemara when hunting fit during the winter. The cob makes him relatively sensible and the connemara gives him the 'ping'. He would be the type to take you round a 2ft 6 course all day long, but will go bigger if feeling brave.

I bought him at 4yrs old, and although hadn't jumped much, could see he had a natural good technique, and very neat in the front end, when popping a x pole.

So a cob x sounds a good bet.......