Cobs vs finer breeds

Rollin

Visit site
Someone mentioned Highlands, I have one now 20 years old. I also have Cleveland Bays. Look at Ormiston Highlands website. They have for years crossed Cleveland Bays with Highlands and produced very useful hunter types. I know people who have purchased these part-breds and have been delighted with the temperament.

http://www.ormistonhighlands.com/for-sale.html

JJS

Visit site
Someone mentioned Highlands, I have one now 20 years old. I also have Cleveland Bays. Look at Ormiston Highlands website. They have for years crossed Cleveland Bays with Highlands and produced very useful hunter types. I know people who have purchased these part-breds and have been delighted with the temperament.

http://www.ormistonhighlands.com/for-sale.html

What an unusual cross, Rollin, but what lovely horses they seem to make.

indiat

Visit site
I have a highland. He ticks all of your boxes, is a friendly, loving little guy and is a safe, fun ride. They are well worth looking at. Also adopted a little black and white cob from my youngest daughter from the RSPCA ho is proving to be a wonderful, steady pony. So I agree, go out and look at whatever ticks those boxes. But I do adore natives so I have to admit to having a soft spot for them!

mums the groom

Visit site
Connemara, or Connie X would be perfect I have always find them to be able to turn their hoof to anything I also have love of geldings over mares (had both). but you'll know the right horse when you meet it. Also don't over-horse yourself, under estimate your riding ability when looking for horse then you can cope with any suprises when you get them home.

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
Everybody will have a different idea of which breed you should look at and which breed you should avoid, but the only opinion that matters is yours.

Your criteria is very sensible and the only one that would probably rule out one particular breed is the "hardy" which kind of rules out TBs. Having said that, I know many TBs who cope very well with living out all year, grow coats like yetis, have rock-crunching feet and are as fat as butter so even that isn't a given.

Between now and buying, I'd try to ride as many different types as you can and ask as many questions as you can about them. This should start to give you and idea of what you like and don't like. When you're looking, keep an open mind and look for the traits you've mentioned above. You'll know 'the one' when you meet him/her!