Cocker Spaniel owners???

jen1

Visit site
Why are you sitting on your hands? am I not getting something here? Assume you are not fans of these dogs then??

I am not a dog expert but think the one i have is a fantastic family pet which is what the original post was about, surely as long as someone does the right research, and enough of it, before getting a dog it's better than getting one from either a puppy farm or some other disreputable place and not knowing how to care for the animal, regardless of breed?

If you have something to add then please do as it may help Katie_Southwest make the right decision on getting a dog, and assuming you are dog owners/lovers, or what ever, surely that is what we are all striving for??

MizElz

Visit site
Agree Jen1, if people have got something negative to say, it would be much better for everyone if they came out and said it! For my part, every cocker spaniel I have known has been utterly gorgeous, and I would love to have one some day in the future!

For those who are 'sitting on their hands', I take it you feel the need to condemn the breed completely, but are not brave enough to come outright and do so
confused.gif
. Just think for a minute about all the other breeds of dog that come in for bad press - German Shepherds, Rotweillers, Dobermans, Staffies etc. I believe to a large extent that a dog is what its people make it - unless, of course, it is of dubious breeding. If you have something really constructive to say, please just say it! I would be interested too!

Meadon

Visit site
I do know of one golden cocker spaniel who had cocker rage and was sadly put down because of this. It's not overally common though, I think. I have never had any problems with Tilly the solid chocolate dog. She 's very affectionate, bit like KatB says Tilly is my complete shadow. Although very friendly to other people it's me she only really fusses about.

CAYLA

Visit site
OK..then
tongue.gif

Nothing horrendous...just not my type of breed(wold not have one if they where the last breed in existence)
grin.gif
...agree with everyone else...choose a good breeder..this breed is very popular money maker for puppy farms/back street breeders.

We get alot through our rescue(probably the most common pedigree we get in)...we actually have 4 in at the moment..the youngest being 9 months old...more commonly handed in for snapping at owner or kids...no doubt due to owner fecklessness.
We rehome all of ours to the police.
Must say the ones I have met.....which is a fair few through our rescue alone, and the ones I board and groom...there are very few that have nice temperaments.
Just not my type of dog...would rather have a cavi as a small breed family pet.

I Like the cocker rage description...the ones we get in our rescue definatley suffered from this..lol
grin.gif

CAYLA

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sitting on my hands....

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me three!!
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on girls...fess up....u must have pins and needles by now
smirk.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
O.K. then as you asked.....................Wouldn't have one as a gift, have yet to meet one that I liked. The ones I have met and lived with have all tended to have slightly bad breath (not helped by the fact that they tended to be needy and get in your face, especially the boys), coats high maintenance (unless you have them clipped regularly) and has a tendancy to have a greasy/wet dog odour to it (especially their ears). All have been gobby (bark at anything and everything) and mouthy (seem to have a need to mouth hands & wrists). I'm sure some people love them and they probably make good family pets, but just not for me. I have only met one with rage a solid black bitch (but that was in the early 80's).

I didn't orginally answer as I'm not a Cocker owner and never will be!!! Don't get me wrong if I saw one in trouble, I would rescue it, but would have absolutely no problem rehoming it (provided I could find someone to palm it off on)!!!
smirk.gif

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
We have 6 working cockers. Only get one if you intend to do something with it and understand what they are bred for. They do not have to work, but they need to do something, even if its just lots of long walks. Ours have very active lives and are very quiet house dogs as a result.
There is a bit of info on our webpage www.thehendrys.freeserve.co.uk if you need some.
Cant comment on the show type as never had one, but the majority i have met through groomming and kennelling have been nice enough. Have encountered a few snappy, nervy ones though. I think cocker rage is more of an issue with show strais as they have been more intensively bred.
Our dogs are very much a one persons dog, although both my parents dogs will work for me or either parent, they are much happier when they are with their "boss".

jen1

Visit site
OK that's fine then!!

We all have our opinions lets face it if we all liked the same things life and the world would be a very boring place!!!

I chose my dog as a family dog and one that would be good with kids, he has turned out to be fantastic has never bitten anyone, been mouthy, loud, angry or anything else really, so maybe I have been lucky BUT as I said in an earlier post he is VERY well trained and i wouldn't take any nonsense from day one, he has always known where he stands in the household, but then again my first dog was the same, a collie cross, suppose it's a matter of getting on the right foot to start with.

Yes there's other breeds I would probably have preferred but I did research on 'family' dogs and Cockers along with Golden Retrievers came out tops when I was looking, that was 10 years ago, so maybe breeding has changed, and maybe for the worst over the years??

But hey ho each to their own, I own a cob and never thought I would have one of those big fat ugly things in a million years!!!
grin.gif

jen1

Visit site
Yeah well there you go no accounting for taste!!

Hope this thread has given you something to think about with the doggies!! let me know if you go ahead with it, maybe by PM??!!!

DSC002131.jpg

Hols180

Visit site
Couldnt resist but add a few photo's of my working cocker Poppy, she is still a pup, around 5 or 6 months in the pics.

I have really enjoyed reading through the replies, negative and positive, some of them did make me laugh as Poppy can be very clingy, and sometimes still mouths my hand when she is restless but this is all part of her character, and she is still young. Must say, she is the quietest dog I have known, very rarely barks, very quick to train, she has perhaps too much intelligence. Recall isnt the best but again she is learning.

She has never been agressive and never snappy, and to be honest I know alot of working cockers and none of them have ever been snappy, all been as soppy as the next!

onto photos:
n508610834_307988_5689.jpg

n508610834_239428_3175.jpg

n611000695_1861111_324.jpg

_April_

Visit site
She's beautiful Hollie!!

Ahhhh I really want one. Am trying to talk the BF around to cockers.... he likes Border collies!

Hols180

Visit site
thank you! She is my little angel, I would advise anyone (with an active lifestyle) to get one. I dont understand all the cocker haters out there! (ok so i'm slightly biased!)

TGM

Visit site
I've never owned a cocker, but our friends have had two now and we often have had them stay with us when they are away on holiday.

Both of them have/had absolutely wonderful temperaments, never shown any aggression and always great with children. However, they took expert advice on what lines to choose to get the best temperaments.

Downside for me is the 'gobbiness', barking at every little thing, and definitely quite clingy - always wanting to be on your lap, on your bed etc, which is fine if you like that sort of thing, but I like my dogs a little more independent.