Coffin joint arthritis. Shoes on or off?

TicTac

Visit site
My mare was diagnosed with coffin joint arthritis last week. She is lame and has been for the best part of a year now allthough on and off.

She has only had front shoes on for the last 2 years and had these removed for the x rays last week. So she has been completely with out shoes for a week now. The joint concerned was medicated but I wont be doing this again and she is on 1 danillon a day. She goes out into the field at night and is in during the day. This is only because of the rubbish weather we have been having of late.

Day one she was obviously uncomfortable but is moving around freely now and has even had the odd burst of trot and canter both in the field and our manege. She walks comfortably up a small concrete and brick path to the paddock.

At the moment I am undecided what to do with her. She is perky but will only ever be a
light hack so does not need ' performance ' feet. Even if I do hack her out, roadwork is minimal.

vet say's shoes for support and farrier is due tomorrow. So I will chat to him as well. I dont see how her being without shoes can make her any worse allthough I obviously want to make her as comfortable as possible. In all honesty if she becomes too uncomfortable, shoeless or otherwise I will have to do what's right by her.............

Those of you who have or have had horses with arthritis of the coffin joint. What seemed to work for your horse? Thanks

be positive

Visit site
I dont really see how shoes can offer any support to the coffin joint, if the frog is off the ground, which it often is when the horse is shod, there will be less support no more, in my opinion.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I am goog through a similar thing.

If you see my post today you will read after a year if treatment my gelding us still sore.
Vet suggested heart bar shoes.
Other people say barefoot, but he is getting worse and the time it would take him to get used to bring bare foot, I don't think would be fair.

I will speak to vet about upping devils claw and using bite long term.

TicTac

Visit site
I am goog through a similar thing.

If you see my post today you will read after a year if treatment my gelding us still sore.
Vet suggested heart bar shoes.
Other people say barefoot, but he is getting worse and the time it would take him to get used to bring bare foot, I don't think would be fair.

I will speak to vet about upping devils claw and using bite long term.

Oh sorry to hear. I will find your post and have a read through.

TicTac

Visit site
Bluecanoo1990 .Just had a look at your post. My mare has only just turned 12 and so far she only has articular ringbone in one foot. She doesn't rest her front legs like your horse appears to and walks and stands normally. She is obviously lame in trot though. I did note that you say you trot and canter your horse. IMO that wont help him at all and if my mare gets to the stage your gelding seems to be at, then I'm afraid I would have to say goodbye to her.

Everybody is different and will keep their horses going, no matter what for whatever reason. All I know is that my mare would be utterly miserable if she couldn't have a life outside of the field, even if that only involves walk hacks and a play in the manege for the rest of her life. However I am realistic and at the rate the bony changes have happened, that may only be for another year but I will cross that bridge as and when :-(