'Cold Backed'

Lydiamae

Visit site
I'm not over keen on the term 'cold backed' but I'm using it! I would like advice on my new 5yr old please. He is 5yrs old, unknown breed, probably Irish kind I think. 15.2hh dun and white. Not much of his history is known, other that he has been passed about a fair bit in that last few years between dealer and breeders. He is a great little sort, green but willing with a lovely pop.

His saddle is checked and fitted, his back has been massaged and checked, and teeth have been done, were just a little sharp. He is fed a pre and pro biotic supplement for his gut and lives out 17hrs a day.

He isn't bad at all to tack up, just a little tense when girthed, I've has a lot worse! He isn't great to mount. If my partner holds him and gives him a treat, he will stand. He occasionally shoots off once I am on. When you first ask him to walk off, he humps his back for about 10 strides, then calms and relaxes and works fine.

I would just like others experiences and advice please, I know he is young and am very willing to work with him:)

TIA

Lydiamae

Visit site
DirectorFury - thanks for your reply. No I haven't but he has no sensitivity at all to his back when groomer or prodded, vet said no soreness found so said at the moment an xray wasn't desperate

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Hard to know without his history, could be something clinical ulcers, KS, etc or it could be he hadn't been backed nicely and is anticipating someone heavy/rough or he could have had an injury and is remembering pain despite now being given the all clear from the physio.

I will say though that my baby horse can puff herself up for the first couple of strides, it is with her slight tension with the new added weight as she walks it off and when in regular work doesn't do it at all, and I will add she stands like a rock to get on it's just the first step with the additional weight.

I'd be tempted by a vet check, only becuase you mention he is also tense with the girth as well. There is a way of testing for pressure points that can point to ulcers but cannot remember the video showing it now!
I'd also possibly look at going back to basics and essentially re-back him to see if it was a result of a poor backing process?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
DirectorFury - thanks for your reply. No I haven't but he has no sensitivity at all to his back when groomer or prodded, vet said no soreness found so said at the moment an xray wasn't desperate

This will not rule out kissing spines, you need an x ray to do that. I've seen two horses with kissing spines that would have past this test. I would always x ray a cold backed horse. Though with yours I might test ulcer medication first, the symptoms are the same in your case.

Shay

Visit site
Its easy (and tempting) to jump to the medical solution. And of course that might be the case. But it could also be that he has bad memories of being tacked / mounted. We have an ISH who took us 2 years to tack and mount safely. He did not (and does not) have ulcers, KS or anything else. He was just roughly broken and no-ne had dealt with his issues so he got away with them. You tacked from his shoulder or he would have you with a hind foot. And legged the rider up whilst he was walking or he would strike forward at the rider as they mounted. (Don't get me started on pony club tack checkers standing at the girth!) Once ridden he was - and is - magnificent. I won't take up loads of post space with how you convince a horse you are not actually going to hurt them - that is old hat anyway. But there can be a behavioural cause for this. (Mind you I would never have described him as cold backed. He was a PITA with behavioural problems. But I've had cold backed horses - and he wasn't. Cold backed horses can't help it. )

Lydiamae

Visit site
Thank you Shay. I really appreciate your response. Could you please pm me any advice you have as I do think it is behavioural. Fin is also wonderful when ridden.

Wheels

Visit site
There may well be a behavioural problem but there also may be a medical problem which needs to be ruled out first IMHO

there's no point in trying to overcome a behavioural issue if it is caused by a physical issue and that would be my first port of call.

Once physical issues are ruled out then that's a different story but OP I would get back xrays/scans done at this point in time

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Behavioural mounting problems can be sorted with a few hours and the correct training and follow up. The problem is knowing if the person doing the training is competent.