Cold-backness worse in spring - sugar in grass affects nerves?

Morgan123

Visit site
Did I imagine this or is there a link between sugar in grass and nerve problems, such as headshaking? If so, could anyone point me in the direction of info - am googling but not finding too much.

Basically I've got a pony who's sort of cold backed (long story) and seems to get worse in spring. I seem to remember something about nerve issues such as headshaking being caused by imbalances in nutrition and that feeding either salt or magnesium helps, and am interested in whether this might help my pony. Any ideas/info? Thanks in advance!

charlie_george

Visit site
My pony gets more col backed in the spring, but he also gets magnesium deficiency, I also thought that maybe it's because he's gaining weight in the spring, maybe it was making his saddle tighter, I've changed his saddle and feed mag and he's much better, maybe worth a trial on mag ox

BBP

Visit site
I'm no nutritionist so don't take this as gospel, but my forage analysis showed my fresh grass to be very high in calcium (responsible for muscle contraction in very rough terms) and much lower in magnesium (responsible for muscle relaxation), the ratio between the two ought to be 1.5/2 : 1 but mine is closer to 3:1. So if you look at it like the idiot I am, there is much more of what the horse needs to tense up than there is for it to relax down. It makes sense to me that with an abundance of calcium at this time of year that the horses nervous system is a little out of whack.