Cold weather alert from met office

Zero00000

Visit site
Posted here for maximum exposure

Met office have released a cold weather alert, currently level 2 with expectations to increase to an amber warning in the coming days
Please prepare

(referenced from London and the South East weather page on Facebook)

Current alert level: Level 2 - Alert and Readiness

Issued at: 08:51 on Wed 21 Feb 2018

There is an 80% probability of severe cold weather/icy conditions/heavy snow between 0900 on Friday 23 Feb and 1200 on Monday 26 Feb in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

As the weekend approaches, average temperatures are likely to fall bringing a likelihood of meeting low temperature criteria across all regions. This with mainly fine and dry weather initially until Sunday, where snow showers will become more likely. The cold continental east or southeasterly wind will also become a factor, strengthening enough to give significant wind chill. The alert is likely to be reviewed on Friday, and perhaps upgraded and extended further into the new week as the cold weather looks likely to continue.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

Zero00000

Visit site
Models are showing this could be horrendous, if everything stays as it is, there is potential for very very cold weather and quite a depth of snow

Being nick names 'the beast from the east'

Remember to stock up for yourself too

windand rain

Visit site
On this occassion I think the west is going to come off lightly as its coming straight from siberia across the north sea non of which is a very warm direction

mcnaughty

Visit site
Mmmm yes - keep hearing about this and various weather maps pinging up all over FB at the moment too. I have to say that I've don't and bought our Shetland a new rug as I clipped out his front end the other day and I've also bought the pony a new medium too as his other one is hanging on with on buckle, neck that doesn't fit well and a ripped tail guard. I was going to make him wear it for the rest of the winter but thought I should probably prep for the worst. Oh and we will be keeping the water topped up in the field whilst the hosepipes are not frozen. We got caught out during the last snowy spell!!!

sarahann1

Visit site
Despite that what the video is saying, the forecast for our area isn't anything out of the ordinary for this time of the year. I'll take each day as it comes just now and ride as much as I can just in case we have to have a break for frozen arenas.

tda

Visit site
Despite that what the video is saying, the forecast for our area isn't anything out of the ordinary for this time of the year. I'll take each day as it comes just now and ride as much as I can just in case we have to have a break for frozen arenas.

Same here, to me it seems that during the daytime it's gonna be really nice and dry for a few days running, yay! And not that cold overnight either ? Yorkshire x

samlf

Visit site
Well I'm in the South East right in the middle of the area that is apparently going to be worst affected, the lowest day time temperature predicted for the week (BBC Weather app) is 0C. Cold, but I cant see it worthy of an alert.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I'm really looking forward to it! Dry, cold, fantastic!

Might head out onto the field on Saturday with some planks on my feet to smash the ruts out before it goes rock hard.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I'm really looking forward to it! Dry, cold, fantastic!

Might head out onto the field on Saturday with some planks on my feet to smash the ruts out before it goes rock hard.

Have you ever actually done this with success? Im scared to admit I tried it .. failed, face planted ... didnt do it again, lol!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Have you ever actually done this with success? Im scared to admit I tried it .. failed, face planted ... didnt do it again, lol!

Don't ruin my short lived dream! I was hoping to do it with my dad, and he's bound to fall as he has no feeling in his legs. I'll make sure our efforts are videoed ;)

Cecile

Visit site
My husband often says - there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing
So I took this to mean everyone needed new rugs just in case :)

Abi90

Visit site
It's winter it's what happens! must admit not heard much from the global warming brigade lately

Global Warming isn’t a thing. Climate Change is. Some places will get hotter some will get colder and extremes will become more common. And there are lots of fluctuations that affect it such as El Niño. This is weather not climate and does not constitute a trend

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Fleece lined jods & an extra jumper, be reet. I just cuddle Dave, he's like a yak.

The days look lovely, sunny & cold here in Nottingham, perfect for getting some work done with said woolly unclipped yak.

I am usually fine to ride after a bit of mucking out or poo picking to get the blood moving to my rubber hands & feet. Though my boots did freeze to the metal ramp of the muck trailer tonight!