Colic again - just back from yard!

Taboo1968

Visit site
Have spent the last few hours on colic watch!

went up yard this afternoon, horse fine..... if not a little grumpy, but thats nothing from the norm for him....

back to yard at 5.30 pm.... said horsey looks fine, eating hay..... still grumpy

Mucking out the others I heard a horse going down (that tell tale groan) and asked my son who it was..... then asked him to check Ginger.... he came back, saying he's fine, he's laying down.... went off to investigate myself, looked normal and just like he was taking the weight off his legs..... so being the extremely cruel mother that I am, I made him stnad back up..... seemed ok..... (horse lulling me into false sense of security here..... ) Went back to mucking out, heard the groan again, went back down to stable and there he was flat out with head twisted in the horrible way only a colicking horse knows how to!
Horse dragged to feet.... horse walked, horse let loose in school and despite a few bucks accompanied by the desired release of gasses..... he went back down hill again.... kept curling his lip up and glancing at his sides.... called the vet, which was an adventure in itself.... had to ring three times to get the mobile no from the answer phone, tried the vet three times, answerphone stating call the surgery on a different number, called surgery, answer phone, saying call vet on mobile number or landline number.... called landline number..... and guess what I got..... another answerphone..... was beginning to wonder how on earth i would eventually get hold of a vet as I seemed to be going round in circles at this point..... rang vet mobile and left a message....
Hallelujah, ten mins later, vet calls and says he'll be with me in 45 mins.....
Start walking horsey round in the dark...... take him back to stable, and he literally puled me in there and made a run for his haynet which he promptly starts munching on like there is no tomorrow!!! Owner now wondering if she has imagined who thing and is being totally paranoid!!! Vet arrives, horse still munching away, although I had listened to his gut sounds and they were, as I would say, over active on the right side.... vet confirmed this.... put on his big pink glove just to have a rootle around and make sure everything was ok and there were no blockages.... then out came the horsey's fav drug, Buscopan along with a nice painkiller.....
Had to remove hay.... horse really not impressed! Told to check later and check for droppings, so just back from yard and horse fine.... if not a little fed up that he is not allowed any hay till the morning! I keep telling him, if he gets bellyache, it defeats the food thing! But to no avail!
Will let you all know if anything changes!

Fiona_C

Visit site
OMG
shocked.gif
just when you thought this was going to be a thing of the past hopefully
frown.gif

((hugs))

Taboo1968

Visit site
yeah... great!!! And I have a feeling I know what set it off..... nothing has changed in his routine at all apart from having a therapy treatment today.... and low and behold what does he do tonight!!!!
bright eyed and bushy tailed now..... with the ever so cute look of "can I have some hay now pleeeeease mum" Unfortunately no hay till the morning.... you'd think by now he would have learnt that one???

Taboo1968

Visit site
Aha..... hello from the ginger I'm throwing myself on the floor TB!!!! Berluddy animal!!!! Luckily twas only mild and caught early..... at least new vets now are prepared to stick on the big pink glove and have a poke around..... much better service than old vets!!! well I seem to think so, though I think ginger has something to say on that matter..... quite funny to hear vet stating that his arm is a little thicker than the nice lady vet who adorned herself with a pink glove back in the summer!!!!
He shall be winging his way to you if he continues.......

Dougie

Visit site
bless maybe he's into that sort of thing....however one mustn't discuss such things on a family forum lol.

he's more than welcome up here, im looking for a challenge...however a challange of ginger propertions may be a little much. think i will stick to my new toy....the 17hh WB.

how are the rest of ur unruly mob??

Taboo1968

Visit site
They are all fine thanks mate...... seriously, he will not be emigrating with me next year if he's going to carry on like this! Silly horse was absolutely fine until a certain 17.2 WB came into my life!!! Since he arrived I've had nothing but colic attacks!!! He's like a younger sibling wanting attention and throwing his teddies cos its now shared!!!!
Where's the gun?

Dougie

Visit site
he can move up here when u jet off, he sounds as high maintainence as me....we would get on fab!!!!

oh and our senior assistant got her gun licence thing
smile.gif

im off, need to try and get some sleep b4 2mrw.

ring me if any problems with his lordship, will text u my new number to make sure u have it

dougie xx

Taboo1968

Visit site
Had just clicked the reply button when YODA starts screaming from the table "Message from the Dark Side There Is" That made me jump! Have replied.... Will let you know when I get to needing gun stage.... haven't quite figured out who to shoot first, Ginger, WB or me!!!!

Taboo1968

Visit site
Brilliant text Ariat!!!! Hope you dont mind me sharing this one on here.... but it did make me giggle!!!

U know as well as I do... if the wind changes direction too quickly, or a leaf falls off a tree the wrong way, that silly goose does the dying swan act. Threaten him with going to be a riding school pony.... that will scare the crap out of him

My answer, its not the crap we have a problem with, its the gasses!!!

Dougie

Visit site
haha glad i cheered u up but its true hes more tempramental than me.

but the RS threat works a treat, shouted it tot the anglo the last time she started dancing her back legs at a horse eating carrier

"i swear horse either put four feet back on the ground or your off to the ******* riding school...never mind the bloody knackery" and guess what shes been an angel this last few weeks lol

Taboo1968

Visit site
Have coligone liquid.... that didn't work this time I'm afraid..... and he has also been on the powder, although long term looks like it may be the way to go with him.....

Taboo1968

Visit site
Well he was fine this morning.... so was allowed his hard feed and hay..... went back at lunchtime and he was lying down which threw me into an immediate panic.... but he was literally this time taking the weight off his legs!!!!!

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
Not saying everyone should do it but personally I use caffeinated coffee at first sign of attack, if its not kicked in and released gasses/poooo in 30 mins then vet is called (unless its compaction/or looking very serious...) in which case vet gets called and almost has his own ruddy key for giving jabs!!

More american than uk and decaff does not work, its something to do with caffeine.

HOWEVER, you should always call a vet....each horse is different and would hate to think of someone trying this when vet should have been called and losing a horse!

Think I have covered all! But everyone knows their horse best!!

Taboo1968

Visit site
I've heard about coffee... but being truthful, dont dare try this as he is sensitive enough without adding to the mix.... Usually with the coligone liquid, we get the desired effect, just this time he was determind that een though we had the desired effect, he was going to continue his dying swan act!!!! But I know what you mean about vet having own key for giving jabs!

Tootsiepop

Visit site
My new horse has colicked twice since we got him - I'm lucky to have a fab vet. He has told me that alot of colic is caused by chaff type feeds alfa alfa etc. He told me not to feed any coarse mixes or chaff/chops.

He advised me to feed plain old cubes, sugar beet and boiled linseeds (made by soaking the seeds overnight and then boiling them up - apparently it keeps their insides well lubricated)

I don't know if this is appropriate for your horse but it has certainly helped mine.
Toots

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
My TB does this...but in her case it's whenever she eats sugary grass....so I restrict her grazing and feed her hay/haylage instead.
I also feed D & H 16 +, Graze on (pure dried grass as chaff) and speedibeet....with Protexin probiotics....this seems to keep her down to roughly one colic every year or two...
Hope he's better soon.
S
grin.gif