Colic

Squeak

Visit site
Being footy isnt surprising. Change in bowel environment tends to translate to hoof changes. Ive noticed in mine if i dont watch/monitor strictly spring grass intake, after having majority hay in winter, the sudden influx of grass causes swift bowel bacteria changes and footiness within 2 days. I immediately put a footy horse on probiotics and its a swift fix for footiness caused by bowel distress.

Others who have dealt with colic first-hand can advise better than me, but i am wondering if low dose probiotics is a good step at this stage of his recovery to help slowly repopulate his bowels? Did your colic vet mention probiotics useful for recovery? Maybe worth a phonecall to enquire with the colic vet?

Just the movement of a few hours grazing will be great for his gut health anyway after being stabled so long....you may well find the footiness eases up by itself with the additional grass microbes slowly introduced into his gut.

One of mine had a bout of colic recently due to a flush in grass and the vet recommended using a probiotic when needed so it might well be worth asking about.

Really pleased to read another positive update. How lovely for him to be able to be out in the field again.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I think there is plenty of nutrition left in grass at the moment. My colic x 3 episodes mare is having an hour grazing a day on a patch of ground that has some grass on it. Her breath has that very sweet spring grass smell to it and her poo is more like what you would expect from a horse grazing early May grass growth. I am being more than careful with her at the moment.

cheekywelshie

Visit site
One of mine had a bout of colic recently due to a flush in grass and the vet recommended using a probiotic when needed so it might well be worth asking about.

Really pleased to read another positive update. How lovely for him to be able to be out in the field again.

What kind of probiotic? Like the pink mash stuff? I’m not well up on probiotics as you can tell!

cheekywelshie

Visit site
6 weeks today sine *that* morning ! Feels like 6 months!

He will complete his rest early feb but I’m thinking, all being well, to leave it until March to bring him back starting with long reining round the farm for short periods.

The last time I brought him back into work after colic surgery he was 7! Does anyone have experience bringing older horses back? Am trying to decide whether to bring him back just to hack rather than eventually return to how he was in September.