Collagen Granuloma - treatment success?

LegOn

Visit site
My 6 year old has developed a collagen granuloma on his back & I want to get rid of it... He has being doing well in showing & I don't want his showing career to be over before it's started 😕

Has anyone had success with getting rid of them with steroid injections or any other treatments??

whiteflower

Visit site
I would leave well alone. One of mine broke out in vast numbers of them following a reaction to a fly bite. We had a biopsy done to confirm. I carried on showing with no issue at all. I feed a linseed based skin supplement that the vet believed helped as after a year the lumps could be squeezed, a collagen 'core' would come out the middle and they would go. The occasional one comes back as I guess the horse is susceptible but I just use a fly rug and ignore until they are ready to pop !

LegOn

Visit site
Thanks a mil for the reply! Do they not go against the horse in the show ring though?? He just has one large one at the moment- not bothering him at all but I thought it would be a mark against him showing.

whiteflower

Visit site
I showed mine at county level all over the country very successfully with no issue. There were several clustered on neck. Certainly was never mentioned and was well placed. I think we as owners notice more than the judge will ! It could just as easily be a big fly bite that's just happened in the ring !
Go out and have fun, it will go in its own time. Just make sure it never gets rubbed or irritated and it will eventually sort itself (the vets told me they wouldn't go, both horses I've known with them they went over time)

irishdraft

Visit site
My horse had one come up on his back which was under the saddle so was proving a pain . I used bloodroot ointment on it this broke down the skin around it and left the collagen core which I was able to pull out with tweezers . It then healed up and never had a problem sInce although he has a small scar there now.

LegOn

Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone! I had planned to try do a few big showing shows so I'm guessing it might be an issues further up the ranks... but I'm not sure. I would prefer to try get rid of it!!

I'm going to get a second vet to have a look at it & ring around to see if they have had any success with treatments. I can ask about the Bloodroot ointment then aswell - thanks Irishdraft.

whiteflower

Visit site
I think if you are worried about it being a blemish that will affect the horse in the ring I would definately avoid bloodroot. Ive used it on growths on vet advice and it caused a lot of scaring where skin sloughed off. Unless it's massive or not hair covered I doubt the judge will even notice. On my horse they were large pea sized and never an issue.

LegOn

Visit site
I just thought I would update this for anyone interested in the future.

The first vet that looked at it said it was a collegen granuloma & to ignore it, it would go down by itself. I got a 2nd opinion just to cover all bases and mainly because I wanted it gone!
2nd vet wouldnt name it and didnt want to do a biopsy incase it left a blemish, so he treated it topically with Isaderm gel (which has antibiotic and steriod in it), this did take it down a small bit but it was still too prominent for me, so after 2 weeks of the gel and 2 weeks of just leaving it alone - he agreed to inject it. Under standing sedation, he injected a small dose of cortisone into the lump (well several injections all around into it & under it!) and 2 days later - lump is now flat & not an issue! No adverse effects - 3/4 days off riding & with some more application of Isaderm gel to keep out any infection in the site - all good!