Collapsed Heels, Navicular Syndrome

diesel1981

ammanford
Hi myself and a friend have recently taken on a 12yr old TB gelding (unraced) who has collapsed heels on all 4 feet and navicular syndrome. He would have been destroyed if we hadn't taken him. Does anyone have any experience or advice on either of these conditions?
Also this horse is an insurance write off, is it possible to insure him but not include his feet?

He's a lovely boy but has a long road ahead of him to get well, any advice will be greatly appreciated

BigRed

Visit site
You can insure him for third party with anyone, and very likely get cover for the rest of his "body" with his feet excluded. It really depends on what type of cover you want.

Are you hoping to give him some more years as a field ornament, or were you hoping to get him sound ?

diesel1981

ammanford
hi Tracey01

Thanks for replying
Our vets say with proper care he may come sound, if he doesnt i hope he'll be healthy enough to enjoy being in the field. He has already improved in the month we've had him.
His feet have been neglected through total ignorance but we have traced some of his history and he was once a lovely riding horse so fingers crossed

cellie

Visit site
I have lou going through on my tb hes 8 but I have had him from 4 year old.He had collapsed heels but with good farriery and help from vets(xrays) his heels are looking really good.Not sure if he will ever be sound as he has soft tissue injury as well.Im currently looking for companion home for him but insurance company are happy to insure with exclusion on feet.Hope that helps
grin.gif

maggiesmum

Visit site
I'd recommend doing some research on barefoot trimming, my TB (ex-racer) was diagnosed with it and after lots of researching I contacted a barefoot trimmer and removed his shoes, we've never looked back! He's fully sound and is going the best he's ever gone, don't believe anyone that says TB's can't live without shoes!

TheFarrier

jamesthefarrier.co.uk
In this case i would suggest (without having seen the horse bare in mind) barefoot.

Horse will need at least 6mnth to a year to get the heels right and this will take regular trimming. But your best bet is barefoot

Pondrider

Visit site
I second maggiesmum and TheFarrier:

my ex-race TB had collapsed heels and was diagnosed with Navicular four years ago, but she's barefoot with me and still manages to hack and hunt - she's actually more sound barefoot than when she was shod . (We did use boots for the transitioning phase, though).

Go for it - sound like horse can only really get better from what you say about current state of feet.

diesel1981

ammanford
awwwww thanks so much guys its nice to have a bit of hope xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A1fie

Visit site
My horse was so lame with navicular 18 months ago that she was going to be pts. Shoes were taken off and made a huge difference. He is now sound.

We have a great farrier at the yard who really helped. He has just put some clogs on him as he was getting a bit sore from the hard ground. He looks like he's wearing platforms!!

Good luck - it may not be the end of the road.

diesel1981

ammanford
such positive respone thanks everyone...seriously thinking barefoot is the way, my old vet has just come back from his hols and says the same, shoes off, boa or old mac's for the transition period and regular trimming