Collapsing over jumps

rosiesmumof4

Visit site
I am currently teaching my son to ride, he showed no interest for years but then suddenly had surge of interest. He rode my old companion pony twice a week for six months then I bought him a cob about four months ago and in general they are making pretty good progress together. ( background, I used to teach riding years ago, teach other things now, have evented up to OI, backed several and schooled many)
However when he is jumping he sometimes completely collapses over the jump. Eg today showjumping at 75 cm, most of the course he was fine but three of the fences he totally collapsed on her neck.
I could do with some suggestions of exercises to work on this with him ( absolutely no money for lessons from anyone else at the moment, lots of massive extra expenses this month)
Thanks

Lolo

Visit site
How old is he? It could be a case of him just not having that core strength/ stability to reliably be able to hold himself over fences. If hes been riding properly for 4 months it's good progress he can jump courses of fences.

Lots of work in the jumping position/ 2-point, and the general things that they all do in the PC- touching toes, touching ears, touching tail, no stirrups...

rosiesmumof4

Visit site
thanks, yes i guess he just needs more of all those exercises, we have been doing them all. He is 12 so should be more than strong enough but maybe he needs to work on his core, sit up city for him then :)

sportsmansB

Visit site
Loads of changing position on the flat at trot and canter until he can do it without getting off balance and/or losing the contact (normal position/jumping position/sitting trot etc) and then over poles on the ground..
If you have somewhere safe and can set up a wee grid and send him down it with the reins in a knot and no hands it would be fun for him too (depends on the honesty of the horse!)

Lolo

Visit site
No, age doesn't give you strength, especially for riding. Horse riders, even the weaker ones, tend to have a considerably better than average core strength.

Lunge work as well, rising trot without hands and that sort of thing. But even without particular focus in his training he'll get better as he does more, especially long hacks with rising trot/ two point canter.