Collarbone broken, when could I ride again?

Miley jumper

Visit site
I broke my collarbone on 21st July. It's been plated and have 5 screws holding it together. Got a sling for 6 weeks, so nearly half way there. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this brake and had it plated, when is riding on the cards again? I showjump up to foxhunter level. The doctor says horses are dangerous and that as a rider I'm not likely to take his advise and hang up my boots!!

horserugsnot4u

Visit site
Ouch! I sympathise. I was advised not to ride until I had plates out (10 months later). The reasoning behind it was that the plates held the bone artificially strong so if you had another accident it could not 'give' ie break again so more serious damage could be done elsewhere, unless of course you were lucky (unlucky) enough to fall and break the other side! Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Miley jumper

Visit site
I did wonder about that, I watched a rider with a plate fall on the XC and she really damaged her shoulder. I suppose your collarbone is designed to snap to ensure your shoulder doesn't.

Did you wait then?

Dizzydancer

Visit site
It will depend really- i am surprised you have sling for 6 weeks now its plated- usually 2 weeks then just as support if required.
The longer its in a sling stiffer shoulder gets- after 6 weeks you won't have strength or movement at shoulder for a good few weeks after sling off. Iv just had finger out of splint after 1week and its stiff as a board.
My OH did his collarbone mountain biking last year but his plate has to stay in- he had it plated 2 weeks after break, waited another 6 weeks til went back to work, he is an engineer so needed to be pretty good. Road biked at this point but didn't mountain bike for 4 months post surgery- it takes 12weeks for bone to actually heal up so i made him weight- yes if that shoulder was to go again it would be both sides of plate and quite a mess but due to his break it has to stay.
Hope you heal quickly.

JackInABox

Visit site
I broke mine four weeks ago and had a plate and six screws put in a week later and all being well my plate is meant to stay in. I've had the sling on continuously for the three weeks after the operation and am now starting to take it off for short periods. At my physio appointment two weeks after the operation I was told not to move my arm above 90 degrees to the shoulder for the next four weeks.

I was riding again straight after this appointment (so three weeks after the break and two weeks after the operation) but only for a five minute walk around the school on a very bombproof pony and being led the whole time. I've got four weeks of doing that before my next appointment, and I'm hoping that then I'll be able to trot and canter in the school without a leader. I've been told to expect to have a total time of about eight to twelve weeks after the operation before I can jump and hack again, but I'm just happy to be back in the saddle after so short a wait!

That said it's going to be different for everyone and above all I was told to immediately stop doing something if it caused me any discomfort or pain.

Miley jumper

Visit site
Thank you.... There is hope yet!
I wouldn't describe my warmblood as bombproof, she was at peak fitness when I had the accident (on another horse!) so she's likely to put my arm under pressure at the minute.

I too have been advised small movements and sling off for short periods.

Hope you feel better and get back to riding as before very soon.

TrasaM

Visit site
I broke mine a year ago and it was plated too. I was back riding gently at 9 weeks and started my lessons at 12 weeks after I got the all clear from the hospital. It hadn't mended quite as much as they wanted at 6 weeks. I however started getting physio two weeks after I broke it which really helped getting mobility back. If you've not had a physio referral it's really worth asking for. It's all settled down quite nicely and the plate isn't causing any problems. Good luck with the rest of your recovery.

Miley jumper

Visit site
Thank you. I'll speak to my doctor as I'm seeing him next week.

Is your plate staying in? Has the scar faded?

Mine scar is huge and still very noticeable, goes from breastbone to shoulder, now the swelling has gone you can actually see the plate!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
This is interesting if a little gruesome with all the talk of plates and screws!!
I broke mine on the 28th July, not plated and the doc scared the bejesus out of me with talk of it snapping completely...

Anyway I've been told I can do nothing for the next few weeks, until I go back for my x-rays on the 22nd.
He didn't mention any physio or exercises to do? But he was quite insistent I should do nothing (I'm allowed to eat and type lol) and keep it in a sling.

Has anyone else had a collarbone break but not had it plated, and if so when were you back riding?
I'm hoping after the next x-ray (so just short of four weeks after the break) it will have healed, but am I being very optimistic?

x x

TrasaM

Visit site
Miley J. The scar is really neat. It's now faded to a thin white line. Mine broke near where it connects to my shoulder and initially they thought that they were putting in a removable plate but I ended up with a permanent one with 8 screws! Which they are reluctant to remove but assured me that if it caused any problem they would do so. That would mean waiting for it to heal all over again though so best avoided I think. However reading the other posts about the consequences of falling on it again is making me wince. I'm blocking that possibility out.
I did mine when the horse I was on tripped and slipped as she tried to get her footing. I went one way and she went the other. I'd never ridden her before..nor since ! Such a stupid mishap and the only time I'd taken a tumble off a horse. And how very very painful!

Miley jumper

Visit site
A lady I know broke hers, clean break no displacement. Had a sling for 8 weeks and like you told not to do a thing.
She did exactly that and the bone healed well. She broke it last May and was competing by August BH.
Her doctor said because she was over 30 that bone growth would be slower.

I'm glad I've had the plate, I seem to be able to do a bit more than she did, within reason. However I did have a completely displaced fracture, the shoulder end of the collar bone was in my rib cage, I had emergency surgery. I was XC schooling a horse and fell onto the jump, which didn't move!

Get well soon!

TrasaM

Visit site
Alex. I have a friend who broke his in a cycling accident. I think cyclists are possibly even higher on the stats for this break :) his wasn't fixed and its led to his shoulder and arm movement being impaired because it mended crooked. He is going to have to have his operated on to straighten it out. Maybe if your hadn't snapped completely then you will be fine.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Hi thank you for the replies :).

It will have quite a lump on it I think, but here's a picture if it helps:
photo9_zps1ec0cf79.jpg

hmm still not very positive recoveries :eek:, really need to be able to use it by the 11th September as I'm at the Cherif :eek:. Will be gutted if I miss it :(.

I broke it in fairly dramatic style apparently, I was SJ Topaz and we fell after a fence, with Topaz going all the way over too :(, luckily she is fine and the saddle :D, just me that broke!

Hopefully the doc will give me some good news on the 22nd, Doodle is about as good as you get so she will definitely look after me, but I'm don't want to do any permanent damage by using it too soon...
It will be just longer than 6 weeks from break to the Cherif, hopefully as it is not all the way through it will have healed enough for me to sit and look pretty on her ;).

Yeah a cyclist has been scaring me with his stories lol, and I'm 23 so hopefully youth is on my side, when I broke my arm it healed in four weeks...

x x

loopiesteff

Visit site
I broke my collar bone in September 09, riding accident, had it plated. Had 6 weeks off work, no sling after op though. Was told 12 weeks no riding. Got the all clear to ride on NYE! Proceeded to fall off (again!), so went home and partied! 3 operations later and I'm still not fixed :( major shoulder issues!

I had it re-plated in March 10, and then keyhole beginning of June 10. Metal work is all still in, and staying in!

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Alex- my OH's brothers GF broke hers last jan cycling accident also- hers wasnt plated, as like yours wasnt a clean break but only a crack through. Hers wasnt operated on apparently 3 criteria for op are- 2.5cm loss of length in women (2 in men), risk of coming through skin, malunion at 6weeks post fracture. She had s;ing for 6weeks but then couldnt move her arm at this point ended up with frozen shoulder- she had it steroid injected and physio and prob from end august she had full range of movement.
Yours looks pretty neat actually- and i doubt you will loose much from it- when not plated it is standard 6weeks in sling and no movement- you need to let it heal, at 6 weeks gentle riding shouldnt be an issue as long as it is looking positive on x ray and then build up gradually- bare in mind until 12weeks it wont have actually calloused completley and complete healing takes 1yr. (ps im a physio)

Mr Punch

Visit site
I broke mine in February and been nothing but problems
since. Was a nasty break and the bones were hardly touching. Hospital decided it would heal and had to wait 2 months. My Doctor told me pretty much once I could lift my arm up to get on as normal which didnt happen !

They decided in April giving me a days notice that they would plate it. Since its been operated on have had nothing but problems with my arm. Can't lift it up properly. Have no strength in it it lift anything up. My arm is totally dead in a morning and can't lift it up. Get pins and needles down my arm into my hand. Shoulder is constantly sore. Had an X-ray last week. Told Doctor about my problems and really wasnt interested ! However now says bone is not fusing and likely to need the plate taken out, have a bone graft and another plate put it ! Hope yours heals better ! X

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Well you bunch have very cheery stories ;).

Thank you Dizzydancer, that sounds like what I was hoping for :). It should be a case of just sitting on her and guiding her round at the Cherif so I might make it yet.

I think I will have to see what the next x-ray shows and go from there.
Sorry for a slight thread hi-jack OP, I hope you heal soon and everyone else currently injured.

x x x

Moya_999

Visit site
Ouch. I broke my shoulder blade and collarbone back in 1987. They said it would heal properly but sadly it did not. The bones overlap and I had a bump to show for it. I wont go into detail but I have serious handcap and disability now in that shoulder.
It was mainly the fact I broke the shoulder blade which caused the issues. We don't bounce like we used to when you get older.

TrasaM

Visit site
I broke mine in February and been nothing but problems
since. Was a nasty break and the bones were hardly touching. Hospital decided it would heal and had to wait 2 months. My Doctor told me pretty much once I could lift my arm up to get on as normal which didnt happen !

They decided in April giving me a days notice that they would plate it. Since its been operated on have had nothing but problems with my arm. Can't lift it up properly. Have no strength in it it lift anything up. My arm is totally dead in a morning and can't lift it up. Get pins and needles down my arm into my hand. Shoulder is constantly sore. Had an X-ray last week. Told Doctor about my problems and really wasnt interested ! However now says bone is not fusing and likely to need the plate taken out, have a bone graft and another plate put it ! Hope yours heals better ! X

That's not good. :-( . I've got a numb patch on my upper arm where a nerve was snipped during the operation. THe muscle underneath is ok though. Can you request a physio referral or ask for a 2nd opinion. I think you are entitled to both. I realise reading the other stories how lucky I was with mine as it was plated within 3 days. Hope you get it sorted . :)

Spotsrock

Visit site
waited about 4 days but mine wasn't plated.

When I had my jaw broken in 3 places and plated I managed to wait a week and then only rode smooth paced ponio in walk first day and walk trot canter after couple days. jaw was wired so not much scope for movement!

I absolutely did not jump ponio in the first month. Honestly. I didn't. I'm sticking to my story. I did not jump. Lol

Strugged getting off my big lad as the landing jolted a bit

mandyroberts

Visit site
I can't sleep - and reckon my story beats most of you.
Dec 2002 - horse flips while cantering, collar bone breaks.
Sling etc - at 5 weeks am rushing trying not to do stuff and pick up haynet with bad arm.
Lay on settee for rest of evening in pain and get undressed to see red wine stain on my shoulder but due for check up 3 days later so hey ho it can wait.
Checkup - have re-broken it so keep in sling for 8 weeks and come back. Red wine stain is blood under the skin.
Have unpleasant(painful) dead sensations in arm, goes lobster red and then bleached white and looks dead.
Black specks appear on finger nails.
Doctor tells me to go back to hospital and insist on seeing senior consultant - I do and am refused as problems can't be related!
Have really bad night and doctor arranges emergency appt with vascular consultant who finds blood pressure is half of other arm and says worst case they will have to crack my chest open, re-break/repair and replace artery.
MRI shows artery only nicked so take aspirin and let it heal, hospital signs me off with apologies.
Bone sticks thru skin when shoulder flexed so off to another consultant who declares its still broken and wants me back asap to put in plate. - now 15 months from day1 .
Plate goes in, riding 12 weeks later - all good.
1 year later plate out - riding 2 days later (no bra!)
9 months later there is a loud crack as I lean on elbow in bed and other end of collar bone breaks.
Back to consultant 6 weeks later (it cant have happened can it!)
Not emergency this time so back for plate 2 which is left in.
7 years on, only problem is the screws stick thru my skin so seat belt/hand bag hurt, but I can ride fine and thats the main thing.
My friends tell me frequently how jockeys race 3 weeks after breaking collar bone but they have the best treatment from day 1.
Statistically 99percent heal with no problems - we are clearly not the average - or are we>>>>>>>>>>

trottingon

Visit site
My broken collarbone took around 9 months before I could tack up by myself and ride comfortably (cried tears with the pain of lifting up my saddle and putting bridle on, on a few occasions before then, had to get YO to tack up for me a few times)
Mine was not pinned, I wish it had been, or at least strapped up which I was told wasn't done anymore - I met a friend a few months later with her broken collarbone strapped up so I guess it depends which hospital you go to!
When you think about it if you break an arm or a leg it is put in plaster so it is held in place allowing the bones to fuse back together, but with a collarbone the two ends of the break have to grow and find each other in order to fuse and apart from having a sling on, there is no proper support and nothing to hold them in place, and your arm is heavy! so it's no wonder it takes a lot longer to heal. My shoulder literally felt like the bones were swimming around. I've never known pain like it and for it to go on so long actually put me into a depression, I really wasn't well!
I was still sleeping on my back with a pillow under my arm for nearly a year as I still daren't risk rolling over onto that side in my sleep.
Thankfully around a year later I was back to normal, I don't notice any difference between strength or movement in both my shoulders except I can't quite hold my arm up for as long as the other (doing things like plaiting up, painting and trying to put some shelves up) but it does not affect me on a day to day basis.
Would not wish what I went through on anyone.
However all other people I have come across seem to have healed a lot quicker than me.
My advice to you is that if you push yourself it will take longer to heal. If that means missing your show this year well that's just unfortunate but you can always try again next year, there's no way I could have ridden 6 weeks after my break, sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear😁
I'm just grateful I don't have any ongoing problems like some unfortunate other people do, so its not all doom and gloom😊

Miley jumper

Visit site
Sounds like you've had a really nasty injury there. Glad to hear that you are much better now.

Thanks everyone for your advise its been really usefull. I feel quote lucky mine was plated quickly and recovery has been good.

Physio next week, hopefully it's bearable!

Thanks again guys.

ApolloStorm

Visit site
I broke my collarbone a year ago, in a none horse related accident. it was a totally clean break right where my shoulder meets collarbone. I was fairly lucky, the doctors at the hospital i was at just put me in a sling and sent me on my way for a check up in 1 week. All was fine, i was so doped up on painkillers i used my shoulder much more than i probably shoulder have done. I was back riding in 3 weeks after accident, but i wish i hadn't! I got bad muscle wastage on that side of my body, considering the muscles were used to riding frequently and at the time i was a county level shot put thrower, so was in pretty heavy training for that. Im pretty sure moving it too early screwed up the healing because when i went in for an xray for something else, and the doctor commented saying that the bone hadn't healed straight, hence why i still have a lump in the bone there. I also have problems with the other end of the same bone, being 'out' and making horrible crunching noises and such, there is no pain there, but i do get very achey shoulder if i sleep on my side. My only advice would be that you should probably follow doctors advice! Moving too early can mess up the bones healing time/ the way it heals. probably less likely if you have a plate!

:) Oh i also never got physio for it..

loopiesteff

Visit site
My plate isn't leaving me - ever. It doesn't bother me, only in winter I sometimes get a bit stiffer in that shoulder...my break was a bad one - coming through the skin *goes white* - but all fixed now! Physio was evil, but if you don't do it, you'll have MUCH bigger problems! Used to really push myself hard and would sometimes leave almost in tears, but I'd do it all again if I had to to get 100% mobility!

Miley jumper

Visit site
My break was very similar, so glad I've got it plated, hopefully for good! Although it is risky if I have another fall, 30 years of riding and this is the first broken bone and hopefully a one off.