Collateral Ligament Injury, Alternatives to Rockley Farm?

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Hey,

So my ginger giant horse has partially torn his collateral ligament away from the coffin joint and managed to take a bit of bone with it. He’s obviously pretty lame and after the MRI the vets have advised he’s unlikely to come sound again. That said a previous horse went to Rockley successfully returning fully sound so I wanted to explore this option again. Except it doesn’t look like Rockley is taking any new horses now so I’m looking for an alternative. Vets have got him on very restricted movement which I’m trying to keep to but he’s an 18hh Irish Draught and if he doesn’t want to stay in, he won’t and he’s doing himself more damage.

Any suggestions gratefully received. He is already barefoot and there’s nothing wrong with the conformation of his hoof according to the vets. It’s just a freak accident. Any suggestions please?

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Can rockley suggest anywhere else?or perhaps your vet? Sounds like he needs intense rehab. Id imagine from past suspensory experiences,and i know of a horse that did have a fracture, you might be looking at 12 weeks as there is bone chipping.
ligaments usually 6/8 weeks.
i am afraid I dont know anywhere in the area

MissTyc

Visit site
I rehabbed this at home, although mine wasn't entirely torn away, but was 80% damage and also poor prognosis for ridden soundness.
I started with a little mini track , so narrow and short that my horse couldn't do anything other than gently limp from haynet to haynet to water. And then basically extended the track and tried to replicate paradise paddock principles in a tiny little space. It took a long time, there were ups and downs (and one incident of 5-bar gate hopping), but he is in full work and also now living on my own homemade track system.
My trimmer replicated the recommended "remedial shoeing" with a trim and we took regular balance X-rays to keep on top of things. Trimming was every 2-3 weeks so keep things within the tightest possible range. I got good at doing it myself.

I really hope you can get your horse sound. These soft tissues injuries are a nightmare, but they heal in humans and they can heal in horses. Elasticity is a major part of return to soundness so the right sort of movement is important. At the same time, horses always want to overdo things!

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Thanks all, I messaged Nic and she’s advised that they aren’t taking any new horses and the log seems to have stopped in November last year. I’m gutted as had really thought it was an option. He’s already barefoot and the vet who did the MRI was very impressed with his hoof conformation but he’s sore and needs to be restricted somehow except he doesn’t think so and despite my efforts to provide him with a fresh bit of ground and some grass each day via a walk over some lovely conformable pea gravel, he’s now taken to shoving over any fencing that doesn’t have electric on it ?‍♀️ he’s snapped a gate post yesterday and I mean a thick solid concreted in post, kicked a shelter door open the day before, and is now marching around hobbling absolutely livid that he’s been contained on all sides by electric fencing. I’ve stuck a new battery on it this morning but I think he’s going to push through that too soon he’s so angry. Flies are annoying him despite the fact that he’s shredded several fly rugs and I’ve gone through a whole £20 tub of Phaser gel since Friday trying to stop them getting to him.

I’ve ordered another 7’3 fly rug, two more tubs of gel and a bargain (hah) bucket of phaser spray being delivered today to help but I’m stumped. He’s angry, wants to charge bout and goes from marching on one side to another by doing a really lovely pirouette. Not exactly helping. He’s more lame now than he was after the MRI when they told me to restrict him. I feel like he’s absolutely miserable and I’m worried sick about him. Hardly seems fair on him, plus he’s 830kgs of angry Draught horse who can be quite dangerous throwing himself around.

I think my only remaining option is to try fencing him an electric track system but I think he’ll push through it. Looks like I’m doing fencing again after work! Any suggestions for super high powered energisers?

MissTyc

Visit site
I use solar energisers with battery backup. Mine come from VOSS but many brands exist. I never ever use "non live" electric fencing, so I can't even comprehend the idea of trying non live to contain a horse! Mine know that white tape = ZAP. Difficult with the flies, etc. I mean, all of it is difficult. And frustrating. They don't know what's good for them. I certainly found my tiny track rather than a square seemed to make mine happier as he could walk a little. Mine too had great x-rays, but the trimming was remedial to change the balance for the duration of healing. Then 6-weekly scans to ensure we were on the right track. Good luck!

PurBee

Visit site
When he was turned out into a big field before injury, would he hoon about alongside grazing?

If not, i suspect the anger youre seeing in him is his psychological response to limited space - and you *might* find you solve that by giving him his regular space. If he’s normally chilled-out in a field grazing, the gentle movement of slow grazing will aid recovery, without frustrating him.

But if he normally charges around his grazing field, he’ll be likely to if given it back again, possibly making the injury, at this stage, more inflamed etc.

Mine both are fairly sedate in the grazing fields, so whenever theyve had mild tendon strains from weird field antics, i still turn them out for movement, knowing theyre not going to make it worse. If they were regular hooligans in the field id be doing restrictions with my severe electric energiser (which they respect - even houdini horse respect it)

Bikerchickone

Visit site
I use solar energisers with battery backup. Mine come from VOSS but many brands exist. I never ever use "non live" electric fencing, so I can't even comprehend the idea of trying non live to contain a horse! Mine know that white tape = ZAP. Difficult with the flies, etc. I mean, all of it is difficult. And frustrating. They don't know what's good for them. I certainly found my tiny track rather than a square seemed to make mine happier as he could walk a little. Mine too had great x-rays, but the trimming was remedial to change the balance for the duration of healing. Then 6-weekly scans to ensure we were on the right track. Good luck!
Mine is live, but I think he’s going to push through it soon he’s so angry!

Can you not give him a few doses of sedalin through the day even if it just takes the edge off and chills him out a bit.
He’s so big I think it would take quite a bit and I’m not sure it’s fair to do that long term, if it were a few days then maybe but I think I’d need two tubes a time. He’s 830kgs.
When he was turned out into a big field before injury, would he hoon about alongside grazing?

If not, i suspect the anger youre seeing in him is his psychological response to limited space - and you *might* find you solve that by giving him his regular space. If he’s normally chilled-out in a field grazing, the gentle movement of slow grazing will aid recovery, without frustrating him.

But if he normally charges around his grazing field, he’ll be likely to if given it back again, possibly making the injury, at this stage, more inflamed etc.

Mine both are fairly sedate in the grazing fields, so whenever theyve had mild tendon strains from weird field antics, i still turn them out for movement, knowing theyre not going to make it worse. If they were regular hooligans in the field id be doing restrictions with my severe electric energiser (which they respect - even houdini horse respect it)

I tried this based on the idea that he’s mostly chilled but because my horses are at home, it’s mostly really quiet which means that when I have to bring one of them in, I have a mare in foal, he gets really wound up and charges along the fence bucking, but I guess I could try only restricting him when that’s due to happen. The flies aren’t helping though, he’s got super sensitive skin for an ID.

What about Krista from the ground up. Her horse was at Rockley so she's on the same page as Nic.

https://fromthegrounduprehab.com/
ooh I think I have her on Facebook, or did once, I’ll message her, thanks!
Where are you approx? Maybe someone can recommend an existing track yard set up?
Norfolk Cambridgeshire border now, thanks ?

This energiser for 100 quid delivers max 9+ k Volts and does upto 24km fencing. 4-6k volts is plenty for the average horse to be put off, 9kV is the max you want for any large tough animal really. Its mains or 12v battery powered so great to have if your power source has to change for whatever reason.

https://www.electric-fence.co.uk/vo...er-dual-power-mains-adapter-not-included.html
Thanks that’s more powerful than what I’ve got!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
You will probably need a fair bit of sedation but often the size is irrelevant my 16.3 would be knocked for 6 with 2mls, yet my 15h Arab needed double that and some more to even touch him.

I find after a week or so with a routine on sedalin they often just settle and you can wean them off it fairly easily and quickly.

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Solar one here, over 10000 volts that would give a fair zap, if he wears fly rugs toe a piece of electric fence tape onto the buckle that way he will get a zap if he pushes it.
He is really trying your patience x
Thats a good idea, thank you. I have another new fly rugs arriving today!

Would he be better with a small fluffy companion?

I have been thinking about this. We do have an elderly Shetland here but Moose still thinks he is a stallion and is decidedly aggressive with other horses that I have anything to do with. Our Shetland is a dear old duffer who couldn’t get out of the way very quickly and I’d be heartbroken if anything happened to him. Previous owner advised me that she kept my big lad individually because he can attack without provocation. I tried him in with daughter‘s two year old very submissive Draught and he attacked her badly. I haven’t tried since, though on the occasions at our old yard when he pushed through the fence and got in with other peoples horses he was fine. ?

You will probably need a fair bit of sedation but often the size is irrelevant my 16.3 would be knocked for 6 with 2mls, yet my 15h Arab needed double that and some more to even touch him.

I find after a week or so with a routine on sedalin they often just settle and you can wean them off it fairly easily and quickly.
I haven’t yet needed to sedate him so maybe that could work. I know he sounds like an idiot with this, because he is, but ordinarily he’s the easiest horse ever. For the most part he’s easy and quiet and laid back, but when something sets him off, and it can be anything, he literally turns himself inside out.

I've been following Gawsworth track livery on fb, they do rehab as well, they are Cheshire
I have messaged them yesterday, no reply yet. Also messaged Krista that was at Rockley when my old boy was. Also no reply yet.

Last night we set up the biggest ever mouse trap run known to man with electric fencing, in the pouring rain might I add, and he’s out in there today. I’m hoping he will stay there as he can mooch about, see all the others and has grass to occupy him. Annoyingly, I can’t see him from my office window, where I’m supposed to be working now, but my parents are able to see him from their cottage so they’re keeping an eye on him. I think he will be better behaved when the flies aren’t so bad and there isn’t acres of very green grass around him but we’ve a way to go before that happens yet. He didn’t break out last night, but literally the only bit not electrified was the bit beyond the weave grill on the door out of the double stable he’s got. The greedy wotsit has two lots of energisers and batteries to make it all work as well. ?‍♀️

Thank you all so much for the thoughts, I really appreciate the help. I don’t want to have to put him down but if he’s clearly miserable and keeps hurting himself it’s no quality of life for him either and I can’t let him suffer any more than being so lame already is.

jnb

Visit site
Does anyone know what's happening with Rockley, are they just full or have given up? If so a crying shame.

@Bikerchickone Gawsworth responds a lot on FB/via messenger I think or maybe ring them if there's a number? They seem very committed and approachable.

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Does anyone know what's happening with Rockley, are they just full or have given up? If so a crying shame.

@Bikerchickone Gawsworth responds a lot on FB/via messenger I think or maybe ring them if there's a number? They seem very committed and approachable.

I will admit to being really upset when I saw Nic‘s message. Her exact words were ”we are not taking any new horses at the mo so I am afraid sending him here is not an option.” I don’t know what that means long term but it was pretty clear he can’t go there ?

Fieldlife

Visit site
Thats a good idea, thank you. I have another new fly rugs arriving today!

I have been thinking about this. We do have an elderly Shetland here but Moose still thinks he is a stallion and is decidedly aggressive with other horses that I have anything to do with. Our Shetland is a dear old duffer who couldn’t get out of the way very quickly and I’d be heartbroken if anything happened to him. Previous owner advised me that she kept my big lad individually because he can attack without provocation. I tried him in with daughter‘s two year old very submissive Draught and he attacked her badly. I haven’t tried since, though on the occasions at our old yard when he pushed through the fence and got in with other peoples horses he was fine. ?

I haven’t yet needed to sedate him so maybe that could work. I know he sounds like an idiot with this, because he is, but ordinarily he’s the easiest horse ever. For the most part he’s easy and quiet and laid back, but when something sets him off, and it can be anything, he literally turns himself inside out.

I have messaged them yesterday, no reply yet. Also messaged Krista that was at Rockley when my old boy was. Also no reply yet.

Last night we set up the biggest ever mouse trap run known to man with electric fencing, in the pouring rain might I add, and he’s out in there today. I’m hoping he will stay there as he can mooch about, see all the others and has grass to occupy him. Annoyingly, I can’t see him from my office window, where I’m supposed to be working now, but my parents are able to see him from their cottage so they’re keeping an eye on him. I think he will be better behaved when the flies aren’t so bad and there isn’t acres of very green grass around him but we’ve a way to go before that happens yet. He didn’t break out last night, but literally the only bit not electrified was the bit beyond the weave grill on the door out of the double stable he’s got. The greedy wotsit has two lots of energisers and batteries to make it all work as well. ?‍♀️

Thank you all so much for the thoughts, I really appreciate the help. I don’t want to have to put him down but if he’s clearly miserable and keeps hurting himself it’s no quality of life for him either and I can’t let him suffer any more than being so lame already is.

Can you borrow a small friend to join him in his current set up? MIght make him happier.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I have been thinking about this. We do have an elderly Shetland here but Moose still thinks he is a stallion and is decidedly aggressive with other horses that I have anything to do with. Our Shetland is a dear old duffer who couldn’t get out of the way very quickly and I’d be heartbroken if anything happened to him. Previous owner advised me that she kept my big lad individually because he can attack without provocation.

Nope, you definitely can’t risk a companion then. Shame ☹️☹️

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Success! We stayed out all of yesterday and went into the pen again last night where we stayed in our stable throughout the very nasty storm and he’s gone out on the makeshift Moose run again this morning looking reasonably cheerful in his new fly rug and several applications of Phaser spray and gel to his legs and underbelly. I’m not entirely convinced he will still be there when I finish work but it’s a start.

Picture of the ginger twit for your entertainment.. F772FC3E-BEA9-44D0-ACC7-7219767BD4DA.jpeg

MystieMoo

Visit site
Hey,

So my ginger giant horse has partially torn his collateral ligament away from the coffin joint and managed to take a bit of bone with it. He’s obviously pretty lame and after the MRI the vets have advised he’s unlikely to come sound again. That said a previous horse went to Rockley successfully returning fully sound so I wanted to explore this option again. Except it doesn’t look like Rockley is taking any new horses now so I’m looking for an alternative. Vets have got him on very restricted movement which I’m trying to keep to but he’s an 18hh Irish Draught and if he doesn’t want to stay in, he won’t and he’s doing himself more damage.

Any suggestions gratefully received. He is already barefoot and there’s nothing wrong with the conformation of his hoof according to the vets. It’s just a freak accident. Any suggestions please?

I've not read all of the comments so this may have been suggested already, but Premier Performance CZ do a calming powder that might be worth looking into. We use a product of theirs and it is brilliant. The customer service is great and they are extremely helpful. Might be worth a try. Good luck.