collateral ligament injury

misst

Visit site
If you do a search on here there is a lot of info.
Boxrest foot balance/shoeing/trimming and lots of other things but I would say shoeing/trimming and foot balance are crucial. I thought rest was important but there are lots of different views on this. Good luck I hope yours comes right.

Oberon

Visit site
Lainey's horse Bailey went to Rockley Farm with this and he is doing very well now.

It was his anniversary not long ago.

I think he was sound within months (and no box rest).

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
initally box rest, then paddock rest, then field rest, then gradualy work. timescale 6 to 12 months dependant on scans. feet to be done every 6 weeks to keep balanced.

competitiondiva

Visit site
initally box rest, then paddock rest, then field rest, then gradualy work. timescale 6 to 12 months dependant on scans. feet to be done every 6 weeks to keep balanced.

This, just coming out the other side of this injury combined with arthritic changes. She was box rested for 3 months, no change so moved to paddock rest, still no change, thought damage was going to be permanent at this point. Kept her shod regularly keeping the toe short to aid roll over. No special shoes, wedges etc advised by vet, just regular trims. Vet then decided for me to bring her into a level of work, just gentle hacking to keep the arthritis at bay with the use of pain killers as and when necessary. Basically weeks of walking, I also put her on vetvits equiflex just before bringing her back under saddle (fed at loading dose on a continual basis). After 12-16 weeks of this, she has shown so much improvement that she's now coming back into full work! In total it's taken 15 months to get here, but honestly at one point I didn't think we'd ever get here! Oh also had cortisone injections into hocks (arthritis) 3-4 months ago and recently had the coffin joint re-done, which took her from 0.5 tenths lame, to sound! That was almost a month ago now. She's shod infront and barefoot behind (mainly because she's out in the field with my future competition horse and didn't want any shoe related preventable injuries!!)

traceyann

Visit site
I would say irap my horse had and did all above still very lame after irap sound in five weeks but expensive hope you have insurance

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
My horse tore her collatoral ligament and had an operation on it in March. Unfortunately it was four days before I went to America for five weeks. :( so my lovely sister was looking after her for me. (Sorry sis :rolleyes: )

The op went really well and she had the stitches out a week later. She was then to be ridden immediately to get the tendon to stretch. Unfortunately she took it into her head that no one but me was riding her (normally she is fine) and kept bucking them off or being silly till they got off. So when I came home she was weeks behind in her rehab.

I came home and rode her (she never put a foot wrong! Naughty horse) and I then got her going again and was just starting to canter occasionally when she over reached and cut her heel off, down to the bone! :( We have just, two days ago, come off eleven weeks of box rest and still have a long way to go with this injury. :( Consequently she is now lame in trot because the tendon has shrunk! Vet reckons she will probably need injections into the coffin joint.

So my experience has been a nightmare but I was told initially that the prognosis was good, just a shame our rehabilitation was cut short.

I hope your horse comes through it ok x