collateral ligament injury

myprincess

Visit site
My horse has been lame for 3 weeks now, not hopping lame but unlevel in trot. Vets been out thinks its more than likely his collateral ligament, he is coming back to x ray and possobly do an MRI scan.

Has anyone else experienced this? My vet says if it is collateral he will make a full recovery but will take 4 - 6 months but from what ive been reading alot of people are saying theres have taken alot longer and some have even had to retire. He is only 6 year old so I'd be devestated if i had to retire him

Anyone had the same injury would love to hear about it TIA

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had one. He had been "off" sometimes as a youngster (as in not lame, but not right), but had several years turned away, and was gifted to me, sound.

He was got fit very carefully, loads of road walking, after schooling etc started lightly competing 8 months in, built it up and did well (won his last event, a BE100), but then was "off" occasionally in winter. Not hopping lame, but not right. He was rested 4 months, although was sound after 2 of them, then brought back into work, went "off" again once competing. This time cortisone, barefoot and 4 months more rest, but he went lame 2 months into work, almost as soon as we started schooling (still barefoot) and that was after 8 weeks road walking.

He was never hopping lame, but just did not feel right.

I realised he would not be an eventer, as he had already had several years off to no avail, so retired him to a lovely home. They have shod him remedially, and he is sound for hacking and schooling.

I would imagine every one is individual. Mine had had trouble on and off years before I had him, and I think his conformation made recurrence more likely.

I would follow the vet's advice, and see how he goes. Because mine was not so favourable it does not reflect on yours. :)