Collie cross Kelpi

willhegofirst

Visit site
Does anyone have anyone have any experience of this cross?
We have a pup, 16 weeks now, the add we replied to stated they were BC pups and it wasn't until after we had her the add changed to collie cross kelpie to sell the remaining pups. If I am honest we wouldn't have even replied to the add if they they been advertised as this cross to start with. We have found out she is about 1/3rd Kelpie. She is a smashing pup and we have always had BCs so used to active dogs, but does anyone know if she is likely to be very different from a pure collie.
Thanks

PorkChop

Visit site
I have known of two different people with this cross, albeit half and half.

They were fabulous dogs, used for working - Kelpie's are smashing dogs :)

A bit off, well a lot actually, that they didn't tell you the truth.

willhegofirst

Visit site
Yes, she was farm breed, Mum was working sheep, the old boy who breed her, was a bit hopeless to get info from, it was a friend who had advertised the pups, so maybe where the confusion came from, though it was the friend I got the breed info from in the end, he couldn't even tell us what actual age they were when we first saw her.

Clodagh

Visit site
I had a half bred kelpie, she was fab. (the other half was blue heeler). Kelpies were bred to be harder and with more stamina than BCs in extreme environments. They also tend to bark when working, which can be annoying! I don't think you will find a part bred that different to a collie tbh, is the pup for working?

willhegofirst

Visit site
Not working as such, we will probably look to do agility or fly ball with her when old enough. Neither myself or OH or working now so we have time to spend with her, we also have two other dogs, so she has playmates.

Moobli

Visit site
Aw look at those ears. I have GSDs but my hubby has working sheepdogs. I did try to persuade him to get a Kelpie pup last year when a friend had a working litter but he is a BC man through and through. I think your new puppy is going to keep you on your toes :)