Collie x husky

Moobli

Visit site
An old thread ..but for anyone still reading it ..I too have a Husky x Border Collie (whom I adopted from the Dog's Trust). She was a little(or rather 'very') wild at first ..jumping right up onto the kitchen work-tops and even on top of bookcases and a piano :) Never destructive though, incredibly loving and affectionate, gets on great with my other dogs (Border Collie, Malinois x Border Collie and an elderly lurcher). She also adores my cat and will snuggle up to him at every single opportunity that she can. Have a bit of a madhouse with all these dogs ..but I'd say that she is definitely the most affectionate and loving of the four; a real Velcro dog. She can still jump up folks a bit (aged 3 years now)..although her exuberance is beginning to calm...but no problems with recall or anything else really! A real pleasure to have around that I can trust with small children and other small furries. Guess they are all individuals.

Glad yours is a pleasure. My MIL is smitten with hers too - and she is no bother either.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
I heard a friend had taken on a collie x husky pup and literally I was gobsmaked that anyone would even want to cross those two breeds. Yes it is super cute at the moment but what of the hyper intelligent, wilful and headstrong dog it will probably become.

Not a mongrel I would choose. Hope the owner has the mental & physical energy to deal with such a type.

Alwaysmoretoknow

Visit site
I've got a border collie x husky and while I love her to bits it isn't a cross I'd recommend. She has some of the less desirable traits of both breeds such as a high prey drive for rabbits, squirrels etc. (and more usefully) rats and a tendency to 'hassle' the nags by trying to nip their heels (if she was allowed). She is fine with the feral NF ponies and weirdly has no interest in deer, cattle or fowl. She is absolutely sound with people, loves her cats but can be dog aggressive - she seems to attract other dogs aggression possibly as she looks very dominant. She's not a 'cuddly' dog though affectionate in her own way but her recall is unreliable. In short she has the emotional neediness of the collie and the independence and no particular desire to please of the husky. She's also an absolutely rubbish guard dog as she's so friendly although at 34k she looks the part. Like a lot of strange crosses you have to ask why?

Dopeydapple

Visit site
Last night we found what we assume to be 2 akita x huskies roaming the streets, caught them and put photos on Facebook to see if we could find owner and toddled off to vet for scan to see if chipped. Facebook post was immense with so many complaints about how often they escape and that the owner obviously doesn't care enough. When we got them back to her we got to see how they have pretty much destroyed every part of her house (doors, skirting boards, the washing machine, dug under garden fencing etc). It just baffles me that unless breeding for sled racing why would you add huskies to any other breed of the dog. The owner was sold these as purebred Japanese akitas despite having black faces and slight brindle colouring, some of the types / breeds that end up as family dogs never ceases to amaze me, these dogs however were lovely and so friendly but clearly under exercised and under stimulated.