Collies

Antw23uk

Visit site
I've seen a couple of collies out beating but they are more of the taller husky looking type - you can see I know nothing about them! The majority of the ones near me "skulk" and chase cars, the only way I can describe it!

There was an amazing collie on a sheep farm near us, she would herd the sheep from a huge distance away but she could not be trusted in the pens with them!!

I know what you mean maisie06 they can be skulky, lol!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I have known terriers like that.
Oh yes, indeed.

We have to ride past the cottage with the two psycho collies followed immediately by the cottage with the pyscho JRT. All on a NSL road on a blind bend. The collies are always contained in their garden, but the JRT used not to be. We had a little chat with his owner after the JRT got in amongst my horse's legs, snapping at her, and he is shut in now, too ?.

Moobli

Visit site
Well one rescue collie has become two :eek::D
The same group we rehomed the pup from (who is an absolute bloody legend btw :cool:) had another young pet collie looking for a working home. The owner has done lots with her and she is a really lovely dog. She showed real promise on the sheep, and it was the first time she had ever seen them. It still gives me a thrill to see the inherent genetics come out in a good collie when it sees sheep for the first time.
This owner had a very small baby who was taking up most of her time and her partner is in the army so isn't around much to help. The trainer had suggested she had strong working instincts and so might suit a working home. After we had assessed her I told the owner to go home and have a long think about whether she really wanted to part with her or whether employing some dog walking help etc might get her over this tricky phase when time is in short supply. We weren't planning on another but she is just too good to pass up, so we are getting her on Wednesday.
The following day another plea for a working home was posted on the group. I contacted the owner to say we could assess her dog if she wanted but definitely couldn't take another. The owner said she would be grateful if we did. In the meantime, I spoke to the assistant shepherd and his wife and asked whether they might need another working dog if he showed good instincts. They came and watched while he was assessed and had a chat with the owner and then agreed to introduce him to their dogs the following day (today). They have agreed to take him on a trial, but have said they will actually keep him as a pet if he doesn't work ... so all good!
This is our new little girl arriving on Wednesday.

722A7A8D-D895-4978-A7D6-0521F59618E7.jpegC3DDB28D-9DE2-4C7F-B5F8-A7DA9413728C.jpeg