Colonic ulceration

showqa

Visit site
I know there is a thread about gastric, but really need experiences with regards to colonic. My horse has all the symptoms and has tested positive with a fecal blood test. I have him on Gastroplus but in terms of management there is little more I can do. He has only ever been on a forage diet, he has been out overnight (from 4 pm - 10 am) since April. I'm worried to death that he will have to come onto daytime tuirnout in a week or two which will mean only 10 hours out. When in, he has constant "Lite" haylage in a (allergic to hay). He is in a constant herd of 4, it never changes, and even when they are in they are in close proximity and can see and nuzzle each other. His life is quiet, hardly ever travelling and not pushed out of hi comfort zone as I am aware of his stressy nature. I am at a total loss and very worried and the vet can't seem to come up with anything new. Worried that he has been out of work now for 6 weeks. When would you think it ok to at least attempt to ride him again? Should I wait for the whole course of Gastroplus to be taken - a month?

showqa

Visit site
He's actually looking better from the ground, but I don't know when it will be fair for me to get on him? He has been on the Gastroplus only for 5 days and the course is a month so early days I know. Thank you so much for your reply. I will read that thread start to finish. I can't understand why we have this sudden flair up.

JillA

Visit site
There are a number of complementary remedies on here, it is worth a read. http://equinenutritionnerd.com/2014...tions-for-stomach-ulcer-treatment-prevention/

I am doing a CAFRE course n nutrition which goes in to ulcers in some detail, and it lists the causes of colonic ulcers as sand intake, parasites, high cereal diet, pathogens, NSAIDs and stress. The risk factors are the same as for gastric ulcers - you seem to have given consideration to the availability of his diet, how about the components, particularly cereals?

Primitive Pony

Visit site
My horse has only suffered slightly from hind gut acidosis so haven't really had to worry about riding or not. I suppose if your horse seems happy you can try and see how it goes?

showqa

Visit site
Well, he is only on Healthy Tummy formulated for ulcer care. It is alfalfa based, supposedly a good buffer for acidosis, but I have read a few comments from people saying that it aggravated the issue in their horses. Perhaps I should try something else,I'm just worried about making any changes at all. He hasn't been on NSAIDs, no cereals, and can't imagine that sand would be an issue as my fields are always well covered. Parasites - well I worm count and worm for tape/bots/encysted red so again, can't see that would be an issue. Yes, he is very much a stressy horse - but as such I have kept everything the same since April when he went onto all night turn out. He hasn't been away from home or his herd at all. He seems very sensitive to his flanks being touched now -tail swishy - new symptom.Getting worse? Thanks everybody. Worried, really worried.