colour change in passport- help needed!

EllieBeast

Visit site
I have a 4yo tb x appaloosa mare who was born (and therefore passported) bay. As time has gone on the appy breeding has come through and I can no longer get away with calling her a bay horse! She is much whiter in summer and turns dark bay with a white croup in winter. She is still totally different from one coat change to the next, I will post a selection of pics from different seasons to give an overview- the most recent ones are first. I need to send her passport back to have the colour change noted so any suggestions for how I can described her v much welcomed!!

20130915_103905_14_zps44d6f2c8.jpg

20130922_092729_zps8272f339.jpg

20130721_095443_zpsbd0fbe3a.jpg

20130710_101045_zps0e9d709d.jpg

892501_10151478402274690_1396224808_o_zpsbbc0eb1d.jpg

stelpic1.jpg

lori ann

Visit site
Our now three year old was registered as a foal as bay he is now grey do I need to update passport which will not be easy as it is KWPN

LazyS

Visit site
Is your mare passported with an Appaloosa breed society? Her base coat colour is bay so it shouldn't make any difference on the passport. I am sure that on my Appaloosas' passport he is down as bay, as the passport system is not geared up for the variations in coat pattern for the Appaloosa. 9/10 Appaloosas do not look the same as an adult as when they were born. We have photos in the Appaloosa Horse Club UK passports and we are always commenting on how different the horse actually is from the original passport photos. You would not recognise my boy as a bay in the field, he is white (not grey) with black legs up to the knees with a few bay spots (and colour tested bay). He has roaned out since a foal and obviously carries the roan gene as he passes that on to his progeny, who change colour all the time. Like owning a chameleon lol. If we were to keep changing our passports our poor registrar would be pulling her hair out. :)

EllieBeast

Visit site
Hi, thanks for the input LazyS - she isnt registered with the breed society as neither of her parents are registered. She just has a weatherbys ID passport, Do you feel that it would be ok to leave her as a 'bay' as it does state that her breed is appy x tb? I have a feeling that she will surprise me with every coat change, she is my first spotty so its all part of the fun :p

LazyS

Visit site
Hi, thanks for the input LazyS - she isnt registered with the breed society as neither of her parents are registered. She just has a weatherbys ID passport, Do you feel that it would be ok to leave her as a 'bay' as it does state that her breed is appy x tb? I have a feeling that she will surprise me with every coat change, she is my first spotty so its all part of the fun :p

I would just leave it - why fix what aint broke? lol Shame you don't know the breeding, she looks lovely. Did you know that Appaloosa crossed with thoroughbred is a permitted outcross with the ApHC (USA) and therefore she could have been a purebred Appaloosa if you knew the parentage. You can still register her in the States but BIG BUT she would have to be spayed first. Because she is obviously characteristic she would fit their criteria but because the parentage is unknown then it would be better for the preservation of the bloodlines not to breed from her. Geldings are not a problem as you can't breed from them (obviously). No point to me saying this really, sorry!! Sure you enjoy her whatever. :)

EllieBeast

Visit site
Thats really interesting to know, thanks for the info! Obviously I wont be getting her spayed, not because I plan to breed though! I bought her from her breeder but neither of her parents were registered as far as I know. she was an utter bargain when I bought her at 20 months so I wasntbtoo bothered at he time! Shes turned out better than I had ever hoped!
I have to say, I am a bit of a spotty convert now. Have never had any experience of the breed before but am seriously impressed with the temperament, trainability and bravery!