'Coloured' showing classes

ruscara

Visit site
We occasionally take Marius to local shows, and he does very well in Unregistered Native, Riding Horse, and Coloured classes. Just local showing, nothing posh. Next month we want to take him to a show and want to do the Veteran and Coloured classes. Somebody said to check whether a dun would be allowed in the coloured class - we have never had any problems before - and I rang the Secretary and she said probably not, but to check with the Judge on the day.
Is this normal now? I thought roans and duns were defined as coloured usually.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
If it is a CHAPS or BSPA class then skewbald/piebald only.

If it is local, generally coloured is now meant as above, and the other colours go in "odd coloured" i.e. dun, spotted, roan etc.

Interesting that they are letting the judge decide. TO be honest, the show should decide and the judge should judge whatever is eligible for the class! How annoying for you that they can't make up their minds.

silversox

Visit site
This subject has caused a lot of problems over the years! Technically, if it is NOT stated in the schedule as 'Piebalds & Skewbalds' only, then you should be able to enter the class, and the Judge should view you as a 'coloured' These days a lot of local shows have a seperate class for 'odd-coloured' which would include dun, roan, spotted and palomino.

Personally, when I am Judging, I prefer to have it in black & white (pardon the pun!) as two seperate classes in the Schedule then we all know what should or shouldn't be in the class.

Make sure you study the schedule before EVERY show, because local shows can vary enormously.

Good Luck!!!!

ruscara

Visit site
Thank you, guys. We have entered coloured classes before over the years, and never had any problems. It's only this year that people have been saying that they haven't been eligible, and so we checked for this show. We will just have to wait and see on the day - the secretary did say that we wouldn't have to pay the late entry fee, which I suppose is something!
smile.gif

tabithakat64

Visit site
I have been looking at showing my dun at local level and have found a lot of the classes are piebald and skewbalds only with no additional class for roans, duns & spots
frown.gif

silversox

Visit site
It might be an idea to suggest they add this 'odd-coloured' class in future shows. Most show Secretaries are open to new ideas so give it a try.

Good luck!