Colt and herd of geldings, advice please.

scrat

Visit site
We have four geldings and have recently aquired a 16 month old colt. He is fine with all of the geldings and has fallen into the herd pecking order (he's at the bottom). Anyway we share with a lady that has a gelding who was turned out with ours but we have had to separate him as he visiously attacks the colt. He will grab him by the neck and try and pull him down or push him into the fence it is very distressing and his behaviour is very ferral. This has happened twice now and we cannot understand why this horse would take such exception when all the others are fine. He will be gelded in the next few weeks and we are aware that being entire may be the only reason for this other horses behaviour. The other horse was never dominant with our other horses and was bottom of the herd. Has anyone else had this problem and was it resolved after the colt was gelded??

Fleur100

www.welhamstud.co.uk
Never experienced that problem and I have colts, geldings and an entire in a herd. I wonder if it is because it is a youngster. If that is the case having the colt cut won't affect the geldings attitude.

Can you remove the gelding?

slingo1uk

Visit site
I have had the same problem and i kept them apart for a few weeks but stabled in view of each other, when i tried again the same thing happened big hairy cob wanting to demolish my little sec a colt I thought sure any moment my little colt would run back and hide behind me leaving me to sort it out,
but suddenly he turned to face monster and decided to take him on , big hairy cob turned and ran away lol the rest is history they are really good mates now .
Its awful to see one being picked on but they will sort themselves out eventually i would just take it slowly
Good luck with yours and be careful

Crystalbank_stud

Visit site
Perhaps this new gelding has been bottom of the pecking order elsewhere and now feels strong enough to show your little colt who's boss.

At some stage though the tables will change if your colt isn't gelded, so beware.

Again, as a bove take things very slowly and if you get your colt gelded then let him have a paddock away from the gelding for a while as he won't won't to be chased around for a while.

Horrible to see, I know.