Combi-ride dual stabiliser anyone? Or Recommendations

sweetpea_11

Visit site
In he process of getting a school built had a few quotes back but liking the look of the combi-ride dual stabiliser so was wondering if anyone has it or has ridden on it and there opinions on it? Or any other recommendations would be great thanks

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
In he process of getting a school built had a few quotes back but liking the look of the combi-ride dual stabiliser so was wondering if anyone has it or has ridden on it and there opinions on it? Or any other recommendations would be great thanks

I have it, but my installer also topped it with two inches of rubber to keep the moisture in the surface. If it gets dry it gets a bit loose on top, but it doesn't track and except for dry summer periods I never need to grade it. I've had it four years. Don't light a bonfire anywhere near it, I managed to set fire to mine earlier this year and it burns REALLY well!

lamlyn2012

Visit site
We used rubber seals on top of silica sand.. It's the stuff from window/door seals. It is expensive, but stays moist, does not freeze and does not track.Excellent surface to ride on, soft but firm and does not ride deep. Purchased from Manchester plastics.

ycbm

Visit site
We used rubber seals on top of silica sand.. It's the stuff from window/door seals. It is expensive, but stays moist, does not freeze and does not track.Excellent surface to ride on, soft but firm and does not ride deep. Purchased from Manchester plastics.

My trainer has this and it makes white legs black, does yours ?

ycbm

Visit site
My surface is silica sand fibre and rubber and it makes their legs a very nasty colour .

I've got chipped tyres and that's fine, it just seems to be my trainer's shredded seals that do it - and the soot in the burnt patch I've now got on my arena!

lamlyn2012

Visit site
My trainer has this and it makes white legs black, does yours ?

Gosh, no not at all. Mine has white legs and he's fine. But the hooves stay on the top of the surface so how does it mark legs. Our old school used to ride a bit deep in dry weather and that would discolour the feathers a bit sometimes. When we had ours done the sand was compacted over and over and the rubber just sits on top. If you rub it between your fingers there's no staining at all, in fact it's really clean. Don't really understand why your trainer has this problem. Maybe it's slightly different to ours.

Spottyappy

Visit site
Am interested in this too, as I can't have rubber (planning!).
But, I also don't have access to a proper watering system,(hose only )so need something that will retain water,and the combi ride looks like it may.

ycbm

Visit site
Am interested in this too, as I can't have rubber (planning!).
But, I also don't have access to a proper watering system,(hose only )so need something that will retain water,and the combi ride looks like it may.

I really don't think it will :( If I get any patches where the additional rubber is thin, it dries out and gets quite loose to ride on. If you can't water it,, I'm not sure that I would recommend it without extra rubber on top. You are welcome to come and see mine if you are anywhere near me.

sylviam

New User
Visit site
I have combi ride without rubber topping - used daily for two years for one horse and very happy with it. Low maintenance, doesn't blow around, doesn't track. I had it professionally installed and was informed that the underlying drainage layers and the quality of silica sand used played the largest part in a successful installation. Certainly seems true - it never gets too wet or too dry and has only frozen for one day in all that time. I didn't have a rubber topssing one two counts
1) potential planning problem/smell as near residential property
2)

HappyNeds

Visit site
We've got Combi-ride, nearly 4 years now, and we think it's brilliant. It rides well, it doesn't get deep, we level it very rarely, it doesn't freeze or get loose in the dry weather, it's really good stuff.

We did loads of research before we chose our surface, we went to see quite a lot of other arenas with different surfaces, but I'm so glad we put the time in at that point because the more I use ours and the more I see and hear about other arenas which have had problems, I am confident we made the right decision.

ETA: our Combi-ride does not have a separate rubber topping as someone mentioned previously in this thread (the product does have small rubber crumb mixed into it), ours was installed by combo ride themselves, and it's mixed into the sand.

Last edited:

Spottyappy

Visit site
I really don't think it will :( If I get any patches where the additional rubber is thin, it dries out and gets quite loose to ride on. If you can't water it,, I'm not sure that I would recommend it without extra rubber on top. You are welcome to come and see mine if you are anywhere near me.
Thanks, ycmb. I appreciate that.
Whereabouts are you, pm me if you prefer?
I'm Home Counties, so can travel to a fair few areas but not Cornwall, or Scotland type distances!!

Kate Smith

New User
Visit site
Hello, I have never joined an on line discussion before but I feel I should warn everyone about Combi-ride and their customer service. We had an existing manege with Mersey grit sand that rode very deep. We were looking to remove that sand and replace it with proper silica sand and combi ride dual stabiliser. However Jonathan from Combiride convinced us that to save money all we needed to do was add a couple of inches of equestrian sand and then his stabiliser. He sent us an email stating he gave a "no quibble warranty". We got Combi ride to order and install both the sand and the dual stabiliser to ensure the installation was correct. It has never been right. In some places it is fabulous but there are patches where it is really deep. Unfortunately it is useless as riding from patches of good ground into deep soft going is so potentially damaging to our horses legs we cannot use it. We did manage to get Jonathan to come out a couple of times, he did re-level and grade it and add some more stabiliser but it made little if any difference. The next time he blamed our manege grader so we bought the one Combi ride recommend. It has made little difference, it is still unusable and now he will not reply to any emails, recorded delivery letters etc. So please be warned even though we had a "no quibble warranty" and he stated that "as much as to say if you are not happy with the surface then this is our problem and it will be rectified" We still have an unusable menage. I am very happy for anyone to come and see our menage or share any of the emails etc from Combi ride with you or do send me an email and I'll happily call you back. I am not saying that a new Combi ride surface from scratch is no good but beware of their promises and guarantees. They don't give a dam about their customers when things go wrong. We are going to have to pursue Combi ride through the courts and trading standards now, thank you, Kate