combination Hackamore??

polyphonic

Visit site
Does anybody use them on here? I currently have Flint in an English Hackamore, With a chain curb with Sheepskin noseband. On the flat he is really light in the hand and, although can sometimes run on, i do have control and the added bonus of brakes! I can jump him in the warm up or in the school and he will wait for the fence but when in the ring he does run on and becomes a battle, Especially when your wanting 6 strides and he runs on in 5!
frown.gif
Do you think having a combi would be any help, having used and tried several bits in the ring, he tends to leap forwards and then run on. Any help is mucho appreciated
grin.gif

hellybelly6

Visit site
Why is he not in a bit? I ask because this could have a bearing on matters.

A myler combination acts on the nose first and the mouth second, but it is still a bit.

I wonder if he is just hyped up and needs a bit of extra schooling including grid work to slow himself down. This will teach him to wait for the jump to come to him, not the other way round.

When in a bit, does he have his head in the air, or does he do a nose dive? Again I ask, because this will reflect on the type of bit used.

My horse leans on the forehand, has his head between his forelegs, chin on girth and powers off with me. He goes best in a Dutch gag which helps to lift him off the forehand. A hackamore, allowed and encouraged him to do this trick.

polyphonic

Visit site
He was put back into his Hackamore after he kept getting too keen again whilst jumping in the ring, outside of the ring he is perfectly managable.
I took bits out of his mouth because I didnt have any brakes with him whilst in the ring, and for the last few months he has responded well again but is now becoming used to it, my trainer has advised that I can eitther try putting a chain over the top of his nose aswell or putting him into a combination. We do grids etc but he only changes whilst in the ring now- over zealous im afraid

JM07

Visit site
i stepped up to German Hackamore from an English...with the longer shanks, control is immediate with less "ask"..

hellybelly6

Visit site
Hmmm. Sounds like he is enthusiastic for his jumping. Presumabley teeth, saddle back all checked.

You could try the chain hackamore, the combination or a calmer for competitions.

I would go for the combination option. It has the advantages of the hackamore and the bit without being totally focused on on the mouth.

What bits have you tried?

polyphonic

Visit site
All teeth, back, saddle etc! He has been like it for years but as he is getting fitter I am struggling to contain it! Tried all the bits and calmers under the sun! I'll start looking into the combi, thank you

hellybelly6

Visit site
You are welcome, if this does not work, there is always the german hackamore which is very strong and should be used with caution.

I hope this works for you.

bellaboo

Visit site
My mare could also get a little onward bound when in an english hackamore, changed her over to a myler short shank combination and it's perfect for her, steering is good too!