Comfiest horses ever?

McFluff

Visit site
I find my Welsh very comfy. He fits me well, and when his back is soft and he’s working into the contact, he floats. In Welsh dragon mode, not so much!
When on a riding holiday in Spain, I loved the PRE - there was one in particular who had a lovely feeling of soft power.
The other one I really remember was a Hanoverian that I got lessons on years ago. So beautifully schooled and like a rolls Royce to ride. Made me feel much better than I was.

Cob Life

Visit site
An enormous tb - over 17hh - so perhaps not pure tb but who knows. I felt like a king riding him, he had an enormous canter but it was heaven to sit to.
My instructors horse is Like this, huge with a giant canter to match he’s so comfy!

The cob I ride has a comfy trot, his collected trot I could sit to all day, it just sucks you into the saddle, his canter not so comfy

MissTyc

Visit site
My Hackney x Trotter .... Zeros in dressage for "canter not shown"; "incorrect footfall in trot", but I could sit on her for hours. Never unseated by spooks sideways leaps as she was just SO comfortable. She has a running walk that was as fast as any normal trot and it made you feel like you were in a speedboat, just lean back and wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Umbongo

Visit site
Comfiest horses I have ever ridden have all been arab crosses.
Arab x new forest
Arab x welsh D
Anglo arab
Never ridden a full arab mind you.

littleshetland

Visit site
In one way you are correct, but the definition of "properly" is entirely invented to suit whatever equine sport of choice you are engaging in. The most comfortable horse I ever rode was a Tennessee Walking Horse that I retrained/rehabilitated from the horrors of Big Lick showing, closely followed by the majority of my PRE's. Conversely the least comfortable have been the best moving of my WB dressage competition horses, their extremely elastic and athletic paces and very active backs did NOT make them nice to sit on.
Apologies for the temporary de-railing of this interesting thread, but I'd genuinely love to hear more about your experiences of re-training and re-hab of a TWH. From what Ive seen of this 'Big Lick' showing scene has quite literally made me feel quite sick. How did you bring a horse back from that particular hellish existence?

Btw, the comfiest horse I've ever sat on was 'Blackie', my old ex racer.

southerncomfort

Visit site
My Fell pony. ?

Didn't feel so great when he was first backed, but he really filled out during his winter hols. He's now wide enough but not too wide. I feel very 'plugged in' when riding him. I could never properly master sitting trot on any other horse but I could sit his trot all day long! I now prefer it to rising trot! ?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Non gaited -lusitano but also remember some anglos from my youth who were seriously lovely to ride.
Out of the gaited, probably paso fino but favourite out of paso, Icelandic and TWH would be my tainted horse of choice.
my Fell is pretty comfy tbh, these smaller natives ride bigger than they are-I rode one Fell mare who had a beautiful trot.
the worst- warmbloods without a doubt.