Comfy inexpensive jods/breeches?

Captain Bridget

Visit site
Rather embarrassingly when I went to try someone's horse on Saturday I realised I had a big hole in the thigh of my jodphurs! I only have two pairs of navy jods and one beige as they were all allowed at college. Both navy have holes and I don't much like wearing the beige as they get so dirty!

So now I'm looking for some new jods/breeches. Comfy is the main thing, no seams under the crotch! I had a pair like that which was horrendous!

Not too expensive, pref under £30 a pair. Full seat would be a bonus but not hugely bothered. Something that comes in nice colours, not garish pink, but navy, grey etc. Preferably no turn ups on the ankles either as my boots don't go on with these! Hence looking at breeches too.

Nothing too thick or too thin, decent, stretchy material, not pull on, need a proper button and zip fly or similar.

What are the Derby House breeches like? This pair especially: http://www.derbyhouse.co.uk/Equestr...s/Derby+House+Vancouver+Breeches_505-0138.htm

ghostie

Visit site
Randomly I bought some from the Tesco website and they are fab. Cheap at £18 and hardwearing, super comfy and they wash really well. They have a really handy little zip pocket too which is much better than those odd internal ones!

They are these ones (weirdly they do a different listing for each size, but I think all sizes are on there if you search):

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-7913.aspx

Ella19

Visit site
I love my Tesco's jods!!

I just got some HKM ones off ebay and have to say they are fab too and have a full suede seat.

Hedwards

Visit site
I havent got the Vancouver breeches from DH, however I do have a pair of the Ottawa city breeches, and love them, particularly the high waist!

walkers_dream

Visit site
EBAY! i got mine for 9.99 they are silly comfortable and really well made! (Not managed to break them like i normally do!) so much so im getting some more, ill find the link later on as in work so cant accsess ebay...apparently we wont do work we will be on it all day.... no idea why they assume that its not like i scan through here all day every day :cool:

becca1305

Visit site
Hkm jodhpurs are nice. I have a pair which are kept as my spare (ie in case I come a cropper) competition jods and they are pretty comfy and look good enough. I also have some bridleways ones which are also good. However jodhpurs I like usually have really long legs to fit me! Im sure in the hkm i bought a tall so they should do standard, but I *think* bridleways ones were lovely and long as standard. I have just bought my first pair of expensive jods- a set of eurostar that were on sale in a long size and they seem totally worth the extra money! Soooo comfortable and flattering. Im going to test the longevity as the material feels stronger than my typical jods and if they last longer before holing etc just going to invest in them when I can find them on sale from now on :D.

Switcheroo

Visit site
This place is amazing for everything horsey:

fasttackdirect.co.uk

Some really great bargains on there for anyone short on money! And guess what? They currently have a sale on their jods. :p

Foxy girl

Visit site
Another vote for Tesco! £18, black, with pockets and very comfy. Only downside is they are very thick so may be too hot for summer riding, but perfect for right now. My OH bought me some Splash jods for xmas but I'm putting them on ebay cos they are so deep from crotch to waist - I feel like Simon Cowell!

OFG

Visit site
I was only looking on Derby House last week as need to get some new breeches (have worked out the ones I have were the ones I got when I went to Duchy College back in 1994:eek: still look great but want some new ones)

Might be being a bit of a numpty but when ordering on line are the sizes (e.g. 30 / 32 etc) waist measurements or leg measurements :confused:

I don't normally buy on line as have very long legs and past experiences have put me off as I normally end up sending everything back as it doesn't fit :(

dafthoss

Visit site
Another tesco vote :). Glad I'm not the only one who wears them every one thinks I'm a bit mad when I say they are from tesco but they are super comfy and I wear them all year.

savia

Visit site
I got my breeches at Decathlon, which is just down the road from me:D

You can order them online as well and I think mine cost around the £14 mark.
Really stretchy, a bit like leggings, but they are way more durable and no holes as yet, after 5 years:) And they aren't pull ons and don't have any inside seams.

Kat

Visit site
The £15 ones from decathlon are great and come in a decent variety of sensible colours (beige, black, grey, navy, brown).

They are my current favourites, nice and long so that the velcro doesn't dig in, waist stays up, stretchy but not flimsy and they seem to wash well too.

Not the warmest but fine for everyday use.

Captain Bridget

Visit site
The £15 ones from decathlon are great and come in a decent variety of sensible colours (beige, black, grey, navy, brown).

They are my current favourites, nice and long so that the velcro doesn't dig in, waist stays up, stretchy but not flimsy and they seem to wash well too.

Not the warmest but fine for everyday use.

They look good but only seem to have them in beige or black on the website sadly. Beige would get too dirty and black would make me look like a ninja with a black coat and black boots! :(

The only decathlon I've ever been to was somewhere in France, I can't remember where, and I was banned from looking at the horsey section as I was with the rest of my family!

BlairandAzria

Visit site
The derby house Vancouver breeches are lovely, really thick fabric and the full seat us suede so really good for the sticky bum effect! I didn't realise they were on offer I might have to buy some more at that price-I definitely paid full price for the other ones humph !

noblesteed

Visit site
I swear by Saxon 'warm-up' jods. They are under £30 I think, dead comfy, hardwearing, wash brilliantly and you can stick them in the tumble dryer. I have 2 black pairs that I alternate daily and wash every week, use them for all stable jobs as well as riding. I think they have lasted me about 4 years but I will probs replace them this summer, with the same if possible. They are proper jods, no scratchy velcro round your ankles.
I also had a good cheapo pair from Decathlon, unfortunately they were grey and got a bit stained but did the job for a couple of years. They were breeches too so had the annoying velcro.
The worst pair I have are some very pretty checky Derby House ones - they just don't seem to 'fit' properly. They have a high waist that slides down so by the time I have tacked up I have to remember to pull them back up again before I mount up. Oh and they have the velcro bits too.
Also I have a pair of Caldene that are about 20 years old, they were my sister's and are still fine!

Kat

Visit site
Urgh no saxon jodhs were the worst I have ever owned! Fit was horrible, went baggy when you put them on, didn't stay up, had a seam right down the inside leg and then a minor fall in a school resulted in a big rip. Seemed a good excuse to bin them! They weren't mega cheap either!

My Aldi jodhs are better than the saxon ones and they are less than £20.

dallastheo

Visit site
all i have is Sherwood Forest jodpurs nowadays, they are so soft and fit well, love the design on the bum too! look like denim but are like dead elasticy material, tried on some derby house katie price looking ones, god they were awfull and tight around knee then baggy above,urgh,horrible got them straight off and they wer like £60!!! sherwood forest i get bramble colour from local tack shop - 25 quid, bargain!!! :) xxx

Captain Bridget

Visit site
I swear by Saxon 'warm-up' jods. They are under £30 I think, dead comfy, hardwearing, wash brilliantly and you can stick them in the tumble dryer. I have 2 black pairs that I alternate daily and wash every week, use them for all stable jobs as well as riding. I think they have lasted me about 4 years but I will probs replace them this summer, with the same if possible. They are proper jods, no scratchy velcro round your ankles.
I also had a good cheapo pair from Decathlon, unfortunately they were grey and got a bit stained but did the job for a couple of years. They were breeches too so had the annoying velcro.
The worst pair I have are some very pretty checky Derby House ones - they just don't seem to 'fit' properly. They have a high waist that slides down so by the time I have tacked up I have to remember to pull them back up again before I mount up. Oh and they have the velcro bits too.
Also I have a pair of Caldene that are about 20 years old, they were my sister's and are still fine!

They're what I have at the moment! But both navy pairs have holes in them after a few years wear! The beige are okay because I don't wear them as much but I bought a new pair of beige as my first have stains from the saddle and they are totally different even though they're exactly the same size, too big and far too long. They are really comfy just not very impressed with the change in sizing.

I want something I can order online really, my local tack shop doesn't stock any low price items really!

noblesteed

Visit site
Oh dear, not good about the Saxon jods, I won't buy any more if they are rubbish now! Mine are 4 years old, I bet they have changed the design or fabric or something :( I hate it when manufacturers do that! Why does everything drop to bits nowadays?

Kat

Visit site
Check where your nearest decathlon is, they have loads of horsey stuff cheap. They are normally at out of town locations so easy to get to and easy to park. My local one is next to IKEA, it is a big of a drive but worth doing every now and then as there are good deals and I can normally combine it with something else. You can also try on, they have a little changing room in the equestrian section especially.

If you really want to order online then robinsons robust jodhs are very hard wearing. The sizing can be a bit interesting though.

Captain Bridget

Visit site
Oh dear, not good about the Saxon jods, I won't buy any more if they are rubbish now! Mine are 4 years old, I bet they have changed the design or fabric or something :( I hate it when manufacturers do that! Why does everything drop to bits nowadays?

The material seems exactly the same it's just they were too big on me. Had to fold them up at the bottom which made it a bit tricky getting my gaiters on! I got my previous pairs in 2008 probs and this last pair last year.

My nearest Decathlon is Reading which is too far to go for some jods! There is a Robinsons about 40 mins from me so could head there just never been very impressed with them.

Dubsie

Visit site
Eileen Douglas in Wokingham have buy one get one halfprice on their own brand in store which makes 2 pairs for £30 IIRC.

Go Outdoors have sent me a flyer with Harry Hall for £19.99. Am looking with a view to stocking up daughter for PC camp this summer and she's so tall she's in adult ones now

otherwise Equestrian Clearance often have good offers