Coming out of box rest.

Carlosmum

Visit site
M has been on box rest for chronic laminitis since January. With the farriers help and vet advice he is now sound. I have begun to walk him out in hand round the farm, gong a little further each time. He is a bit of a pig, desperately wants to explode, and is actually being very good and holding it all together. At what point would you start a little lunging? I have access to a school and would only work slowly but I also need to think about getting back on board too, so will definitely need to lunge before that happens. I don't want to do anything too soon, but I'm very aware of his frustration. So far I've not even thought about turnout as I really don't feel comfortable with him on grass at this time of year even with a muzzle, and have no chance of persuading OH to build me a turnout pen.
Any one been through this? I think I preferred when he was stuck in is stable and I didn't have to make these decisions.

eggs

Visit site
What does your vet advise?
when mine came off box rest for laminitis - although that was only three weeks - I fenced off a very small piece (about the size of two stables) that had been well grazed. His field mates were in the same field on the other side of the electric.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I wouldn't lunge his likely to turn himself inside out I would use sedalin and turn out in an area without grass or a very small bare grass paddock first, then once his settled I would try some sort of work you can use a few mls of sedalin when you ride to just take the edge off, but you might find once his had a bit of out time he will probably be OK.