COMING OUT OF WINTER

ApacheWarrior1

Visit site
My 9 year old cob has wintered out nicely, clipped and rugged up but if anything he is a bit too lean and has lost condition. Do I leave well alone now that spring is on its way, or do I give him something just to help him get a bit of help - never had this problem before as Ive always had to starve my cobs!! He is prone to Mallanders and Sallenders so I cant give him biotin based feeds.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Agree wholeheartedly with ycbm. It’s shocking how quickly they can pile it back on. I think (hope) we’ve had the last frost behind us so it won’t be long now till that grass shoots up.

I’m jealous. My pony has been unrugged for the last couple of weeks and it’s taken the edge off but I could really do with a few more kg off her.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
yes I thought so - Ive just never seen him lean and it was a bit of a shock! i normally spend my life trying to keep his weight down!!

Seriously, you've done well. You've given him a better chance of staying healthy and a few more weeks of unrestricted eating than he might have had. Well done.

If he doesn't put some on though, obviously start thinking about why, but I wouldn't even think about it until at least a month has passed.