Coming to a park near you - if they can walk that far.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
At least something like that won't have the physical or aerobic ability to do much damage should it inherit the XL Bully prey drive... (said firmly tongue in cheek!)

maisie06

Visit site
Poor things = they look vile, there's a couple around here and they sort of roll rather than walk - you won't have to worry about them attacking you though, a slightly faster than normal walk and they won't keep up!!

SilverLinings

Visit site
There were a few 'exotic', pocket and micro bullies around when I looked at the number of XLBs for sale just before the ban came in, but there seem to be a lot more now, and they sadly seem to be more grotesquely deformed.

As a seemingly large number of dog breeders in the UK (and not just those who breed variations of the bully) seem either mentally incapable or ethically/financially unwilling to prioritise (or ever consider) health when breeding I think we are getting to the point where we (the UK) need to look at whether some legislative controls are necessary. The German anti 'torture breeding' welfare laws have historically been difficult to enforce (hopefully recent changes to the legislation will improve this), but at least it raises public awareness of the consequences of breeding physical extremes/deformities or breeding animals who are carriers of certain diseases (especially bluntly labelling it 'torture breeding'), and puts breeders at risk of sanctions if they strive to produce something that can't breath/walk/breed/see/has skin problems/has MSK problems/etc. There are similar laws in Austria and Switzerland, and they don't just apply to dogs.

Some people clearly need it pointing out to them loudly and clearly that breeding and buying deformed animals with physical difficulties is cruel, as clearly they seem more interested in following fashion. If the KC was fit for purpose and actually interested in welfare then they could play a key role here regarding the stamping out of poor breeding practices and the registration of deformed dogs, but sadly I can't see them being bothered. I realise that the police would be unlikely to enforce any anti-torture breeding legislation, but it might be a good baton for the RSPCA etc to take up. Hopefully it would also ultimately force reform of the KC.

I'm Dun

Visit site
If insurance companies stopped paying out for pre existing conditions, as in genetic ones like hip dysplasia, or dogs needing their airways operated on and anything else that's inherited, it would go an awfully long way towards stopping this sort of breeding dead in its tracks. Im always surprised when they do pay out, given how strict they are on all other pre existing conditions.

SilverLinings

Visit site
If insurance companies stopped paying out for pre existing conditions, as in genetic ones like hip dysplasia, or dogs needing their airways operated on and anything else that's inherited, it would go an awfully long way towards stopping this sort of breeding dead in its tracks. Im always surprised when they do pay out, given how strict they are on all other pre existing conditions.
I is really odd, I can't think of anything else that you can buy already broken and then claim on your insurance to have it fixed. It's also not fair that the more money insurance companies pay out on claims, the more we all pay in terms of increased premiums (although I'd hope the premiums for those breeds bare the brunt of it).

My concern about making them uninsurable is that I think there may be a fair few owners who wouldn't pay for surgery if their dog was uninsurable. I've met too many people who don't see a problem with their dog struggling to breath or walk, and heard too many people whinge about having to pay vets fees for even routine stuff to have faith that they would fork out for surgery unless it was a live-or-die emergency*. Mind you, owners turning down necessary surgery (e.g. to improve breathing) could I suppose be reported to the RSPCA as a welfare issue.

It's another example of where a public education programme would help-
'breeds X/Y/Z commonly have the following problems, they cost £XXXXX to fix, and from 2025 you will not be able to get veterinary insurance for new dogs'
It is bizarre that the slightest conformational irregularity noted on a PPE will result in horse insurance exclusions, but you can buy a seriously deformed and unhealthy dog an insure it with no problem, and the company will pay out.

*Someone I work with thinks their pug's seriously loud and laboured breathing is 'cute' and the reason he can't walk more than a few metres without a rest is because he's 'naughty'. Several of us have repeatedly tried to explain the reality of the situation to her, but she either won't or doesn't want to believe us.