comments on these shod fronts please thinking of going unshod...

mightymammoth

Visit site
IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

Sorry they're enormous...not sure how to shrink them. I would really appreciate comments on these shod fronts please. I am thinking of taking them off, to me the heels are under run. Would really appreciate others comments.

Long story short is that he was left shod in the same shoes for 6 months before I had him and I'm still trying to undo the damage this has done. My thoughts were to take his shoes off to allow his body to right itself and grow the hoof it needs?

He is unshod behind.

Thanks

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Sounds like it could really help. The heels are under run and contracted. Nothing serious. Stimulation and taking away the constriction will really help. It's just what happens when shod generally speaking.

It's not that bad a shoeing job given the hooves, the long toes are not helping but just rasping them shorter is not the answer. He needs to build up the back of his foot and develop a better foot shape internally.

What's his diet like at the moment? Do go to Phoenix forum there is a lot of good advice. Maybe when you do take the shoes off, a period of turnout to start with.

Last edited:

mightymammoth

Visit site
Sounds like it could really help. The heels are under run and contracted. Nothing serious. Stimulation and taking away the constriction will really help. It's just what happens when shod generally speaking.

It's not that bad a shoeing job given the hooves, the long toes are not helping but just rasping them shorter is not the answer. He needs to build up the back of his foot and develop a better foot shape internally.

What's his diet like at the moment? Do go to Phoenix forum there is a lot of good advice. Maybe when you do take the shoes off, a period of turnout to start with.

thank you, yes if they weren't rasped off and left to there true angel they would be very long. PS I've got the same thread running on phoenix :)

cptrayes

Visit site
I think, if the photos are showing a true picture, that you have some serious imbalances going on in those feet which would really benefit from a period out of shoes. Look at the growth rings, which seem to drop at the toe, and also the shots from the rear where they appear to be longer on one side than the other and putting the weight off to one side and not down the back of the foot.

Your farrier has been cutting off massive chunks of frog, and it may be wise to let that recover for a few weeks before taking off the shoes.

Be aware also that your horse's frogs are already on or very near the floor in shoes. When you take off the shoes this is going to cause huge pressure on the frog and as a result you may get abscesses. Unfortunately there will be little you can do to prevent that, given the feet, but try not to worry too much and try not to let the vet/farrier cut a hole in the sole. Abscessing from frog presssure should burst in the heel with little problem.

You would do well to find another trimmer if you cannot stop your farrier from sculpting the frog like that when you take the horse barefoot.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I dont' know enough about feet to comment (I get my advice from the like of CPT and Oberon!) but just wanted to wish you luck. I found hoof boots invaluable for the fronts when they came off, so it may be worth investing in some. x

mightymammoth

Visit site
I think, if the photos are showing a true picture, that you have some serious imbalances going on in those feet which would really benefit from a period out of shoes. Look at the growth rings, which seem to drop at the toe, and also the shots from the rear where they appear to be longer on one side than the other and putting the weight off to one side and not down the back of the foot.

Your farrier has been cutting off massive chunks of frog, and it may be wise to let that recover for a few weeks before taking off the shoes.

Be aware also that your horse's frogs are already on or very near the floor in shoes. When you take off the shoes this is going to cause huge pressure on the frog and as a result you may get abscesses. Unfortunately there will be little you can do to prevent that, given the feet, but try not to worry too much and try not to let the vet/farrier cut a hole in the sole. Abscessing from frog presssure should burst in the heel with little problem.

You would do well to find another trimmer if you cannot stop your farrier from sculpting the frog like that when you take the horse barefoot.

Thank you for the comments yes agree with what you say, certainly the unshod backs I do not allow them to touch as I don't want them hacking away at the sole and frog.

You are also spot on about the imbalance this was confirmed by xrays and supposedly addressed by egg bar shoes :rolleyes:.

He does dish and is pigeon toed so my hope is that his body and confirmation needs will help him grow the hoof he needs to support his movement with less wear and tear on his hooves.

Angua2

Visit site
He does dish and is pigeon toed so my hope is that his body and confirmation needs will help him grow the hoof he needs to support his movement with less wear and tear on his hooves.

Just wanted to add, that he will do exactly what you want. Mine did, and is a lot sounder now than she was before (not that she wasn't but she really didn't like hills or slopes of any kind), and as for being pidgeon toed..... what pidgeon toes :D

Andalucian

Visit site
These pictures look like one of my horses did before I took her out of shoes. She was in early stages of navicular. The heels are underrun, this is the hardest thing to reverse for these feet, so agree with others, shoes off, soft surfaces, no stony ground and boots/pads to protect them.

7 years on my horse is still eventing/fun rides without shoes, quite happily....and what navicular???