Common Hogweed

nicknick

Visit site
OK so in my new field I have found "common Hogweed" Hairy pony has obviously ingested some! Does anyone have any tried and tested methods of removal, I am confused by all the literature about this weed, I realise it will be a long process (seeds lie dormant) but would like to hear any success stories and methods about it's removal.

Paddy Irish

Visit site
Dig it up - but you MUST use gloves , the roots are long and fingery looking and may give you a nasty rash . Part of the same family as cow parsley and hemlock so best got rid of if you can and all three plants become more poisonous towards the roots so pony should be ok , but get rid if you can.

Al.

nicknick

Visit site
Thank you for your reply, thats what i thought would have to be done, was hoping there may be an easier solution but obv not lol, x
Nicknick

Nari

Visit site
I thought common hogweed, & cow parsley, were fine apart from common hogweed causing increased photosensitivity if too much is eaten? Giant hogweed I was told is poisonous, but also less often found.

nicknick

Visit site
Hairy pony has photosensitivity after breaking out of the already grazed (No Hogweed in this half) of the field, 6 times in 3 days :( poor boy has a very sore (pink) nose and I don't want a repeat of it anytime soon. xxx