Common Hogweed

Visit site
I have found what I *think* is Common Hogweed in one of my new fields (no horses have been in it yet). Am I correct in thinking this is poisonous to horses and needs removing? Is this different to Hemlock? Some of it has flowered and some is large clumps of leaves low to ground. Haven't got a photo but can get one tomorrow... if it does need removing what is the best way? It is well spread out over quite a large field so fencing it off isn't really an option. Any advice much appreciated!

Quigleyandme

Visit site
My horses have all loved eating hogweed which is a very common hedgerow plant here. I would google it to get a definitive answer about how toxic it is or isn't.

Reactions: DD

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
Hogweed is in the same family as hemlock but perfectly safe to feed. Hemlock has purple splotches up the stems. Once you have seen both you will not get them mixed up.

lamlyn2012

Visit site
We had it in one of our fields when we moved here four years ago. We have just about got it under control.
I don't think it's actually poisonous but can cause a nasty skin reaction when combined with sunlight.
It is very difficult to get under control and you'll have to be very persistent.
If you try digging one out you'll see why...the route system is huge.
We found the only thing which really had an effect was spraying with glysophate. Grazon is supposed to have some control
but we found it useless.
Importantly don't let it seed, remove flower heads as soon as they appear,as each flowerhead contains hundreds of seeds. Unfortunately spraying with glyphosate will kill the grass as well. It will die back in winter but will be back around feb/march.
It may be worth speaking to a company like Progreen for advise as new things are coming on the market all the time.

Fiona

Visit site
I have found what I *think* is Common Hogweed in one of my new fields (no horses have been in it yet). Am I correct in thinking this is poisonous to horses and needs removing? Is this different to Hemlock? Some of it has flowered and some is large clumps of leaves low to ground. Haven't got a photo but can get one tomorrow... if it does need removing what is the best way? It is well spread out over quite a large field so fencing it off isn't really an option. Any advice much appreciated!

Are you sure it isn't cow parsley Anthriscus sylvestris which is completely harmless to horses.....

Fiona

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Common hogweed isn't poisonous... My horses eat it and have done so for years.

Giant hogweed is poisonous and causes a nasty rash if touched in sunlight.

Fiona

Visit site
Common hogweed isn't poisonous... My horses eat it and have done so for years.

Giant hogweed is poisonous and causes a nasty rash if touched in sunlight.

According to Wikipedia cow parsley is Anthriscus sylvestris and common hogweed is Heracleum sphondylium.

Similar but different, one may be slightly toxic, the other as you point out can be eaten (mine adore it in May).

Fiona

whiteflower

Visit site
Make sure it's not giant hogweed, as said above it can cause severe skin problems and spreads really.quickly, one plant has hundreds of seeds. We have battled it for the last few years and finally have it under control