Companion conundrum - ideas please

Mix26

Visit site
Hi all

My partner and I have been lucky enough to recently move to our own smallholding.

Initially with two horses but I am now down to one having recently made the heartbreaking decision to have one PTS. My remaining lad is quite enjoying being an only child, not at all stressed or calling etc.

That aside I would like to get him some company, I am not yet ready for another horse so was thinking of a goat or two? Any thoughts on this? Am I mad?!

We are out in the box for lessons, hacks etc all the time so he is kept busy, but I think I'd like to get him a buddy.........

paddi22

Visit site
don't get goats! they are absolute demons and destroy everything. we had two pygmy ones and they were satan incarnate.

If iw as in your boat i'd get a mini from a rescue - easy to keep, cheap on feed. And they tend to be self reliant little things so you can pop them in a stable when you take the other horse out, without worrying they will jump doors etc.

I woudn't be convinced your lad is happy being by himself, often they don't pace or call they just retreat into themselves. If you have an option to get a companion def go for an equine one.

and don't get goats, do a search on pygmy goats here and you will soon change your mind! The last thing mine did before we rehomed them was eat the coolant pipe on my jeep and overheat the engine. They had eaten the oil pipe a month before. They are demons.

sunshine100*

Visit site
Hi all

My partner and I have been lucky enough to recently move to our own smallholding.

Initially with two horses but I am now down to one having recently made the heartbreaking decision to have one PTS. My remaining lad is quite enjoying being an only child, not at all stressed or calling etc.

That aside I would like to get him some company, I am not yet ready for another horse so was thinking of a goat or two? Any thoughts on this? Am I mad?!

We are out in the box for lessons, hacks etc all the time so he is kept busy, but I think I'd like to get him a buddy.........

your horse may not be showing signs of stress but inside he will-he has lost his pal-so i would say get another pony/shetland for company from a charity-horses need a friend-to help each other sleep and itch one another

Chuffy99

Visit site
Mine loved his goat friend, I bought her a waterproof large dog coat as goats are like donkeys and not waterproof, he used to pick her up by the surcingle and carry her about, kids hated the goats milk tho!

Orangehorse

Visit site
I think it is really easier to get another equine of some sort. If you have another species they have different needs, feed, vet problems. Unless you are experienced with goats and really want one and NEED one for some reason I wouldn't!
They die, they escape, they eat everything they are not supposed to.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I am in a very similar position having lost one on Monday. The big lad isn't showing obvious signs of stress but I see him standing around a lot more than normal and I do think he's depressed on some level. But he'll be getting a wee friend next week so it's only short term. I definitely wouldn't want to make it permanent - he has sheep for company atm but it's not the same at all. Nobody to play with or groom or graze alongside. All natural behaviours.

paddi22

Visit site
mine spend its whole time eating rugs, manes, tails, haynets. The horses spent their whole time trying to kill the goats (as did my husband). Anytime we had a day away we would invariably get a phone call saying one of them had gotten stuck in our neighbours metal gate and did we know a welder who could rescue it or it had pulled the license plate off someones car. mini pony all the way!

Equi

Visit site
I would struggle to recommend one mini as a companion purely because they usually require less than a horse so in summer both will be alone as the mini is likely to need restricted grazing.

Could you possibly take in a livery ? or a foster ? I hate goats so can't get one of those lol

WelshD

Visit site
I have a real love hate relationship with my goats. The trouble that comes with them is of lifewrecking proportions - I have developed an Oscar winning "oh my gosh they have never done THAT before!" To the stream of people knocking at my door demanding to know why their conifers/prize winning dahlias/cats collar/mudguards have been eaten by my goats

The goats have been sufficient company for a lone pony when one or two others have been away for some reason but the lone pony inevitably perks up more when their equine pal comes home so I wouldn't rely on the goats long term

...even if I could find them!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Go to a charity and explain your situ. They probably have several that may suit and it's hugely rewarding. We took on a old section A last year. We are still watching him come out of his shell and I like the fact I know the little chap had a sh@@ life but I'm preventing it happening again. Ours is on the Blue Cross non ridden companion scheme so I get help with some bills too.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Our neighbours had goats. They were for ever wandering out of their field, quite a long walk across to our farm yard, and then they would be in the garden eating my plants (some of which were poisonous), or climbing up the hay in the barn or eating the cattle food. In the end the owner got fed up with fetching them back home and they gradually disappeared and she didn't replace them!

Sandstone1

Visit site
I wouldn't get a goat. They are hard work. Eat everything except what you want them too, escape, eat neighbours flowers, break fences and hate getting wet.
I'd get a small rescue pony or even two. A different species for company is not ideal. Remember horses are herd animals and he will be missing company even if you don't think he is.

paddi22

Visit site
an old rescue is a good idea to. we got an ancient one in last year and it was a perfect companion and it was lovely to be able to give it a nice stable, good bed and rugging at the end of a life which had obviously gotten very rough for years and years. It was really rewarding and i'd do it again in a heart beat.

Adopter

Visit site
A pony from a rescue organisation will act as a companion, and will not be demanding. The rescues have so many lovely ponies available and not many people take them on at this time of year. The advantage is you will get support, a good handover about the Pony and if something goes wrong or your situation changes the rescue will take the Pony back.

I was at Blue Cross today and some really lovely ponies all wanting homes as companions, but also ones you could bring on in the future if you wanted.

spookypony

Visit site
I got a retired pony on loan from a riding school, and she's been a godsend, even though I added a 3rd horse a while later. She's totally chilled, not stressed about being left alone for a few hours, and generally a fabby pony to have around, even though she tries to lean on the hoof trimmer! :D

This arrangement is good for everyone involved, because the riding school is happy that the pony isn't taking up space in their fields, and they are happy to let me manage her as I see fit. And I have a happy little group of 3! :)

PorkChop

Visit site
Gawd, don't get a goat, you will honestly regret it!

I would get a small pony, not mini, from a local rescue. If you don't want another equine and you have good fencing then my next choice would be a few sheep.

Kaylum

Visit site
At our rescue we have over 10 little ones looking for homes you know you don't need a small jockey for them as some are quite showy and you could do in hand showing with them. We also have a Rescued and Rehomed Showing Series which stsrts in April and anyone with a rescued equine can enter online even if you have rescued it yourself. An equine needs another equine for company and you can have lots of fun with a smaller pony around. www.hopepastures.org

squirkle

Visit site
You'd probably be better with a smaller pony or Shetland than goats, I find them a lot of work as cute as they are. Perhaps a donkey? There are usually plenty of them in rescues needing a home.

Mix26

Visit site
Thank you all for your responses!! I knew in my heart that he was lonely and a goat wouldn't cut it! So a week before Christmas we picked up a little section D colt foal!! Oh my! What a tonic he has been!!

He has certainly cheered us all up!!

I'd love to post some pics but not sure how!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Oh please post pics! Go to photobucket.com and load pics on there, then copy the img code, paste it in here.

Long term, I'm really hoping we will buy a property with land, I'll be straight to the rescues for a companion if the boy is still around.