Companion Conundrum

newboult51

Visit site
Hello my lovely people

I have just (2 weeks ago) bought a 14 hand pony to hack which I keep at home. So far she has lived at home alone and doesn’t seem too distressed at all during the day though she does appear to box walk overnight (circles in her bedding). She is kept off the grass entirely due to weight issues and just has soaked hay twice a day. She is the sweetest mare and so far is quite happy mooching round the village with me which is exactly what I want.
Now here’s the thing - I have been offered a 12.2 non ridden companion by blue cross. I think it would be good for my mare to have a friend as I don’t really hold with keeping equines alone but I am very worried it will cause separation issues every time I try to leave the yard. I mean they might not care less but I think the possibility is there.
What do I do ? Give it a go or just keep her alone or with sheep?
Opinions gratefully received!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Just make sure where you leave the one is safe and secure so it's not tempted to jump or push its way out and be authorative to your pony to ensure no bad manners are allowed such as whipping around, refusing to leave and so on; shouting you can put up with and they'll soon learn they'll be back together shortly

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I've kept just 2 at home several times and they have always been fine, I always bring both in when I ride 1 they have never coped being left in the field alone they just gallop about screaming, they have always been absolutely fine being left in there stables though.

Titchy Pony

Visit site
Definitely give it a go. I only have two at home at the minute. My riding pony spent one night alone before I picked up her new companion. The very first day, I took my riding pony out for a short in hand walk, leaving the companion with a bucket feed. I got someone to supervise the companion the first couple of times I took the riding pony out and there was never an issue. I always leave her with her head in a bucket. She does sometimes shout when she hears the trailer leaving or coming back but is rather settled the rest of the time.
Interestingly, they have both got into this set up, so if I do it the other way round for any reason and take my companion out and leave my riding pony alone, they both shout their heads off. Need to work on this a bit more.

JackFrost

Visit site
Talk to the Blue cross about this pony and whether it has done the job before of being a left-alone companion. If it hasn't, see if they have another with a track record of being ok with it. It's a bit of a risk if they don't know.

It's worth taking time to find the right companion. Blue Cross had a minimum 3 months return policy on sending one back if it doesn't work - a long time to be stuck with one that's getting upset or upsetting your ridden horse, or just not right. Check with them exactly what the deal is - when I last rehomed from them there was no flexibility on this, but it could have changed.
Most rescue charities work with a month notice return period.
Absolutely get a companion for your ridden horse, but make sure to find one that will be a joy to have, not an additional worry.

irishdraft

Visit site
When I have just 2 at home they have always been ok with one leaving. I wouldn't keep a horse on their own although there is at least 3 on their own in my area .One of them has been on his own the whole time ive been here which is 20 years.

Griffin

Visit site
I have my mare that I ride and a companion mare in the field (who was ridden but is now pretty much retired). Both are fine if I get one in and not the other for an hour or so, I just make sure that they have plenty of food available.

meesha

Visit site
I've got 2, the loan pony was a bit upset the first time I left her but just called, she is now totally fine with us going out without her. she is older which I think helps. She has been left on her own for 3 nights and looked after by my OH when I went to Exmoor riding...she was fine. I have a camera so could see how she reacted when I went out without her.

I personally would never keep one without another equine companion. I struggled to get a loan pony as most rescues didn't want one left on its own ever !!!!

Landcruiser

Visit site
Only one of my two was OK with being left home alone, the other would go hysterical if left behind (although he was perfectly happy to go out alone). Then I got a youngster and the problem was solved. I recently lost my oldest boy, so I'm back to two, and I contacted rescues looking for a small pony that didn't mind being left alone. On reflection I didn't think that was going to be easy to find, or possibly fair, so I have now committed to taking a bonded PAIR of rescue Sec As so I'll have four :oops: 😂. (They are only tiny;))

meleeka

Visit site
Start as you mean to go on, separating them for a short time from the very beginning. I would never want to keep a horse on its own
This. Seperate them from the very first day, so they don’t think it’s odd that one leaves. When I had a ridden one, the one left would call for a couple of minutes, then go back to the serious business of eating. Life must be very boring if you don’t have a companion.