companion dilemma

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Sorry I don't know what area you are in. They are susceptible to tb however unlike cattle they are not routinely tested and If I lived in a tb area I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.

cattyniccy

Visit site
I am northants...no idea on TB around here, surely if vaccinated it'd be ok?!

DQ-looked at rehoming through the blue cross, but feel a bit pressured incase I didnt have the time to handle etc and the horse suffered, also they insist on insuring which I understand but gets costly for a horse who will never be mine. On the plus side its rehoming a horse whihc needs it, which I like the idea of, even if he is handled less than I'd like in the future? The whole rehoming thing confuses me, I want to do good but dont want to let the horse down?! Plus not sure about the pressure if its not mine and it went wrong!

CazD

Visit site
How about an oldie? We have an 11.2 welsh mountain type who the vet estimates is 25 plus. She was a rescue pony. She's cheap to keep, doesnt give a toss about being left on her own, only insured for third party liability via the BHS and *touch wood* has so far been very healthy and not incurred any vets fees over and above teeth and vaccinations. I dont do much handling with her - a bit of a cuddle while I'm poo picking and the odd grooming session but not much more really. She's worth her weight in gold to us. You might find something similar at one of the markets.

Last edited:

PandorasJar

Visit site
Don't do alpacas if you are going to bring in new animals (esp smaller or young) or children at any point. Ours are friendly, not a problem to shear or lead etc, happy enough with most people, but will turn on smaller animals or new babies (animals) and try and stamp on them. New people seem to provoke this response too sometimes.

Goats are brilliant and bond well, I'd recommend Golden Guernseys. Friendlies breed I've ever met. Ours will happily pop over a four foot fence if there's a nice tree, company or even just on a whim though, so good fencing is required. Also please look into poisonous plants for any animal cosidered. Goats go down very quickly from being poisoned (we've had ours ill from eating a single leaf blown into the paddock). Sheep are less prone and very good for the land. Cows could be another option? Not sure with the amount of land you have though.

If you are taking in a companion it needs to be with the expectation that if it's not sellable you have it for life.
Also if you buy a youngster for turn around, it would bother me that you don't have time to ride two yet you'd have time to work on a youngster? Also your horse will attach, so if you're getting company, don't continually upset the dynamics of their herd.
Perhaps a retired horse could be an option?

Pan

hollyandivy123

Visit site
i don't know if anyone has said this as i have not read the rest of the thread, but i think the WHO of blue cross are looking to loan out youngsters as in a foster home way, maybe contacting one of them?

FairyLights

Visit site
I'm going through the same thoughts. I have 2 x 2yr olds. When they are 4 yrs they are going away to be professionally backed and then I am going to sell one of them. I just cant cope with two when they both will be in work. The remaining one will have to live alone.

cattyniccy

Visit site
PandorasJar - I am throwing ideas around, sorry if they don't tally up, I am thinking of all options rather than rushing into things, all because I want to keep Ebony happy and not make any rash decisions and end up swapping and changing later on because I've not thought things through. However, with my age etc there is a chance I will end up wanting a childs pony at some point so unfortunatly between now and then in 5 years or so things may have to change but Im trying to limit what those changes are as much as poss by getting it right now, and if I end up not being able to geta childs pony due to whatever I pick now, I wouldnt do anything horrible and would stick with what I have until a suitable arrangement comes along. I mean work on a youngster as in little and often such as grooming, feet picked up etc, rather than riding which is a lot and often!

I am looking for peoples experiences and advice as horsey owners etc, so thanks re the alpacas-do yours graze with your horses?
Goats would escape too easily i think reading what everyone has said!

The_snoopster

Visit site
I have a mini shettie with my mare as companion, when I ride the mare the shettie does not bat an eyelid that he is alone. And they are cheaper to keep tham a big horse, my farrier charges less for his trims, his vacinations are cheaper has he has less of the drug, feed bills for him are tiny. I think a lot of rescue organisations would be able to loan you a youngster as a companion, when its old enough to break they have them back then you could always have another who requires fostering.
I have no experience on goats and other types of animals as companions, as for separation anxiety I had a NF weanling as companion to a horse and it took about 1 months worth of gently training him to cope alone while I rode out the other horse.