Companion home desperately needed

AliceJB

New User
Visit site
I have a beautiful 6 year old pure bred arabian 16 hand gelding who has arthritis in his hocks. He is pain free and happy when turned out with his friends in the paddock. He is quiet and gets along with mares and geldings alike. He loves fuss and grooming.

Bombproof with children and prams. Absolutely devastated that his ridden career is over so young. I have to pay livery for my horses and my stables dont offer grass or retirement livery hence I need to re-home him. He lives out with a field shelter very happily and is currently on no feed only grass and hay put out in the winter.

I really hope someone who has the luxury of land at home will welcome him into their family. Heartbreaking decision and such a waste. Please can anyone help me?
Im happy to give him away to the right home and will contribute to any costs eg.hay in winter, feet trimming etc . . .

I just want to give my boy a chance to retire in peace.

AliceJB

New User
Visit site
I know its heart breaking. He is so young. Financially it is so hard for me because I don't have my own land at home. Home is Surrey. However, I'm open for my boy to go further a field as long we stay in contact.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
There are quite a few retirement grass livery places, I know as I looked for some for my WB to spend a few months at. They vary from around £20-£30 pw. It depends on your personal situation if you can go that route. The other option is the blood bank. The horses have a good life there.
Just options to consider if you cannot find a companion home. i hope you do, but he's quite a big boy. Someone may use him to babysit youngsters or the like.

LynH

Visit site
There is a lovely place called Surrey Grazing who do retirement livery. They have shelter in the form of a huge barn and it is a relatively stable herd with few people coming and going. They are checked and given hay in winter and definitely worth a look. I was considering sending one of my horses they having researched a few and a friends horse is there and very content.
Good luck.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
There was a thread on here recently about a hho'er who bought a horse and I can't remember why but it ended up going there and it sounded like the horses live a happy life in a big herd on masses of land and just get taken in to donate blood occasionally. If you search there are a few threads about it. The horse has to be quite big tho a 16hh Arab might be too small I am not sure.

McNally

Visit site
Anyone know where or have contact details? Im in a desperate need of a home situ aswell and might look into this option? Mines 15.2 though?

putasocinit

Visit site
blood bank - how do you know they are well looked after, you are not allowed to go and see them once they are there for disease control reasons, they cannot give blood after they reach the age of 15yo so are they destroyed on site or all sent off in a big truck to the knackers yard, because they are not kept to live out retirement. I wouldnt send one of mine there, I would rather PTS and know it can never suffer in its life, just my opinion.

There was a thread on here just a week ago looking for a companion have a search for the thread

YasandCrystal

Visit site
blood bank - how do you know they are well looked after, you are not allowed to go and see them once they are there for disease control reasons, they cannot give blood after they reach the age of 15yo so are they destroyed on site or all sent off in a big truck to the knackers yard, because they are not kept to live out retirement. I wouldnt send one of mine there, I would rather PTS and know it can never suffer in its life, just my opinion.

There was a thread on here just a week ago looking for a companion have a search for the thread

There are worse fates than pts and at least with the blood bank you know the horse won't be ridden or sold on and 10 years in a herd for a young horse is good imo. Many of the horses sent there have degenerative conditions anyway so pts at 15 years old is probably quite kind.
Personally I keep my horses, but it depends on your situation.

hotrod

New User
Visit site

There are worse fates than pts and at least with the blood bank you know the horse won't be ridden or sold on and 10 years in a herd for a young horse is good imo. Many of the horses sent there have degenerative conditions anyway so pts at 15 years old is probably quite kind.

Having worked for a pharmaceutical company who used to bleed horses, I would never leave an equine of mine to this life, even if the rumours that abound for all but one are untrue . Bled until they staggered; kept out without any drugs when they have degenerative disease? No, not for me; better to face up to responsibility and pts.

putasocinit

Visit site
hotrod - itotally agree with you.

yasandcrystal - i will go without food to try to keep my horses but if even that became an issue then i would PTS rather than pass on to others, you obviously have the land and the money well that is just a wonderful blessing for you, but for us others that is not the case.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
hotrod - itotally agree with you.

yasandcrystal - i will go without food to try to keep my horses but if even that became an issue then i would PTS rather than pass on to others, you obviously have the land and the money well that is just a wonderful blessing for you, but for us others that is not the case.

Yes exactly I do have the land and finances, but that is why I said 'it depends on your sitiuation' - I know I am lucky BUT I would never condemn anyone for pts or finding a retirement alternative for their horse. We all love our horses and want the best we can within our realistic means for them.

fizzer

Visit site
Difficult decision for OP I presume. I would find a place grass livery close to home if possible.

We always keep regardless of use, we do not pass on just because they can no longer be ridden, this is not the case for alot of people and understand everyone has different views/ideas, and not always possible.