companion turnout experiences (also in NL)

twilight01

Visit site
my mare has suffered some injuries over the last year and now requires a further period of rest. has anyone any experience of sending their horse out as a companion? Has it worked, or not, how easy was it to find a place, do people still look for companions and where is best to look. The alternative is to find grass livery but she hates being on her own so would then need something to keep with her, any ideas greatfully received.

LynH

Visit site
I sent a horse out as a companion a few years ago but he went to an acquaintance as a steady hack and companion to their hunter. He was with them until he died and they looked after him really well.
I now have just taken a companion on loan at home to keep my horses company. I was looking for a pony that had lived out before, not dominant in the herd, not prone to laminitis and could be ridden occasionally on the lead by my nephew but not need regular /daily work. I didn't want something that would cost me alot in vet bills or had an existing condition that was expensive to maintain, I already have one of those! I also didn't want a horse who would eat alot more than a pony in winter.
As a loaner I found there was alot of choice and I had the option of several sound ponies who just needed a quieter life so I could see how an injured horse would not be a loaner's first choice unless the owner were prepared to take responsibility for vet bills/supplements. However in your situation where your horse only needs a period of rest rather than a long term home I would be happy to have a friend's horse here on grass livery whilst it recovered but I wouldn't want to loan and pay for it. Unfortunately there are lots of sound ponies looking for loan homes too.
I hope this helps although it's probably not what you wanted to hear other than it can work well from both sides. Good luck.

twilight01

Visit site
Thanks LynH, it hadn't occured to me people would expect to pay for her, I was fully expecting to pay for anything she needs it;s just some grass to eat that we need which is proving difficult and not much cheaper than my livery is at present.