Compare out routines

pistolpete

Visit site
I am always reading on here about different routines for keeping horses at yards. My experience of different yards is quite varied. Our routine now is quite good, what's yours? What do you think of ours?
7.00am Feed
7.30am turn-out
2.30pm bring in
3pm pick out feed brush hay
5pm more hay
6.30pm feed
Horses in big barn and seem really settled and happy, can have a lunch feed if needed. As much hay/haylage as we want.

Charlie007

Visit site
Summer time

5.30 am ride
6.45am turnout
Sometime during evening bring in, groom, rug for the night and turn back out with feed. He is out 24/7 in spring/summer.

Winter
6am turnout and muck out, hay
4.30pm bring in, water, groom. Anytime after bringing in ride in school, rug, feed.
8pm check for the night, top hay and water

PolarSkye

Visit site
(When he goes out/when he's not broken enough to need box rest)

Fed between 7.30 and 8.00 a.m.
Turned out once finished breakfast/rugs changed/bandages removed
9.30 brought in to ride - ridden and turned straight back out
4.00 p.m. brought in - rugs changes, re-bandaged, put to bed

He has ad lib hay when stabled, hay in the field when the grazing is poor and when he is in very fast/heavy work (hunting, eventing, etc.) , I may give him a lunchtime feed in the field if needed.

P

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
At the mo they're out 24/7. Mine comes in the night before a comp or early lesson because he can be a bit cheeky to catch so its just easier. He doesn't care about being in alone.
In wintee they're stabled at night and go out about 8am. In anywhere between midday and 6pm depending on time of year, light and weather. They were fed up when it was v wet and only wanted an hour or two out.

MileAMinute

Visit site
Out at 7.30am (maybe a bit later if riding first)
In at 6.00pm and overnight with feed and adlib haylage.
Out 24/7 at the end of the month :)

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Mine are out 24/7 and checked by the YO in the morning. So my routine is:

5pm arrive and bring in to exercise.
Work
feed while I poo pick, fill up water and put out hay
turn out

Moomin1

Visit site
Out whenever I want/in whenever I want. Can pretty much go to the yard at whatever time I like. If I am turning the yard lights on etc any later than half nine in the winter then I just let the yard owner know so he doesn't panic. But other than that I generally just go whenever I want. I was checking my horse every four hours through the night last night in the field as it was her first night staying out this year and she can be prone to gassy colic.

Much prefer the freedom rather than being on a large yard with time restrictions etc.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Summer

He is out 24/7 now brought in twice a day to feed and is ridden four times a week.

Winter I work shifts so alternating weeks

Week 1.

Out at 5.45am by himself with his feed, brought in by YO at between 3.30 and 5.30pm light depending. Unless I'm riding then he is brought in by me then just bedded down when I'm finished with extra hay.

Week 2.

Out at 9/10am after a feed or ridden then fed. Brought in as above by YO.

Ceriann

Visit site
Mine are out 24/7. I bring in occasionally to groom etc but typically do that in the field and tack up to ride too. Worst of winter they were in overnight, fed about 6.30am and out at 6.45am - they would then be out until about 8pm when I would bring and they'd get ad lib hay. There were a couple of v bad days when I kept them in and with ad lib hay they were happy. I have three open top stables so they can all see each other, which I think helps. They made it clear once the period of bad rain stopped that they really didn't want to come in anymore, so once the fields dried off I was happy to oblige!

Montyforever

Visit site
Fed 6ish, hay as soon as i get there 8ish, usually groomed/exercised and turned out anywhere between 9-11 depending on what I've done with her. Bought in late anywhere between 6-8 feet picked out/rugged/fed :)

blitznbobs

Visit site
7am stabled horses fed. 8.30 after I've dropped kids at school - ride stabled ridden horse then he goes out with the minis who are also stabled at night. Then the field 2 come in and I play/ work with the youngster. after that she stands in for 1/2 an hour while I poo pick field and then they go back out... Then I muck out ... Usually all done by 11.30. Then stabled horses come in again at 'some point' depending on loads of different vairables...

blood_magik

Visit site
8 - fed and hayed
10 - start riding
12 - lunch feeds (if needed) and hay topped up.
1 - turned out.
6 - in. fed and hayed.
10 - rugs changed for the night and hayed.

or if they're going to a show:
8 - fed and hayed.
9 - turned out
1 - in and lunch feeds
2 - start riding
5 - bathed/trimmed. clean rugs on.
6 - fed and hayed.
10 - hay and night-time check.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Summer: Out 24/7. Checked and any rugs removed around 7.15am. Ridden, fed, poo picked etc around 6pm-8pm. Last check by yard owner around 10pm.
Winter: Out 6.30am with hay, back in between 4.30pm and 6.30pm depending on weather.