Competeing affiliated in hoof boots?

Mizzbecx

Visit site
I competed my youngster this year barefoot and he struggled on the grass doing dressage, I would like to compete him affiliated next year and I know I will need studs.

I would prefer not to shoe him but I will if there's no alternative but I was wondering if anyone knows if hoof boots that you can put studs on are allowed in affiliated BD, show jumping etc?

Also has anybody got any recommendations on hoof boots?

Thanks,
Becx

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
The bast way would be to find out from the rule books. I can't see them being allowed for BE, but prepared to be corrected and I should imagine would be seen as an unfair advantage in other disciplines.

I would look to diet and checking that the horse is 100% in tack and soundness etc. as while grass can be slippy for barefooted horses, most people find the grip can be better.

ETA: just checked the BD rule book:

Hoof boots or any form of shoe replacement which cover the bulb of the heel are not
permitted during competition.

Mizzbecx

Visit site
Thanks guy I didn't think they would be allowed everywhere tbh, it was only the one time I had a problem but I think it's because they cut the grass the day before and left it on the field so it was very slippery :(

Darremi

Visit site
Surely you would not be looking to jump in those boots? They strike me as rather dangerous. What happens if the horse clips the back of a boot and it partially comes off? Could cause a nasty accident.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Surely you would not be looking to jump in those boots? They strike me as rather dangerous. What happens if the horse clips the back of a boot and it partially comes off? Could cause a nasty accident.

Could say the same about metal shoes...

OP, boots allowed for BD but in all my time I've never come across BD on grass so that aspect shouldn't be a problem :)

Darremi

Visit site
Actually a metal shoe is very thin and therefore even if misaligned it is far less likely to trip the horse up. A partially displaced hoof boot would almost certainly make the horse trip and fall because he wouldn't be able to put his foot down properly.

Imagine trying to run with a partially removed trainer? Not easy huh?!

They are an accident waiting to happen if one was to jump in them.

Wheels

Visit site
Checking the rule books - Hoof boots are not allowed in BD or BE unless it's for lunging or warming up, not sure about BS but I wouldn't have thought so

My horse is barefoot and we do wear boots for hacking but not in a million years would I wear them for jumping - I agree that I don't think they would be safe, no hoof boot fits 100% fit, they are not made to measure, they are chosen on best fit and the hoof invariably changes throughout the trimming cycle. The possibilities for them coming loose or coming off are too great.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Actually a metal shoe is very thin and therefore even if misaligned it is far less likely to trip the horse up. A partially displaced hoof boot would almost certainly make the horse trip and fall because he wouldn't be able to put his foot down properly.

Imagine trying to run with a partially removed trainer? Not easy huh?!

They are an accident waiting to happen if one was to jump in them.

My horse who is huge moving behind caught and pulled off his hoof boot in front trotting up a lane the result was spectacular it was like falling down a hole .
I won't trot in them now.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm not sure they often become partially displaced though as Darremi is suggesting, I mostly seem to read reports of them coming off entirely- and few seem to have had huge issues with that even when the boot is attached to the leg with a gaiter.

I suspect it depends a lot on the type of and fit of the boot too.

fwiw if I wanted to show jump competitively on grass I would shoe.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
My experience of hoof boots was that I did not like cantering in them neither did my mare. Mine were Boas and a good fit too, but just by the nature of what they are they are bound to be mre cumbersome than without. All the ones used in the serious endurance competitions are very thin and glued on - there has to be a reason for this and I think it speaks volumes. I certainly would not jump in them.

Wheels

Visit site
OP I think you have to decide how committed you are to BF and to seriously competing - if you choose your venues carefully it may be possible to compete to a good level in any of the disciplines

Quite a few of my local XC places have sand / gravel or something similar on take off and landing of the jumps, pure dressage is mostly on surfaces as is pure SJ, personally where I am I would struggle with some dressage and SJ within eventing as for most venues you are expected to complete these phases on grass

If you are determined to event or compete on grass you may find yourself deciding between BF or competition

dominobrown

Visit site
TBH I would rather jump properly barefoot than with hoof boots on. They are clumsy clunky thinks, and IMO the horse's actual hoof is less slippy. Think trainers on wet grass!
Depending on the hoof shape and trim so horses cope ok barefoot on grass slippage wise. Barefooters will know what I mean!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I'm pretty certain they aren't allowed, you're not allowed any type of hoof boot which covers the coronet band I think was the rule, which they all do to stay on. Shame, as like you OP I'd like to do the odd event with boots on as I'm not a fan of shoeing but have always had to so far during competition season.

Cragrat

Visit site
I frequently have this debate with myself. My horses have been barefoot for many years, and happily hunt and compete at local level. However, my son has started affiliated BE. He did two last year, barefoot (horse not him!) and didn't have any problems. But in the back of my mind, I am always wondering if a point will come when I have to think about more grip.
FWIW, I think I would look into some form of glue on shoe rather than a conventional boot, although the glue on renegade boot, which can have studs, looks interesting.

eta the glue on renegade doesn't cover the coronet or heel bulbs, so I think would allowed.

LMR

Visit site
I checked with BS and the response was there is no rule to say u can't. She did state another rule saying that any tack shouldn't hinder the horse.

I personally wouldn't jump a horse in hoof boots but a friend does regularly

Jnhuk

Visit site
Last edited:

nikkimariet

Visit site
I'm not sure they often become partially displaced though as Darremi is suggesting, I mostly seem to read reports of them coming off entirely- and few seem to have had huge issues with that even when the boot is attached to the leg with a gaiter.

I suspect it depends a lot on the type of and fit of the boot too.

fwiw if I wanted to show jump competitively on grass I would shoe.

That's the angle I was getting at!

If I wanted to be competitive on grass I would shoe and stud up (as long as the horses long term soundness would not be compromised).

spookypony

Visit site
A few separate questions here!

First, regarding the dressage on grass: it sounds like your problems were a bit situational: riding a young (possibly unbalanced, on account of being young?) horse on really wet grass. It may well be that he would struggle a lot less if the grass were drier, or once he has developed more. So it may well improve.

Regarding the dressage-legality of the boots, IIRC, you need dispensation from BD to use them if they go above the coronet band, and that dispensation is only temporary. But as others have said, the Renegade glue-on should be fine for that (and I think can be studded). So that would be an alternative to consider.

Regarding the advisability of jumping/going fast: if the boots fit properly, you should be able to go fast without losing them. Am happy to gallop in Renegades, but for my pony, Gloves need a huge amount of athletic tape and lots of hammering to stay put, so don't trust them as much on him. I would jump in boots but ONLY if I had tested that make on that horse sufficiently at speed and turns to be sure that they will stay put. I know some people do, but I haven't sufficient experience with it to trust it.

EstherYoung

Visit site
All forms of hoof protection have their strengths and weaknesses, and some kinds of short wet grass are the most challenging for boots - very short cropped grass with dew or sheep ***** is the worst. If we're riding and come across a bit of terrain that is slippy in the type of footwear (or lack of footwear) the horse is using, we put the handbrake on a bit till we've crossed it. Horses for courses applies. Over hard ground, rocks and mountains, boots are far superior to shoes in terms of the level of protection and grip offered (and the renegades/gloves and their ilk are snug and non-clumpy), but if I were looking for something specifically to give grip over slippy short wet grass, boots wouldn't be my first choice.

Nb When endurance riders glue on, it's not because of the risk of losing one, it's because it's one less thing to rub. Or they've got a horse like our spud who can't tolerate neoprene.

Fuzzypuff

Visit site
IME hoof boots are either on or completely come off, they don't slip partially off. However, if the boots fit properly they don't come off. I have a big moving WB and have had no problems, and we do fast hacks including going through mud and water no problems. I also did hunter trials and sponsored rides on my old horse in hoof boots, no problems at all.

What about the risks of pulling a shoe and a nail puncturing the sole/frog?! I'll take hoof boots any day!

OP you could also look into Epona rubber shoes if you find you need to shoe, but they are expensive.

Lgd

Visit site
BD just don't run on grass nowadays. Our last local venue that did BD on grass stopped about 5 years ago as they could not get the entries because it was grass (wimps! I competed to PSG on grass). You could use any hoof boots before but that was changed to the current ruling due to potential welfare issues being hidden by them.
Not seen a grass warm up for a long time either.
My old lady competed barefoot for the last few years of her BD career and she went to Inter I. She is still completely barefoot at 24yo - makes a nice liar out of those who think TBs have poor feet :D