Competing and babies- three day events.

Katastrophy

Visit site
I have a three week old baby. The driving trials season for me starts in April/may usually, however this year I have absolutely no idea if/how I'm going to manage. We're looking at mostly two day events (Friday PM to Sunday PM) with a couple of nationals thrown in (Thursday am to Sunday pm). I'm formula feeding (not by choice) and childcare during the day, when I'd be able to ride, is limited to my dad, who's 70 and views the baby as a terrifying ticking bomb- he's currently mucking out for me daily as he's happier with the horses! Any hints? Tips? Ideas? I do have a large 17 tonner with living.
Thank you!

VRIN

Visit site
Your dad will start to get more used to the baby as she/he grows a bit - a long time yet in baby terms till April/may. Encourage him to push the pram around while she is sleeping...

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Taking the baby with you should be easy enough. IMHO if you're used to packing a wagon for stay away events packing for a baby is just the same, just need more wipes! If you have a microwave or hob in your lorry sterilising for formula should be no issue. I'm sorry to hear you're feeding formula if that's wasn't what you wanted, it's hard! X

And then I say, give yourself a break, you have a three week old baby!!! That said excluding any health issues, babies are much easier to manage in their newborn state so make the most of it. Once they can move and have an opinion it's much more interesting!

Would your OH not go with you? I would say go for it if you want to, but be prepared for everything to go wrong, this is certainly why they say yo never work with children or animals! I would also search for posts by Hot2Trot if you haven't read them, not only are they hilarious they might highlight some pitfalls of competing with a baby!

Fiona

Visit site
You have a big enough lorry to bring all the volume of stuff that a baby needs, so one problem solved ;)

Smallish immobile babies who sleep in prams are quite easy to work around, and your dad will only be in 'sole charge' when you are actually driving, so hopefully by May he will have calmed down a bit..

Fiona

Katastrophy

Visit site
Thank you ladies- I've been reading hot2trot's posts throughout my pregnancy and had a good giggle, now that it's my turn, it's rather terrifying!

Llanali

Visit site
Perfectly do able :) I camped in a trailer and borrowed a friends microwave with my small daughter at three day SJ when she was 5/6 months ish :) she was formula fed too, not by my choice either but once I got over my disappointment and guilt it was easier: as Fiona says, anyone can feed!

I'm sure by then your dad will be OK to walk around with a pram too :) its a long time away in terms of changing relationships between grandads and babies!

Katastrophy

Visit site
Thank you! At the event, my dad will be fine with the pram, it's the daily fittening work that's needed to get the horse up and going that's concerning me, I need a good two hour slot three days a week to give him 16/18 km Trot and canter work to get him fit enough to go out competing. I can wait til oh is home, but then I'll rarely see him- one out, one in! Decisions decisions...

HotToTrot

Visit site
Well done you. Can you do fitness in the arena? He might well sleep in the pram whilst you ride; he's young enough. Otherwise, I'd try to pay someone to have him whilst you ride. And you won't have to flop about with your boobs hanging out all over the place - good luck and keep us posted.