Competing at the GYS

sarahann1

Visit site
After much humming and haaaing, I’ve decided to take the baby boy to the GYS for the PB CB class and Hunter Breeding 2yr old class. I’m aware we’ll likely be hopelessly outclassed, but I’m willing to spend the money to come last (and it’s an excuse for me to buy a new better fitting tweed, don’t tell husband).

What I want to know are the practical things like, what are the stables like? How far from the lorry park are they? Etc etc? Any info gratefully received ? I’m heading down with folks who’ve been before.

humblepie

Visit site
Exciting. I have looked at competing as would be a nice one to do. Can't add any helpful other than heard great things about the atmosphere there so hope you have a fab time.

countryal

Visit site
Go for it! It is a great show.

I took my 3yo last year, and it was her first stay away / big show. The stables are a mix of wooden and concrete blocks so are solid! No temporary stables / flapping etc. A decent size. Unless you are on an aisle where the public walk through, they are generally quiet and found mine settled well. They are in close proximity to the rings.

Straw bedding is provided, although some prefer to take shavings.

The stables are quite a walk from the wagon park, allow 10-15 mins depending on how far away you are parked. The warm up / exercise area is in the wagon park too.

Overall a really lovely show, great atmosphere and experience, especially for youngsters - and you always end up with a lovely picture!

sarahann1

Visit site
Go for it! It is a great show.

I took my 3yo last year, and it was her first stay away / big show. The stables are a mix of wooden and concrete blocks so are solid! No temporary stables / flapping etc. A decent size. Unless you are on an aisle where the public walk through, they are generally quiet and found mine settled well. They are in close proximity to the rings.

Straw bedding is provided, although some prefer to take shavings.

The stables are quite a walk from the wagon park, allow 10-15 mins depending on how far away you are parked. The warm up / exercise area is in the wagon park too.

Overall a really lovely show, great atmosphere and experience, especially for youngsters - and you always end up with a lovely picture!

Fab, thanks so much! Can the public access the stables area or are they closed off? Im already far too overexcited about it all!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I was there with a 2yo, I found the stables fine, if hot. There were walkways from the stables to the main arena to keep you separate from the public, but they were actually very busy and only (at that time-it may have changed) a single rope, so not exactly a barrier for an excited 2 year old.

We got the horses from the car park into the stables early, before it was too busy.

The collecting area we had to share with ridden horses from the class before, which was running late, and it was too far back to the stables to get a drink or go back until the collecting area was clear.

The roped off walkways were actually quite oppressive for a baby horse, although we didn't have an issue. It didn't help that grooms/connections etc were also using the horse walkways, so that made them busier, especially for the couple of prams with parasols!

It was a fab feeling, to show in the main arena. Good photos too!

sarahann1

Visit site
I was there with a 2yo, I found the stables fine, if hot. There were walkways from the stables to the main arena to keep you separate from the public, but they were actually very busy and only (at that time-it may have changed) a single rope, so not exactly a barrier for an excited 2 year old.

We got the horses from the car park into the stables early, before it was too busy.

The collecting area we had to share with ridden horses from the class before, which was running late, and it was too far back to the stables to get a drink or go back until the collecting area was clear.

The roped off walkways were actually quite oppressive for a baby horse, although we didn't have an issue. It didn't help that grooms/connections etc were also using the horse walkways, so that made them busier, especially for the couple of prams with parasols!

It was a fab feeling, to show in the main arena. Good photos too!

Great info, thanks a grooming bag water bottle will be added to my list. I’m intending on having as many folk as possible from yard standing twirling umbrellas and pushing pushchairs round our arena for a good spot of desensitisation before we go.

humblepie

Visit site
Not about GYS but in general drives me up the wall when people use the horse walks particularly when they are connected to competitors but seem to have no concept that there is a horse behind them.. coming through.....!

windand rain

Visit site
What drives me nuts is people standing in the warm up watching either using the horse as a sofa or not aware of the moving animals. Mostly in the wh which means it's dangerous