Competing barefoot on grass?

Stella

Visit site
My mare has been barefoot for a couple of years and this year one of the centres I plan to compete at (dressage) runs some classes on grass. I'm aware that people with shod horses tend to use studs on grass and I'm also aware that the bare hoof is said to have better traction anyway. I worry though that it may not be enough and that my mare may slip
shocked.gif

I'd love to hear about other people's experiences of this.

kizzywiz

Visit site
My mare is only shod in front, so not exactly the same as yours, however my farrier told me exactly as you said that a bare foot will have more natural traction, the frog makes grip. I have never had any trouble with her slipping when jumping or dressaging on grass, but I do put studs in front. Hope that helps a bit.

pootler

Visit site
I event a barefoot horse, he has become better and better over the years. In my view there are a number of factors to take into consideration on grass. Last year he would slip about on grass in the dressage, this year he is much more balanced and does not slip at all.

He has been 100% surefooted in very muddy, deep going. The going that worries me is where it has been very dry then lots of rain as this makes the surface slippy or long grass with a covering of dew.

My view is that if when warming up he slips too much - I withdraw (which is yet to happen). I am not a professional and do not need to run whatever the going. I am a happy amateur who likes keeping her horse happy, sound and barefoot. I am not prepared to compromise this and if I have to withdraw so be it!

We are due to do our first pre-novice this weekend so we shall see how he copes with a very hilly course and showjumping on a slope. My slight concern is my times which are early when the grass (which is long) may be dewy. If he doesn't slip I will know that I don't need to worry in the future.

clipclop

Visit site
I don't worry about it at all. I only have a field to School in and most of that is on a slope. We have no probs with slipping. The more balanced your horse is the better.
smile.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
I competed my welsh cob for a year unshod. He was fine most of the time, but TBH he did start slipping jumping on grass and it began to loose him confidence. Since he had shoes on and studs behind, he's so much better.

Its really up to you, Id say try it and see!

Baydale

Visit site
Pootler, please be careful! I rode one barefoot at Moreton Morrell last year (not mine!), and all was fine (dressage ok, sj on a surface), but the cross country was on what I would call cow pasture ie. long, lush grass, which was very wet. On his way to the first fence he did a sharp duck left, quick dive right, then as he took off his back legs went from under him and he and I were wiped all over the timber wagon. It took me 6 weeks and a shed load of physio/chiropractic treatment to get me right again, and I gather the horse's confidence is not what it was before the accident. I'm sure in any other conditions this would not have happened, but it has certainly clarified my views on eventing barefoot.
frown.gif

pootler

Visit site
Thank you Baydale, don't worry, if I have the slightest doubt in the warm up for the show jumping or cross country I will call it a day - it's not worth the risk.