Competing Butt Ugly Horses

ihatework

Visit site
Come on, we need a photo.

I had this as a seller a couple of years back now.
A bit cut'n'shut, roman nose and slightly fugly in my opinion. I called him my '****** pony'

But he was cute as a button and fun to jump, I really fell for him. And based on having him when I purchased my next keeper, I wanted smaller and chunkier than my previous horses!

RedConfo.jpg

applecart14

Visit site
However, handsome is as handsome does.

I haven't heard that quote for years but I do love it!

It is very true.

It's also true of horse boxes. I've seen some really smart horse come out of really smart big horse boxes and do a dreadful jumping round and then someone turns up in a rusty old horse trailer, which contains a horse which looks like its been dragged from a muddy field, complete with muddy tack and an old moth eaten show jacket and they have gone on to win the class!

fruity

Visit site
Ah all the horses shown so far i don't think are ugly! My 2 mares are the opposite of each other,one is vv pretty and has fab conformation. The other has always had a slight ewe neck,large head,big ears,short neck for body and head size but i wouldn't change her for anything! She definately wouldn't win the prettiest mare competition but she is very very good in other ways so you have to take the good with the bad i suppose!

Here is the madame herself,posing bless her:

311224_10150342350298582_658333581_9680540_4739433_n.jpg

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Having always had smart looking horses I now find myself riding a truly fugly coloured cob. Think big head, weak neck.....you've got the idea. If im honest I am not the enthusiastic to take him out to compete. Vain? Moi?

Opinions please :)

One of the best little horses I have ever seen compete was at (I think) Sapey.

Butt ugly little roan, cob mare - competing with uber smart eventers. Won her class in superb style - and a more honest, competent and fabulous animal I've never seen. A blank cheque wouldn't have been enough to sell her if she'd been mine.

And yes, when I first saw her I had a little sneer. That'll teach me!

Firewell

Visit site
I'm lucky enought to have a truely beautiful horse but to be honest it wouldn't bother me what my horse looked like as long as it did the job and gave me a good day :). I'd rather have an ugly but good horse than a beautiful one that I couldn't do a damn thing with :).

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Ihatework - that is a smart cob compared to Blob! I will pop a photo on when I am near 'puter

Think I'd cope better if he wasn't still a bit green, he's much better that a couple if months ago but still not there yet....

*note to self-laziness and 4 yr old cobs do not mix*

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
You see, I love unconventional looking, odd horses - they have no expectations to live up to and therefore always exceed them :)

Give me one of those with a bit of character than a shiny boring TB bay with no soul anyday I'm afraid.

Worried1

Visit site
Clever plaits, big wide noseband and browband and if you're still ont convinced... when can I pick him up ;)

Gamebird

Visit site
I'm with you FMC, but I was clearly inebriated when I bought a horse that is actually called Fugly. I think he's improved as he's grown up but he definitely has a 'bad' side and must have looked horrific as a 2-3yo. He was bad enough as a 4yo when I bought him! I figure I can't see how ugly he is from the saddle so try to spend as much time as possile in it and as little as possible on the ground looking at it :eek:.

ps. mine's pretty fat and a bit thick to go with it :eek:

TheoryX1

Visit site
As said before, handsome is etc. I am partial to a nice cob, having owned a very handsome, well put together black one one for 8 years. Do love a bit of cobness, its also very comfortable out hackng to have a leg at each corner and a nice big pair of shoulders in front, plus a huge bum behind (his not mine!). OK, it needs a pelham with double reins and does a great line in on the ground barginess due to him being allowed to know his own strength before I bought him, but I love him. Does get me a bit annoyed when they are looked down on by some riders, as they are very versatile, dont need feeding and fannying around over, and are usuallly more sound than a posh TB or a WB, but its each to their own, and I dont want to get into a NL type row over cobs.

However, if he does the job well, you will be have no end of offers of people wanting to buy him when you do sell. There are a lot of cob lovers out there and he will do well I am sure.

I can never work out this thing people have about cobs, and why they feel that they have to be rude about them (OP, I am not suggesting for one minute you are being rude by the way). I suppose they must be like Marmite - either love them or hate them, but I guess someone may feel fit to enlighten me.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
As said before, handsome is etc. I am partial to a nice cob, having owned a very handsome, well put together black one one for 8 years. Do love a bit of cobness, its also very comfortable out hackng to have a leg at each corner and a nice big pair of shoulders in front, plus a huge bum behind (his not mine!). OK, it needs a pelham with double reins and does a great line in on the ground barginess due to him being allowed to know his own strength before I bought him, but I love him. Does get me a bit annoyed when they are looked down on by some riders, as they are very versatile, dont need feeding and fannying around over, and are usuallly more sound than a posh TB or a WB, but its each to their own, and I dont want to get into a NL type row over cobs.

However, if he does the job well, you will be have no end of offers of people wanting to buy him when you do sell. There are a lot of cob lovers out there and he will do well I am sure.

I can never work out this thing people have about cobs, and why they feel that they have to be rude about them (OP, I am not suggesting for one minute you are being rude by the way). I suppose they must be like Marmite - either love them or hate them, but I guess someone may feel fit to enlighten me.

Now, I too love a good cob, I just dont think that Blob/Cob is a good cob, you see. I think I need to make him MUCH fatter. Barley rings have worked wonders on Chunks. He's starting to build some muscle behind the saddle, but i fear there is no saving his neck.....

Link to pics (from prob Jan/Feb time, i think):

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150698817109808.456155.538479807&type=3

In this one MH did her clever "dealerphototrick" of stnding him up hill! Girl's a genius....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150501728734808&set=t.538479807&type=3&theater

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
Yup, he has a butt ugly head!!!!

However his neck isn't as bad as I was expecting, and it will continue to build nicely with work, and the hog suits him.

You have similar issues with the muscle over the back and quarters as I had with mine, it will come with time and improve the confo appearance!

He is a sporty cob type rather than a true show cob - embrace it!!!
Can he jump?

And definitely get a different noseband on him, it will make a huge difference to his head.

Baydale

Visit site
I quite like a horse with a big head, in fact they're almost my default as I don't do pretty ponies.

I do think the element of surprise - whereby your butt ugly horse performs beautifully - can go a long way towards making you lurve them, warts an' all. A case in point, this one would never win any beauty contests, would he? :rolleyes:

picture.php

vallin

Visit site
Apart from the head he's really not that bad! And I agree re a big chunky, hunter-style nose bad, and the god is defo the way forward!

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
I dont think it really matters what a horse looks like, as long as he does the job! ... saying that, I have to admit, there have been times where I've been quite vain about my horses looks :eek: and my 2 previous mares were absolute stunners... that clinched it for me when I handed over the cheques for them both :D

nikkimariet

Visit site
Nothing to add except thread cheered up my grotty ill self!! Please provide pictures of Cobs success :)

Last edited:

Theresa_F

Visit site
He is not that bad, though his head is not the neatest.

Having had two clydesdales, though Farra actually has a dainty head for a heavy horse, you need a 2" noseband, 1 " browband and 5/8 or 3/4" width leather to make it look more neat.

Farra-Aug2010.jpg

Since this photo was taken, Farra has really matured and looks much more in proportion and I am sure that if he can be chunked up with muscle, he will look far more nicely put together.

Sportznight

Visit site
I quite like a horse with a big head, in fact they're almost my default as I don't do pretty ponies.

I do think the element of surprise - whereby your butt ugly horse performs beautifully - can go a long way towards making you lurve them, warts an' all. A case in point, this one would never win any beauty contests, would he? :rolleyes:

picture.php

:eek::eek: Don't be so rude to HH!! I loff him!!

Jesstickle

Visit site

picture.php

That's a lovely looking horse :confused:

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
He is not that bad, though his head is not the neatest.

Having had two clydesdales, though Farra actually has a dainty head for a heavy horse, you need a 2" noseband, 1 " browband and 5/8 or 3/4" width leather to make it look more neat.

Since this photo was taken, Farra has really matured and looks much more in proportion and I am sure that if he can be chunked up with muscle, he will look far more nicely put together.

Thnak you will give that a go :) (Sorry MH is lgged on here and I didnt realise.....agaain. Duh.)

mellissa

Visit site
I have always had super looking horses.

I showjump and have been told by my trainer that it doesnt matter what it looks like, its whether it jumps well. I wouldnt have an ugly husband or horse as I have to look at it every day!

However: I have bred an ugly youngster. When he was little he was beautiful, then he has gone ugly, ok, ugly, nice, hideous in that order. He has the most amazing jump, this is what he is intended for and I pray that by the time he is four in two years time, he is going to be lovely. He has a "workmanlike" head, a bit like his sire, but moves exceptionally well so that along with his temperament helps him!

I only see him a few times a year, and he was a very late foal- end July. This has not helped his maturity. I will see him in July when he turns 2 yrs old and I really hope he looks better.

TheoryX1

Visit site
Oh FMC he is not Fugly in the slightest. What a lovely face he has got, and such a sweet expression. I bet he loves a nice cuddle. Being slightly critical he has a white muzzle, and its a bit of a pet dislike for me, but it wouldnt stop me buyng a really good horse, if everything else was as I wanted. He has very kind eyes, and once you have done a bit more work on him, I think he will look superb.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
this fugly managed to go intermediate eventing a few years down the line from when this photo was taken...

Pict0056.jpg

I have two very good looking horses with delicate heads on now. Would still swap the pair of them to have the chap above back in his youth. Awesome horse, no oil painting, but a wonderful gentleman.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
if it does the job does it matter what it looks like, as said before handsome does etc

let me tell you the tale of "PIG"

about 12hh ish (hard to tell under all that hair and therwell mane)

when i was a teenager back in the 80s in deepest darkest somerset "pig" was the pony to beat!! all the other finer prettier ponies competed against "pig" learnt to bow down to pig, guaranteed to be in the ribbons if not the top three, dragged out he field and would floor the field. wish i had a photo to show how truly therwell pig was.

from experience there is nothing better than beating the pretty horses with a fugly, it shows you have a wider appreciation of horses and can see the inner ability