Competing easily stressed exracehorse

Lastpick

New User
Visit site
My horse retired from steeplechasing last year, I bought him this summer as a blank slate and with the help of my trainer, have been bringing him back into work. He shows great potential and absolutely loves to jump, he's extremely athletic and I do believe with more work he could go far. He does however, easily stress, especially in situations that remind him of racing; that's why he was retired. If it's loud and busy, lots of horses or any thing he is unsure of, results in him spinning, rearing, walking backward, excessively chewing on the bit and stamping his hoof. This is now a rare occurance as I've learnt how to handle it and he has settled in. But I would like to take him, with my trainer, to some small local shows in the upcoming months. But I worry that he will become extremely stressed in these situations, leading us both to loosing are confidence. Is it possible that even if he finds the shows stressful at first, with patience and ensuring each experience is a good one for him, he would improve?Would a calmer be worth considering? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

crabbymare

Visit site
I would start by taking him out and hire the arena, then gradually add recorded music, announcements, friends with their horses. When he realises its not racing, take him very early to some smaller shows and just ride around the car park until he is calm, and go in the warm up while others are walking the course and do a clear round jumping from a trot so that he learns to relax. It takes a while but is worth it longterm

Shay

Visit site
It should be possible to get him to settle if you take your time - just as you have at home. I would add to the helpful suggestions above going out to clinics so you can go from the arena alone to the arena with a few people in a training mode before going for a show. And I would suggest spending a long time in the "going just to look" stage. (Check with the secretaries fit but most places are perfectly happy with this.) Make every outing positive for him and he will settle in time.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Completely agree. You need to do some re-conditioning. Take to as many shows as possible but without adding in any pressure to work. Keep it simple at first, tie to lorry/trailer and let him just eat. Once he's calm after a few shows, tack up and walk round, ride if you think it won't tip the scale. Add in warm up, do clear rounds etc.

I spent a whole year doing this wit my 3yo very hyper mare before her first shows and by the time it came to proper showing she was pretty laid back.

LPL

Visit site
I think it is just exposure. I’ve been really lucky with my two and they’ve taken to new lives really well but I definitely feel I can take some of the credit. I make sure hey are pushed every day, we go out in the van every weekend be it hack, lesson dressage etc until they are ready to take the next step. Today pea, just two months out of training went on a very busy pleasure ride. Last month I wouldn’t have dreamt of it but he has been doing lots and lots of gradual building up of situations. The week before he won his first dressage test.

Even at home, I put ‘crap’ out in the schoo. Barrels, poles, cones, dressage boards just to wander around and just has to get used to it. Keep calm, be consistent and try not to panic yourself. It’s so easier said than done but the calmer you can be the calmer they will be. Good luck!