Competing from the field

4faults

Visit site
I am having a bit of a dilemma and would really appreciate some advice please. I have been offered a field to rent and Im very puzzled over what to do for the best.

I have two 17+h warmbloods who have always been stabled throughout their ridden careers but I am hoping to get them out competing this year. I have always been on yards where horses are primarily stabled with some turnout during the day and Im wondering how I can make them living out work with this. There is apparently a field I could ride in when the weather is good and with the money I would save on livery I could afford to hire arenas a couple of times a week but is this really feasible? There would be no access to stables at all but there are several livery yards in the area in the case of an emergency.

I only want to do prelim/novice with my girl this year, she is a nut so im thinking living out could take the edge off her, and OH's horse, who drops weight at the blink of an eye, will be doing BN/Disco so not exactly big leagues but I can I keep them out 24/7 and ride less often and expect them to be able to compete? Also my Section B is coming home in the next few months and I really couldnt afford 3 on livery.

That is all a bit muddled sorry but I have been thinking about it all day and my head is hurting!! Tea and biscuits available to anyone whw can offer their experience or advice :)

angelish

Visit site
i tried it last year with my project horse as i can only really afford to keep one (my other is off with injury) and i really struggled when his winter coat came in :eek:

i only lasted until nov and i had him clipped and in, although i am soft and am of the thinking that if you clip them (any more than a bit clip) you should bring them in at least on a night time and in the very worst of the weather

it was this i struggled with as even though i rugged really early he was sweating and it was taking some managing drying him off and trying to keep him tidy was almost impossible
as he was constantly covered in mud :(

also if you want to compete unless they are both bay/dark colored with very little white have you thought about how you going to get them clean/tidy enough to go out in public without somewere to stable the night before

sorry a bit glum ,it is possible but is hard work and i really struggled to manage and i wasn't competing him at the time i was only trying to cope with riding him approx 4 times a week :eek:

dafthoss

Visit site
Yep I have done and will do again. I find it quite easy really in the summer he is washed in the evening before and then his tail is plaited so it doesnt get knotty, his socks chalked and then he has a fly rug on to keep the dirt off. With that he doesnt really need much of a touch up in the morning and he is just rechalked.

In the winter he is fully clipped out head and legs included so before a show he is hot clothed with dettol and then his white bits chalked again then turned out with a full neck. In the morning he just has his legs washed if they have got dirty over night which they rarley do and his backs rechalked.

I find it much easier as I dont have to worry about how long we are out for as he can go back out over night so he always has some turn out each day. He has a shelter that he uses quite a lot in various weather and if its really cold then I put hay and water in there but if not he has to rough it out side if he wants to eat.

4faults

Visit site
I am quite lucky in that they are both dark bay with only one White sock between them and neither gets a huge winter coat. I'm thinking of signing a 6 month contract and seeing how it goes for the summer and then having another hard think before next winter because as you say I can imagine that being quite a struggle. And your not glum, your just honest ;-)

dressagelove

Visit site
TBH im slightly confused at your post, of course you can do it! And it will do the horses a world of good mentally. I would think you will see a drastic improvement in their way of going as well, as being out 24 /7 keeps them looser, stretching over their back while grazing all the time etc.

My boys stay out 24/7 fully clipped, loads of hay etc, plenty of feed, shelter, and rugged, and they have both wintered out so well, and kept all their weight on, looking a million times better than last winter when they both dropped their condition after being kept in!

Im schooling medium and competing BD elementary btw.

Get it done!! :D

BYR

Visit site
We keep all three of ours out 24/7, we do have stables, but never use them!

My main comp horse is competing Elem BD & BS 1.10 Newcomers and he is GREY!

Over the summer its easy, he has baths when he needs one and goes out with a fly rug on which keeps him clean over night then just a brush and touch up in the morning.

Last winter he had a trace clip and coped fine, so this year we gave him a full clip (minus head and legs) and he has been fine with that as well, he has two under rugs and his turnout on top and hes always snuggly warm when you take them off.

I will say snuggy hoods are your friend! He has been wearing their turnout hood now for about the past 3 months and comes in 99% mud free every day to be ridden which is much nicer!

I agree with dressagelove they keep much more supple and loads fitter as they are moving around all day and night and never just stood in a stable to stiffen up!

We don't have an arena either but manage fine schooling in the field, and hire out and arena every so often to practice with jumps when needed. If you can school well in a muddy grass field, when you get to a lovely surface to compete you will be even better!

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
I hunt mine during the winter so he is clipped right out, but lives out all year round, he looks & feels fab, wears a variety of different rugs & is as happy as larry (& much prefers being out than in!)

angelish

Visit site
:) I think I'm now just spoilt having a stable :eek:
I just couldn't do it but I do also struggle to get up in mornings and have mine ready the night before so I can stay in my bed till the last sec and just load up :eek:

Years ago I had a tricky coloured mare that wouldn't stable and I did manage perfectly well then but it did involve getting up much earlier to get her clean and to ensure I could catch her before the wagon left with out us :eek:

Good luck I'm sure the horses will be much happier for it :)

star

Visit site
always kept mine out fully clipped and rugged up in winter - had 3 different horses of varying types and they've always thrived on this routine. better for their lungs and their legs to be out and about. they keep themselves fitter out too.

pipsqueek

Visit site
Tea and biscuits? will answer for tea and chocolate cake :D Would keep mine out 24/7 and they really do not ever want to come in, they're out 24/7 summer (and compete bs but only lower levels) . In at night in the winter but the rest of the yard comes in and I usually hunt once a week so want them dry and mud free. If yours are warm and fed and appear happy i.e not waiting at the gate and wanting to come in then just get on with it :)

4faults

Visit site
I'm sure they will love it and as 1 drops weight at the drop of a hat and the other gets stiff quite easily I'm sure it will do them the world of good. I'm more worried about not having access to stables or an arena, I can section part of the field off to ride in but then have to hope the other stays quiet enough not to get me thrown off haha. Thanks everyone some really positive stories I think im definitely going to try it

monte1

Visit site
TBH im slightly confused at your post, of course you can do it! And it will do the horses a world of good mentally. I would think you will see a drastic improvement in their way of going as well, as being out 24 /7 keeps them looser, stretching over their back while grazing all the time etc.

My boys stay out 24/7 fully clipped, loads of hay etc, plenty of feed, shelter, and rugged, and they have both wintered out so well, and kept all their weight on, looking a million times better than last winter when they both dropped their condition after being kept in!

Im schooling medium and competing BD elementary btw.

Get it done!! :D

I totally agree with this post, my two now live out 24/7 fully clipped and rugged appropriately. both have never looked better and are much more relaxed when we go compete!
I would say go for it!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Anything is do-able. I have always kept my horses out 24/7 and competed, but then again I do have a stable which I can use when required - like with my grey horse for example I wash him the night before and keep him stabled overnight if its an early start the next day (and he needs to be clean like a BE event, if its just something local / unaffiliated I'll just spot wash him in the morning). If you've got a bay / chestnut etc. then you dont have to worry about cleanliness so bad!

The dropping weight thing etc. shouldn't be agravated by having her out, if anything she should gain weight as she'll be able to graze all the time etc. Just ensure she's rugged up appropriately and given hay.

I only have a field to ride in too, no access to a school and I very rarely hire anywhere. You have to tailor that days riding plans to the weather but it is do-able. I've had no problems getting my horse to CIC* and 1.20m BSJA doing this ;) Although it does help to have a naturally fit horse anyway (which keeping them out helps with I think). It really depends on the horse, I can go a week without riding my horse (if the weather is horrific) and drag him out to a BE Novice or whatever no problem but mine is a very well behaved / consistent horse! I think once they get used to it, they're fine.