competing in uniform?

milz88

Visit site
Hi, just wondering what people think of service people competing in uniform in eventing...its not uncommon I know, e.g. Vittoria Panizzon, Captain Richard Waygood to name but a few.

So if you were in a service would you wear your uniform, or does it depend whcih service you are in? thanks.

Shipley

Visit site
I have ridden in uniform, its not much different from riding in competition gear really, I did have to get permission and I was proud to wear it but believe its down to individuals

rema

Visit site
I think it's nice to see the uniforms being worn in competitions.Like the other poster said if i was in the services i would be proud to wear it.
grin.gif

milz88

Visit site
Hmm I would be too, as I just got hold of my RAF No.1 jacket that I have to wear at the upcoming champs in order to compete so I was thinking about wearing it in BE events, its only the jacket that makes it any different! But i'm always proud to wear my uniform whether its greens or not as I work hard to be in it!
smile.gif

teapot

Visit site
It's the origin of Eventing so why not?
grin.gif

I'd only do it though if I was in full service & if you're competing under your military rank. Not say Cadets, OTC/URNU etc or half and half. If you're going to do it, do it properly as it were!

Someone who used to work for my dad (who's forces) competed BE in uniform under her full rank etc.

milz88

Visit site
hmm well I have my ranks slides on my jacket and wings and propellors and RAF, so does that count?

I think I will wear it for RAF champs as I have to and then maybe for one or 2 last BE's where no one from the yard will be, e.g little downham and see what the response is/isn't.

teapot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
hmm well I have my ranks slides on my jacket and wings and propellors and RAF, so does that count?

I think I will wear it for RAF champs as I have to and then maybe for one or 2 last BE's where no one from the yard will be, e.g little downham and see what the response is/isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me - it doesn't! You should be "rank so and so" riding x" rather than your normal name but in uniform. It's not something you should split personally. Either you're proud enough to ride in uniform and USE your rank with your name or you don't wear the jacket if that makes sense?

So I agree with Major Dickie Waywood but have always found it weird that Victoria Pannizon is just that, no more but still rides in full uniform
crazy.gif

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
In the force that Claire is in they don't have dress uniform as standard so she has to apply each time she wants one and go and collect one. Problem is they are not allowed to jump in them only parade or do dressage. She is allowed to jump in her police fleece which is ok. In fact she is going to get one tomorrow for Gatcombe military novice.

Wishful

Visit site
A lot of Italian sportspeople are in the forces as a form of sponsorship. I'm not sure to what extent they have a rank - promotion being based on sporting results rather than military/police achievements. The Italian Carabinieri have a number of members who parade about twice a year and have no other duties. It dates back to when some sports had a requirement for all competitors to be "amateurs"...

milz88

Visit site
I see what you mean Carthorse, well I just thought since mine sits in my wardrobe I could well wear it to BE events that i'm competing in. And good luck to Claire at Gatcombe,
laugh.gif
hope she has a fantastic time!!

Wishful- at the moment i'm in the process of filling out forms to receive my funding from the RAF sports board they also pay me as 'duty' to go to the champs, so i'm going to look into any other forms of sponsorship I can get from them...hopefully!

qwertyuiop

Visit site
I can't wait to see some people from South Derbyshire Refuse Collection Services, or Nottingham City Council Traffic Warden competing in their uniforms.

What would be great to see would be a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police competing in their red tunic. That would be worth watching!

milz88

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I can't wait to see some people from South Derbyshire Refuse Collection Services, or Nottingham City Council Traffic Warden competing in their uniforms.

What would be great to see would be a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police competing in their red tunic. That would be worth watching!

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm well although they do work for government agencies, if said South Derbyshire Collection Services worker was indeed a competitive rider and felt they wanted to compete in their 'uniform' Hi-viz perhaps, then i'm pretty sure they'd have to be allowed, but until that day perhaps lets just expect to see the uniformed services such as 3 x blue light services, military, HM agencies etc.......but if they are proud enough to wear their uniform....well what can I say, at least they have a job and are earning their money

trundle

Visit site
So if you are in the services and compete as say, Captain Susan Brown, wearing your uniform, do you have to get some sort of permission from your CO? Do you represent the Army in any way, shape or form (OBVIOUSLY not if you're in the Navy!!) or are you still a private individual?

qwertyuiop

Visit site
I used to be in the RAF and I would never have worn my No1 jacket for riding. 1 because it was hideously uncomfortable (seriously restricted arm movement) and hot. 2 because it was so expensive that I would be terrified of damaging it.

TarrSteps

Visit site
It seems much more common on the Continent - perhaps, as mentioned above, because riders seem to often draw sponsorship from whatever organisation they belong to. Michael Klimke often competes in uniform and Klaus Balkenhol did right up to the Olympics, which I thought looked very classy. Of course, he and his horse also did regular mounted patrol duty so perhaps they took it a bit more seriously!

I suppose it's seen as good pr and since some European countries still have some form of compulsory service I presume it comes up much more often.

Presumably people in that situation have specially made uniforms for the purpose though.

Do you not have to ask whichever Force you're with for permission? I would have thought they had some say in the matter.

Saf

community.webshots.com
I have worn mine a few times for Windsor services SJ and also for some BSJA and dressage but so far not for BE. BE is my passion and want to keep it for me not work
wink.gif
grin.gif

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
If who ever you are serving for/under doesn't object I think you should wear your uniform, if you are proud of it! I think I would. But I agree with previous poster that you should also enter with your rank i.e. Lt. blah blah.

I don't think you would get a bad reception (if I was in England I would give you an extra cheer!). I think uniforms look smart, it is a reminder of where the sport started, and if you can get some sponsorship - well thats just a nice bonus!

Also I think it is good for the sport. It shows that we are not a bunch of rich lay abouts who spend their time playing 'horsies'.

Trundle - why "OBVIOUSLY not if you are in the navy"?

milz88

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If who ever you are serving for/under doesn't object I think you should wear your uniform, if you are proud of it! I think I would. But I agree with previous poster that you should also enter with your rank i.e. Lt. blah blah.

I don't think you would get a bad reception (if I was in England I would give you an extra cheer!). I think uniforms look smart, it is a reminder of where the sport started, and if you can get some sponsorship - well thats just a nice bonus!

Also I think it is good for the sport. It shows that we are not a bunch of rich lay abouts who spend their time playing 'horsies'.

Trundle - why "OBVIOUSLY not if you are in the navy"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you,
laugh.gif
I think it must just be personal preference, well I will see how much/little movement I get in it when I compete at the champs, and also its in October so I probably won't have to worry too much about getting hot, and secondly I HAVE to wear it in order to compete, the RAF do encourage wearing uniform in public where you can, although this did not always happen to be the case.

I may stick to just using it for important/special stuff!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I've seen a girl competing BSJA at Weston Lawns in Army Uniform. She looked extremely smart. She had an army numnah & from what I remember she wore uniform as the army were paying something towards her livery or competing costs. I suppose they consider it all part of P.R.
smile.gif

Halfstep

Visit site
In Ireland, if you are lucky enough to be in the Army Equitation School, your job is both military and equestrian. Hence you compete in uniform entered under your rank (Captain Shane Carey, for example). I just hope that the school survives the current cutbacks in the Irish army!!!

cglen

Visit site
Yep in Ireland Army Equitation School ride in uniform and Capt Brian Curran-Cournane and Capt Geoff Curran event in uniform. It was only at the Olympics last year that Geoff was not allowed to compete in uniform and it was kinda weirdo not to see him in uniform.

milz88

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen a girl competing BSJA at Weston Lawns in Army Uniform. She looked extremely smart. She had an army numnah & from what I remember she wore uniform as the army were paying something towards her livery or competing costs. I suppose they consider it all part of P.R.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like what I would be doing, as since any riding I do as my 'sport' I get paid for as duty....and I'm about to start discussions over further funding today infact, I also get to compete with an RAF numnah so I will see what happens,
laugh.gif

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

To me - it doesn't! You should be "rank so and so" riding x" rather than your normal name but in uniform. It's not something you should split personally. Either you're proud enough to ride in uniform and USE your rank with your name or you don't wear the jacket if that makes sense?

So I agree with Major Dickie Waywood but have always found it weird that Victoria Pannizon is just that, no more but still rides in full uniform
crazy.gif

Dear "Teapot"..
I came across your very fair comment and decided to register to explain my decision. I agree entirely, I should compete under my rank, and in Italy I would certainly be expected to as I am a member of the Italian Air Force sport group and my job is therefore to represent them in sport.

I am an Aviere Capo, but have decided not to trouble the commentators any more than necessary since my name alone leads to long pauses and a variety of incorrect pronunciations. (Your own mis-spelling proves this!) My previous rank was even trickier.

I believe "Aviere Capo Vittoria Panizzon" really too much to expect the British Eventing scene to have to put up with, hopefully the "Areonautica" won't tell me off!

Best regards

brighthair

www.wannabeadressagediva.wordpress.com
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm well although they do work for government agencies, if said South Derbyshire Collection Services worker was indeed a competitive rider and felt they wanted to compete in their 'uniform' Hi-viz perhaps, then i'm pretty sure they'd have to be allowed, but until that day perhaps lets just expect to see the uniformed services such as 3 x blue light services, military, HM agencies etc.......but if they are proud enough to wear their uniform....well what can I say, at least they have a job and are earning their money

what do fire and ambulance compete in?! sorry genuine question, I have seen police etc but no others

Zebedee

Visit site
BRC allow competitors to compete in their service uniforms, but BRC hat & spur rules still apply.
When Carthorses daughter & another member of her club compete in their uniforms they get a lot of enquiries about their jobs, what they do & how people can find out more.
Great PR & looks very smart too.

FrodoBeutlin

Visit site
Dear "Teapot"..
I came across your very fair comment and decided to register to explain my decision. I agree entirely, I should compete under my rank, and in Italy I would certainly be expected to as I am a member of the Italian Air Force sport group and my job is therefore to represent them in sport.

I am an Aviere Capo, but have decided not to trouble the commentators any more than necessary since my name alone leads to long pauses and a variety of incorrect pronunciations. (Your own mis-spelling proves this!) My previous rank was even trickier.

I believe "Aviere Capo Vittoria Panizzon" really too much to expect the British Eventing scene to have to put up with, hopefully the "Areonautica" won't tell me off!

Best regards

What an honour to have such high-profile riders on this forum :)

Keep up the good work, Vittoria.

blakesmum

Visit site
When I was on the RAF Equestrian team I was entitled to a 2nd number one jacket to ride in, the Station tailor altered it so I had room to move and fold. It also meant there was no danger of getting in trouble with the Station WO for turning up on parade in a jacket with horse slobber on it. I still have my saddle cloth too :D
I contemplated wearing my uniform for BSJA as I was proud of the fact I was in the RAF (still proud to have served) but as my OH pointed out, it doesn't half make you stand out which is great when you are having a good day, but what about when you have a bad day lol so I decided to stick with my traditional black coat for civilian stuff :D . That and I couldn't be bothered with the hoops I would have had to jump through to get permission :rolleyes:

at the moment i'm in the process of filling out forms to receive my funding from the RAF sports board they also pay me as 'duty' to go to the champs, so i'm going to look into any other forms of sponsorship I can get from them...hopefully!
Good luck. The only funding for horse riders when I was in was for those of us on the team and all it meant was you got your milage, entry fees and stabling paid for but we never received a penny towards civilian comps . Oh and everyone else could claim milage to the champs etc but nothing more :( Might have changed now :)

BlakeRAF.jpg
Us at the Aldershot Show in '04